What's new

Meet Us At The Diner

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We've all heard the saying "that's why you make the big bucks"- well I have something new. Anytime I discuss the greatness of Boar's Head lunch meat, one of my guys (jokingly) gives me grief about me buying the fancy stuff while he has to get the Great Value stuff at Walmart. So, I fixed a big problem the other day and he said "that's why you buy the Boar's Head and I buy the Great Value" :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We've all heard the saying "that's why you make the big bucks"- well I have something new. Anytime I discuss the greatness of Boar's Head lunch meat, one of my guys (jokingly) gives me grief about me buying the fancy stuff while he has to get the Great Value stuff at Walmart. So, I fixed a big problem the other day and he said "that's why you buy the Boar's Head and I buy the Great Value" :)

Beans are a heck of a lot cheaper than beef. That's why people started to put beans in their chili (really, look it up). Not me, when I don't have enough money for beef I just add more peppers.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Google Fiber will be installed in my house next Tuesday. I hope goes off without a hitch. I'm going with the full package; internet & TV. I'm assuming they will install fiber-optic cables from the box attached to the house, route it through the roof and down into the wall, etc.

Google Fiber will be installed in my house next Tuesday. I hope goes off without a hitch. I'm going with the full package; internet & TV. I'm assuming they will install fiber-optic cables from the box attached to the house, route it through the roof and down into the wall, etc.
I am quite jealous...

I would pay way more than they charge to get some sort of really high bandwidth solution to my house. :(

I'm pretty sure that the fiber will run only to the box on the house, and then it would be coax cable or ethernet cable for the internal runs. I'm not familiar with their equipment to know where the tv/data stream separations take place, but most have some sort of box inside the house that breaks out the services separately from there.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I would pay way more than they charge to get some sort of really high bandwidth solution to my house. :(

I'm pretty sure that the fiber will run only to the box on the house, and then it would be coax cable or ethernet cable for the internal runs. I'm not familiar with their equipment to know where the tv/data stream separations take place, but most have some sort of box inside the house that breaks out the services separately from there.

See, that's what I was thinking. There shouldn't be any thing more to do for the technician, other than connecting his google fiber cable to the existing coax cable.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

What's the difference in what you have now? Just better speed or something else as well?

We are waiting for fibre optic but it's a few years away still. It's at the top of my street but that may as well be on the other side of the world as the online site says 2020 before it comes down my street. What the....

The government just gave the OK this week to stop supplying the copper network as of 2020. They hope to have most of the country wired up by then but this fast internet is slow in the making.....how ironic. A wireless network will be available to those who can get it.......yeah right!!!
I'm still on the copper network but I upped the service to VDSL which is a bit quicker.
My telecom supplier contacted me a few weeks back asking if I wanted to switch to their new wireless internet & home phone package. Now I understand what they are up to, they must of already known about the pending announcement.
I passed on the offer as it would locked me in for another year with them and not increase my speed.

Am I the only one who hates locking into a term with a service supplier. I want the ability to walk at anytime if they give bad service.

I'll have a flat white please, no sugar.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What's the difference in what you have now? Just better speed or something else as well?

We are waiting for fibre optic but it's a few years away still. It's at the top of my street but that may as well be on the other side of the world as the online site says 2020 before it comes down my street. What the....

The government just gave the OK this week to stop supplying the copper network as of 2020. They hope to have most of the country wired up by then but this fast internet is slow in the making.....how ironic. A wireless network will be available to those who can get it.......yeah right!!!
I'm still on the copper network but I upped the service to VDSL which is a bit quicker.
My telecom supplier contacted me a few weeks back asking if I wanted to switch to their new wireless internet & home phone package. Now I understand what they are up to, they must of already known about the pending announcement.
I passed on the offer as it would locked me in for another year with them and not increase my speed.

Am I the only one who hates locking into a term with a service supplier. I want the ability to walk at anytime if they give bad service.

I'll have a flat white please, no sugar.

I've seemed to have touched on a sore subject. Ha, I can do that ya know...ha, ha.

The bandwidth is much more robust at 20 times what I have now and the price is less. What's not to love. I should have taken some pictures of the construction in the neighborhood and posted them in your old "construction" thread in the Darkroom. They used the biggest and baddest vacuum cleaner truck I have ever seen. When they turned that thing on it made the toilet water rotate in the opposite direction.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've seemed to have touched on a sore subject. Ha, I can do that ya know...ha, ha.

The bandwidth is much more robust at 20 times what I have now and the price is less. What's not to love. I should have taken some pictures of the construction in the neighborhood and posted them in your old "construction" thread in the Darkroom. They used the biggest and baddest vacuum cleaner truck I have ever seen. When they turned that thing on it made the toilet water rotate in the opposite direction.

Don't mind me, its been a rough few weeks......

My current internet speed is ok and I can wait. I just wish they could complete the upgrade before pulling the plug on what we have. Then again if they could make it reliable and well priced I would change today.
My father was the Manager for a telephone exchange before it all changed. You know where the operator connected your toll calls. LOL. A lot has changed since then.
Operator, can I make a collect call to Texas please :)

I would have liked to seen that big sucker.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Don't mind me, its been a rough few weeks......

My current internet speed is ok and I can wait. I just wish they could complete the upgrade before pulling the plug on what we have. Then again if they could make it reliable and well priced I would change today.
My father was the Manager for a telephone exchange before it all changed. You know where the operator connected your toll calls. LOL. A lot has changed since then.
Operator, can I make a collect call to Texas please :)

I would have liked to seen that big sucker.

I would take a collect phone call from you.

...probably wouldn't understand a dang thang your saying though.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I would take a collect phone call from you.

...probably wouldn't understand a dang thang your saying though.
But would the operator understand me. Oh, no operators anymore.
I'm sure you would pick up on the odd word.......Kai Ora, blar blar blar steak, blar blar blar BBQ........ :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here is an off the wall one that could fit either here or the Haberdashery. I am in the habit of wearing white t shirts. Every single time I go out and eat spaghetti, I always manage to get at least one red spot on my shirt, to which the wife always rolls her eyes and makes quips about buying me a bib. I think I need to buy a red t shirt and make it my official spaghetti eating t shirt. Growing up watching Star Trek, however, I have eschewed the wearing of red shirts :)

Here is an off the wall one that could fit either here or the Haberdashery. I am in the habit of wearing white t shirts. Every single time I go out and eat spaghetti, I always manage to get at least one red spot on my shirt, to which the wife always rolls her eyes and makes quips about buying me a bib. I think I need to buy a red t shirt and make it my official spaghetti eating t shirt. Growing up watching Star Trek, however, I have eschewed the wearing of red shirts :)
I have an opposite issue to that. Anytime I find myself working with flour and I wasn't planning to, I somehow am wearing a black shirt... My wife also rolls her eyes at me.. every time. lol

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have an opposite issue to that. Anytime I find myself working with flour and I wasn't planning to, I somehow am wearing a black shirt... My wife also rolls her eyes at me.. every time. lol

Ha, yeah, every time I make spaghetti I'm wearing a white shirt.

...and every time I manage to get a spot....it doesn't matter how hard you try not to.

Top Bottom