What's new

Which do you prefer, an aggressive or a mild razor?

Aggressive for me. I have a thick beard but sensitive skin, so as few passes as possible works best for me. I can get a great two pass shave with my Timeless .95-- once WTG and once ATG. With mild razors I have to take several passes and end up with weepers and razor burn. Part of my problem could be technique, but I'll stick with what works.

Efficient is what we all want, Mild or aggressive doesn't matter, there's more to razors than just blade feel. I think some guys equate their manliness with aggressiveness and feel the need to buy aggressive.

I don't need an aggressive razor, I don't have a heavy beard. I just like the way an aggressive razor feels on my face. I find it soothing. Razors like the Fatip or the Ever-Ready 1914 just feel good to me.
I can also enjoy a mild razor sometimes. The first time I used a Merkur open comb razor like the 41c, I loved it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Efficient is what we all want, Mild or aggressive doesn't matter, there's more to razors than just blade feel. I think some guys equate their manliness with aggressiveness and feel the need to buy aggressive.

+1 Hey ya! Well said! Right now my three favorite razors in order are: 1. Fatip Testina Gentile, 2. Piccolo, and may I dare say a dreaded zamak razor? 3. the Muhle r89. Of the three the Piccolo is classified as aggressive but it is so smooth.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I like something in the middle (perhaps a touch closer to being aggressive), which is the Fatip Testina Gentile. The shave feels great, I get very little blade feel and blades often feel rough before I feel overt tugging. I can get a good number of comfortable shaves on the blades I use in this razor as opposed to my more aggressive razors, and it still takes the hair off efficiently. This razor strikes a great balance.

I do like me aggressive razors (to a point, the Ikon Tech is too much for me) but those are the tools I use for longer stubble. The Gentile is a great daily razor.

Sweet! The Testina Gentile is my favorite razor. It is the perfect balance of brain and brawn (lol). It is an absolutely brilliant design.

I rotate between a Merkur 1904, and a Gillette Super Speed 1953 (Y 3). I don't know if these are considered agressive, or mild, but they both give great shaves.

I rotate between a Merkur 1904, and a Gillette Super Speed 1953 (Y 3). I don't know if these are considered agressive, or mild, but they both give great shaves.

Which Merkur 1904, the 41 or 42? The 41 (open comb) is considered my many to be the mildest razor of all.

So I have been shaving with a Merkur 34C for about 2 years (my only razor) until recently. I bought a Ikon B1 Slant head, and have been using it without any luck. Its been irritating the hell out of my neck. So I am going to say I prefer a mild razor. I do have some vintage Gillette's (NEW, 1954 SS, 1979 SA) on the way so I will update this when I try them out. Not sure if they are considered mild or aggressive? Any thoughts?

I like aggressive razors. Sometimes if the razor is mild and the blade is nearing the end of its use, going over certain areas doesn't remove hair.

I have all kinds of razors. There are days I prefer a milder razor and others I prefer a more aggressive one. It depends on the mood of the day and the days of growth. I have a full/ tough beard.

I have been DE shaving for about 2 months now. Using an AS-D2 with Personna blades, very comfortable shave but the sharpness drops off after 3rd day. Was using this for about 3 weeks consistently.
So I decided to load the Feather blade into my AS-D2 for today's Monday shave. Still quite comfortable...but feels very sharp around the lip area. But the shave today was much closer than last few week's Personna.
YMMV....will keep at the Feather over the next few days to see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes a shave or two to break in a feather blade in my personal opinion but I can get 5 or 6 shaves out of one. I love feather blades and have tried many others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So I have been shaving with a Merkur 34C for about 2 years (my only razor) until recently. I bought a Ikon B1 Slant head, and have been using it without any luck. Its been irritating the hell out of my neck. So I am going to say I prefer a mild razor. I do have some vintage Gillette's (NEW, 1954 SS, 1979 SA) on the way so I will update this when I try them out. Not sure if they are considered mild or aggressive? Any thoughts?

Don't know about the others you mentioned but the Gillette NEW is about in the middle of the aggression scale.
A little more aggressive than your 34C.

It takes a shave or two to break in a feather blade in my personal opinion but I can get 5 or 6 shaves out of one. I love feather blades and have tried many others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yep leatherdog, the Feather was still a wee too sharp on sensitive areas on Day 3's shave, especially neck area. Will have to work on my technique, that is grip and stroke angle.

At the moment, all my blades will get changed after day 5. Still early days for me, only 2 months wet shaving with DE and SR on weekends when I have the luxury of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my feathers. I like to feel the blade on my face and love the sharpness they have. So I guess I lean towards aggressive

Top Bottom