What's new

If the tobacco price doubled...

As you can see, it adds up fast so dive in, build it into a hobby and have fun. As price said, today is as cheap as it's gonna get.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't think I will ever be in the same league as many here when it comes to the sheer amount of tobacco and pipes many here acquire. I am very impressed by the cellar pics and pipe collections I have seen here.

I have begun a very basic collection of a few of the popular pipe tobacco's I have read about and will probably end up just having a few pipes, 1 Peterson 1 Savinelli 1 Meerschaum and a few Cobs. I truly believe that what I have acquired, I was able to accomplish this small goal fairly inexpensively, just from checking into this sub forum and reading.

I know I have made better deals and smarter purchases from all the information I have learned here. I have spent much more in the past on cigars and am even buying less there, since getting interested in the way of the pipe.

Well, I guess it's not a contest of who can amass the most pipes or tobacco. It really is about enjoyment. Some enjoy collecting more than smoking, others enjoy smoking more than collecting. Some buy tobacco to last a lifetime, others buy just as they need it. There is no right or wrong way to do it. I love pipes and smoking, but I don't have much of a collection of either. It is cool to see what others have collected though! I especially like pictures of smoking rooms, garages, sheds and the sort.

When I began smoking cigarettes, in the 1960s, a pack of Camel non filter cost $0.30. When I began dipping snuff in 1971 a tin of Copenhagen cost $0.30. I haven't done either in 16 years, but the last I checked a pack of Camel NF in these parts is about $8.00 and a tin of Copenhagen $7.00.
I think a pouch of Half & Half may have been a buck in the 1980s when I began smoking a pipe. Now I pay north of $30.00 for an 8oz can of Robusto, and about $50.00 IIRC for a pound of bulk Early Morning Pipe or G&H Rum Flake.
If it weren't for the Internet, and if I had to pay the Florida state vig on the tobacco it would be prohibitive. I'm sure it will double eventually, but maybe I won't be around to see it.

Well, I guess it's not a contest of who can amass the most pipes or tobacco. It really is about enjoyment. Some enjoy collecting more than smoking, others enjoy smoking more than collecting. Some buy tobacco to last a lifetime, others buy just as they need it. There is no right or wrong way to do it. I love pipes and smoking, but I don't have much of a collection of either. It is cool to see what others have collected though! I especially like pictures of smoking rooms, garages, sheds and the sort.
I'm only hoarding so much, because I'm a 31 year old pipe smoker with the FDA regs looming in less than two years.

I wouldn't have nearly that much if I thought that I could easily buy tobacco for the next 40+ years.

I'm only hoarding so much, because I'm a 31 year old pipe smoker with the FDA regs looming in less than two years.

I wouldn't have nearly that much if I thought that I could easily buy tobacco for the next 40+ years.

Same here. I calced out in another thread that I need about 100lbs of tobacco to last my lifetime. I hope to hit 50 lbs before any major price changes occur. Then I can slowly fill out the rest as I go.

Paul's question and answers in this thread is A concern. Time to buy more tobacco.

Hey Paul, can your family gift tobacco and ship it to you?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I feel your pain here in Canada, tobacco is priced very similarly to the UK. Don't smoke as often and me, I go for quality over quantity.
I am the same way with steak. If I have the choice between one rib eye a month or 6 sirloins a month, I will wait for the rib eye.

Paul's question and answers in this thread is A concern. Time to buy more tobacco.

Hey Paul, can your family gift tobacco and ship it to you?
I'm sure they could, but I don't ask. I could order from a US retailer and have it shipped to my folks, and they could then ship to me, but I couldn't ask them to pay for that additional shipping. So, hypothetically, by the time I pay for shipping twice, I could just purchase from a UK retailer, without all the hassle. There are a lot of blends still available in the UK that are constantly sold out in the US, but many of my favourites are sold out on both continents at the moment.

Don't you readily have access to Rich Dark Flake over there and we fight for it here under Stonehaven like a pack of starving vultures?

250grams is the limit per flying passenger. I've been searched before, so I don't mess around with customs officers! I'll be taking my 11 year old son with me...I've been contemplating putting an additional 250g in his luggage, but as he's underage I'm not sure I can get away with that!

Don't you readily have access to Rich Dark Flake over there and we fight for it here under Stonehaven like a pack of starving vultures?
Yeah, Rich Dark Flake, and Brown Flake, and Special Latakia Flake are all readily available, but it's always what isn't available that is the most attractive! Orlik Golden Sliced, which is one of my all time favourites, is now no longer available in the UK. So naturally that is what I want to stock up on when I go to the states in May. A lot of the Peter Stokkebey blends available in the US cannot be bought in the UK (and PS Luxury Twist Flake is all sold out in the US too!).

250grams is the limit per flying passenger. I've been searched before, so I don't mess around with customs officers! I'll be taking my 11 year old son with me...I've been contemplating putting an additional 250g in his luggage, but as he's underage I'm not sure I can get away with that!

I'd make a call to the customs department at whatever airport you'll be flying in to. I know US customs tends to let a lot of stuff like that slide. It's worth a shot.

I once received a package from a fellow Brown Leafer on the continent which contained some delicious Swiss & German chocolate, and was marked as such. His pen must've run out of ink before he could note the dozen or so packages of Salty Dogs that were also in there.

Top Bottom