What's new

Tom's Intro to Straights - Down the rabbit hole I go

Great shave Tom. Do you miss the Willie?:lol:

I only miss it indirectly since it allowed me to rekindle my enjoyment with my other products. So next time I am in a rut, I'll bust out the Williams for a week and then go back to my regular stuff. :)

So yeah.... this morning was hectic and was on the clock to get things moving along to kick off my day.

This meant that I had to do a quick shave and get out. No picture today.

Set up:
Gillette Tech Ball End Handle with a Shark blade
Vie Long Epsilon 2 Band Finest Brush
MdC Original Soap
CRSW Jardin L'Orange AS Balm
Terres d'Hermes EdT

I could have grabbed a synth but wanted to use my Epsilon. This guy is probably the most dense brush I have in my den. The tips are soft and scrubby. It really makes me wonder why I have some of my other guys in the den. Top notch and always a joy to use. I used the SV brush a few days ago and I think I like the Epsilon a bit more. The SV brush is a heavy well made brush but it is more of a workout to actually use the brush. Sounds like blasphemy but totally a YMMV thing.

15 seconds of loading and I have more than enough soap to lather up. MdC is definitely one of the easiest soaps to use. Lather creation is done in a matter of seconds. If there was a scale, MdC would be on one end and Williams would be around the globe in another.

I would have gone with my Aristocrat but went with the Tech since clean up is a little easier and like I said I was pressed for time. I don't mind gunk forming on the Tech but I do care about the Aristocrat more. Favoritism at its finest. The Tech is probably my least favorite DE that I have right now (I only have 3 readily available) - solely due to its mildness during the shave. It doesn't mean it can't hold up well. The shave went as easy as it can be after 3 passes. Left with a BBS- (could have been ever so slightly closer in some areas) with a very very mild feedback from the alum block (1 out of 10). The blade was super smooth and honesty didn't know what I was shaving with until the end. Saw the Shark and brought a smile to myself. It was the first blade I fell in love with due to the ease of use of the blade. Sharp enough but provided a smooth, comfortable experience with no harshness at all. The longevity holds up just fine for me since I can get anywhere from 10-20 shaves before I feel like the blade is done. Don't worry I still like GSB a lot more overall. :)

I decided to go with the CRSW because it is quite the moisturizing AS balm and I love the scents. Naturally, the Terres d'Hermes is the follow up scent.

Nice read today Tom. I have been eyeballing the CRSW site lately and even looking at the aftershave options. But with all the different formulas I am feeling a little overwhelmed!

Have a good day sir!

proxy.php

The shaving every other day has been quite a treat. I look forward to it more and more. Yes the down side is that I'm not shaving everyday. LOL

Set up:
Geneva Cutlery Co straight
Tallow + Steel Rainforest Soap and AS
Wolf Whiskers with Envy White brush

The edge on the Geneva has gotten so smooth after all the stropping. The edge feels like one from a JNAT now. I know that jlindy used film to hone this bad boy back in the summer. Haven't even seen a refresh which is nice.

T+S is really easy to use and the scent is so unique. It's a bit heavy on the vetiver but so much more complex. Their Classic (rendition of barbershop) is on the list to try.

So the Envy White knot had a bit of prickliness and it has definitely gone away. It is one of my more scrubby brushes. It's not scritchy either. It has tons of backbone and definitely is a unique knot to use.

The shave ended up with 2 passes with touch up. I skipped XTG. Damn near grail shave today. Face is super smooth. The irritation was 3 out of 10 since I did a little touch up on the chin. It definitely isn't as bad as some of the other touch ups where the irritate made me cringe.

Good way to start a Friday and let's hope it only gets better.

Nice read Tom. And I actually agree with you, the Envy White knot starts out a little scritchy but once broken in it is one of my favorite knots in my arsenal.

Have a good day

Very nice Tom. +1 on the Envy White. Once it is tamed a bit from use it turns into a great and unique knot. More backbone than most boars I've tried, but zero scritch.

Excellent Stuff Tom, I am going to have to try the T&S soaps, as they have been on my radar. I also used one of Nathan's knots today, probably the softest bast feeling knot in my inventory.

proxy.php

Set up:
Ern Ator straight
Thater 4125/2 brush
MdC Rose soap
Brut AS

So I decided to touch up the Ator and I don't think I got the edge as sharp as I could have. It was smooth but could have helped with a bit of sharpness. On the to do list.

Chris H provided me a sample of the MdC Rose and it smells nice. I am not totally in love with it though. I bowl lathered and I think I just don't like bowl lathering. I had a bunch of lather but it seemed a little dry because it wasn't as slick as typical MdC lather.

This brush is in the verge of the chopping block. Nothing wrong with it but I think I like my 4125/1 better.

After 2 passes I was left with a DFS/CCS. I didn't feel like chasing or anything though.

Top Bottom