What's new

Favourite Slant?

I only have one slant razor ----- Merkur 39C. I'm extremely happy with the way it shaves a two or three day growth. Loaded with an Israeli Red Personna blade, I get a comfortable BBS result with two passes and minor touch-up. I rotate between a Merkur 34C and Maggard's MR5-v.3 for daily shaves. All in all, a terrific regime for me.

Slants I've used:

1. vintage Hoffritz
2. Gratiot Krect razor
3. Maggard Slant (the $19 version)
4. Phoenix Bakelite Slant.

I'm going to go with the Phoenix Bakelite.

Would u consider the merkur 45 a slant?
I personally would not. A 'slant' has to either have a twisted head, or sit on the handle at an angle to be considered a slant. I don't have a Merkur 45, but looking at photos it appears to be a straight head at a right angle to the handle.

I have a Razorock SS V4, Ikon SC 102 and Fasan Double Slant. For closeness of the shave Fasan is the best. The smoothest is RR. Ikon is mild but efficient.
slants.JPG

The 37C is the only razor I use period, can't beat it for me, no point even trying, getting close would mean removing skin.

The 37C is the only razor I use period, can't beat it for me, no point even trying, getting close would mean removing skin.

Not even if you get the same closeness but with an even more smooth razor? And what if that razor would align the blade itself. Closeness is just one out many metrics. Smoothness and quality of build are also important, in my opinion.

Not even if you get the same closeness but with an even more smooth razor? And what if that razor would align the blade itself. Closeness is just one out many metrics. Smoothness and quality of build are also important, in my opinion.

Believe me I've done the rounds with razors, I own a few now but the only other razor I'd actually use is an old school Tech, which is the next best thing for me, just not as close. My 37C is well made and shaves like a dream, it's the second one I've had (left my other one in a communal bathroom by mistake and it was gone when I went back for it), they both shaved me exactly the same. Nothing comes close to these razors for me. All the stuff about "aggressiveness" is twaddle to me, I have a tough beard and sensitive skin and the slant and the Tech are the best razors for handling that. Technique, good preparation, a decent blade and a slant/Tech is all I need. I've been DE shaving longer than most on here so I know what works and what doesn't. I had a Futur years ago, lovely to look at, terrible to shave with, great big bulky head, I couldn't shave my moustache area properly due to the head and it didn't glide across my cheeks like it should, an awful design. I've had fatboys, slims, superspeeds the lot, the 30's era American Aristocrat is pretty good, but is a bit too harsh for me with regular use. I don't do loads of passes, I don't need to, it's all in the technique. I understand people who like to try stuff, I've done it myself, but I've learned that it's best to stick to what you know and what works. I never get weepers and a nick is extremely rare using a slant, it's an easy razor to shave with in my experience, nothing beats them, no need to look for the end of the rainbow if you've already found it.

Is there a difference between the vintage Hoffritz slant and vintage Merkur razors? I have had a look at both on eBay and other websites, and I don't see a difference that is noteworthy. I have an iKon X3 with OSS handle, which is my first slant razor. I made the mistake of using the iKon with a Feather blade and proceeded to shred my face to pieces. I should probably started with a Gillette or Persona Blue blade.

Thanks for the input.

I have an iKon X3 with OSS handle, which is my first slant razor. I made the mistake of using the iKon with a Feather blade and proceeded to shred my face to pieces.

Really? The X3 is a very tame slant, regardless of blade, IME. Of the four slants I own, it's the wimpiest - even with a Feather - which makes it more of a chore for me to achieve a reasonably close shave. Neither my hide nor my whiskers are unusually tough, but I'd have to try pretty hard to cut myself with the X3.

I have a Razorock SS V4, Ikon SC 102 and Fasan Double Slant. For closeness of the shave Fasan is the best. The smoothest is RR. Ikon is mild but efficient.
View attachment 762473
You know, I have a PAA Slant (basically a Fasan) and a RR and I actually agree wholeheartedly with this observation. That Fasan clone shaves so close and the RR is just smooth as any razor can be.

Also, those are some nice razors you have there.

Last edited:
Really? The X3 is a very tame slant, regardless of blade, IME. Of the four slants I own, it's the wimpiest - even with a Feather - which makes it more of a chore for me to achieve a reasonably close shave. Neither my hide nor my whiskers are unusually tough, but I'd have to try pretty hard to cut myself with the X3.

Thank you for the input. I do have a coarse beard and sensitive skin, more so on the neck than face. I can use my Muhle R41 with a Gillette Blue SS blade and achieve a great shave. I do appreciate the lack of irritation with the iKon X3, I need to spend more time getting used to it and back down on the blade until I have the hang of using it, then revisit the Feather blade, which are my favorites.

Lord Greystoke, which slants do you use and prefer the most?

Thanks,

Don

Wunderbar and German 37.
Lord Greystoke, I am pleased to say that I purchased a German 37 head and used it for the first time two days ago. I put it on an iKon Bulldog handle, with a Permasharp blade and proceeded to enjoy one of the finest shaves to date, with very little skin irritation. What are some of your favorite blades you prefer to use in your shaving kit?

Dchalfy, glad you like it.

I use Feather and Kai blades only. I have US and Israeli Personnas on hand, but seldom use them anymore.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I only have two the Merkur 37c and the Phoenix Bakelite. Of the two, without a doubt, my Phoenix Bakelite is my favorite slant. It is just way more aggressive and efficient minus the work.

011.jpg

Top Bottom