What's new

The Sprout-2017

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice plants Chris. Your poblano is huge. I've got mine in pots and they are somewhat stunted, but putting out peppers though.

Looking very lush there Chris! Bounty of basil ready to be put to use.

For anyone wanting to try growing peppers or small tomatoes in pots, the Jan/Feb 2017 issue of Popular Science has a one page article on a reservoir system using a pair of 5 gallon pails plus a few other bits, looks worth giving a try.

Weather today, shorts and t-shirts. Can't recall ever wandering around in this part of the world during February wearing shorts. We have people in t-shirts and shorts then you have those who dress by the calendar and they're bundled up in parkas, scarves, hats...

Was 18.7C, ~66F.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The pot will limit its grow but maybe they want a little bit more warmth before taking off.
Hard to say, as I can't see any photos........
I've got some bigger pots. I'm thinking about moving one poblano over to it and see if it likes it better. I use the heck out of poblano's. The wife can't eat regular bell peppers but she has no problem with the poblano.

Aaron has your wife tried Super Shepherd type sweet peppers? A long horn shaped Italian, thin skinned and great flavour, better then bells, sweeter. The plant breeders haven't bred the flavour out of them yet, they're un-uniformly shaped, deformed and around here it's not unusual for them to be $1-2 cheaper per pound then the bells. A total win.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've got some bigger pots. I'm thinking about moving one poblano over to it and see if it likes it better. I use the heck out of poblano's. The wife can't eat regular bell peppers but she has no problem with the poblano.

If when you replot it, it's rootbound then that should help.

My photo is not clear but the mess of plants is two jalapeno and one poblano. It may appear like one big plant but it's not. Still they are getting big.
I've been feeding my pepper plants the same as the tomatoes.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron has your wife tried Super Shepherd type sweet peppers? A long horn shaped Italian, thin skinned and great flavour, better then bells, sweeter. The plant breeders haven't bred the flavour out of them yet, they're un-uniformly shaped, deformed and around here it's not unusual for them to be $1-2 cheaper per pound then the bells. A total win.

dave

Dave, I haven't heard of that pepper before. I'll look it up and get back to you. I've still got plenty of time for order, germination and growth. I mean it's only 92 degrees with 35 percent humidity today.

If when you replot it, it's rootbound then that should help.

My photo is not clear but the mess of plants is two jalapeno and one poblano. It may appear like one big plant but it's not. Still they are getting big.
I've been feeding my pepper plants the same as the tomatoes.

I feed my peppers like tomatoes too. I learned to spray on Epsom salts to the leaves, which they absolutely love.

Aaron this is the one i grow as it's not much more then a foot tall but super productive in pots. I can get seeds locally so well suited to my environment, not sure how it might do in superheated Austin.

Tolli's Sweet Italian Organic Pepper - Seed Savers Exchange

On a side note another local seed house has Poblanos & Anaheim seeds suited to our climate so the plan is to give those a try. Mid/late March start for those seeds.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I need a bigger bowl. There was still a bit more ready to pick.

I may try making a tomato relish

20170226_085553.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
14 Tomato plants planted over the weekend. 4 in pots, two in the new bed and 8 in the old bed.
IMG_2751[1].JPG

New bed with a make-shift row cover using mosquito netting. Works great to keep cats from pooping in the bed and bugs from eating the leaves. I'll make a hoop for it later. Lettuce, dwarf pak choy, fennel, red and golden beet root and spinach. Tomatoes at the far end.
IMG_2752[1].JPG

Micro dwarf cherry tomatoes...Gold Pearl.
IMG_2753[1].JPG

Tomatillo's in the back, then Bhut Jolokia, Habanero in the cage on the left, poblano, Filius Blue, Pequin peppers. Lemon grass in the wihskey barrel, rosemary in the upper right.
IMG_2754[1].JPG

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
New bed with a make-shift row cover using mosquito netting. Works great to keep cats from pooping in the bed and bugs from eating the leaves. I'll make a hoop for it later. Lettuce, dwarf pak choy, fennel, red and golden beet root and spinach. Tomatoes at the far end.
View attachment 764857

That seems like it would make an easy greenhouse too. Maybe just toss some clear plastic over the top instead of the net?

Did I miss the explanation on how you made it? Was it as easy as it looks?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
We have plants all over the house! So much it's overwhelming. Corn, green beans, tomatoes, peppers, peas, watermelon, cantaloupe, grape vines, cabbage, a bunch more I'm forgetting.

IMG_4166.JPG
IMG_4169.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG
IMG_4168.JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looks like you're set for when spring arives Jason.

I had a overflow of tomatoes from the last picking, so made a tomato relish.

20170304_092029.jpg

That cleaned out the bowl but it's full again from picking today.

20170304_175812.jpg

Last edited:
NTx guys???? Is your stuff already in the ground??? I'm to scared that were going to get that late winter freeze!! I have potatoes, carrots, onions, shallots and parsley going nuts with all this warm weather but haven't planted anything else yet. Just scared I'll loose it in a freeze close to Easter. Its happened before!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Still too early to start seeds indoors here. I did receive a couple of shipments of seeds.

I did a massive trimming back and lifting of perennials including rose bushes, hosta, phlox, etc. Most have landed for a short stay in the area I grow vegetables. Spring will be the time to add back peat moss and composted manure before transplanting these plants back. Some of the seeds are annual flowers to fill in a bit.

This year veg will be tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and herbs. I'm not doing lettuce and bok choy this year. I love them and they grow quickly but the return for effort just is not there for me.

My wife asked me to grow some zucchini. I think I have just the place. . . . love planning. Not even all that hard to put things in. The hard part is actually tending.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh yeeesss!!! Where is that happy, happy joy joy icon.

Anyways...after a few days of not getting the big lawn mower to start...I put a new starter (it was bad) and solenoid on it, and even after I found a tooth missing on the flywheel that could kinda keep it from starting...the battery that showed fully charged...wasn't. Put new battery in today and wall laaa...it starts every time. Still need to put on a new flywheel though.

Got the yard that was starting to get out of hand cut down, and now can mow down the garden area to get it ready. Everything else has started up good...the generator, big tiller, baby between the rows tiller, etc. so I'm good on the other power equipment.

It's a bit late to start some stuff planting, but can get some things in...if I don't get flooded out with heavy rain again this year.

Top Bottom