What's new

Mid-life... I mean, shaving crisis? :S

Ok, the title sounds more dramatic than it is I suppose. I turned 40 last year and realised I'm growing more hair in more places that is considered usual for someone 'young'. Oh, and I recently bought a sports car. Insert cliche here. :)

More to the point, I've become more and more irritated with cartridge razors which I suspected was related to the contact dermatitis I seem to have developed in a few places. On the other hand my cousin tells me that at the same age he had to change shaving tools because his beard became quite a bit more coarse. So he suggested a DE razor and shaving cream rather than cartridges and plain soap.

Well... I'm an Engineer working in the IT business, so any excuse to learn about something new (in a Luddite sort of way) is a welcome distraction from ones and zeros.

So, my experience thus far: Given that my beard isn't particularly coarse or dense I read a little about DE blades and decided to give Astra Platinum blades a go in a Wahl adjustable DE razor. Being unsure about soap versus cream I went for some Geo Trumper's Coconut Oil Shaving Cream with a basic soft/fluffy synthetic brush, just to give my skin a break from soap.

'Read a little about how to create a proper lather, how much water to cream, when and where to build... then proceeded to carve great bleeding scars into my face. I think I missed something. I checked my angles, adjusted pressure and made another pass elsewhere, this time only three cuts.

Ok, you get the idea, I've not used a DE before and clearly need to do a bit more reading. Having shaved everyday for the last 10 days with this setup the cuts are slowly getting less frequent, but I'm yet to get a good single pass with the grain without cutting myself, and the one occasion I dared to go against the grain resulted in bleeding for several hours afterward. First and second day with a fresh blade seem to be the worst, with day three a little better, but by days four the blade is catching and not cutting well then proceeds to the bin.

At this stage the questions begin in my mind; 'Just how long should this take to get better? Or am I doing something wrong?' Learning to use a no.5 plane on gnarly Australian hardwoods wasn't this painful!

At this stage I'm open to any suggestions and advice regarding technique or equipment and welcome your comments and experience. I'm located in Melbourne Australia where we have some access to retail men's grooming boutiques, but certainly not the bewildering array available online.

Thanks in advance for your help, folks.

Dave.

People get used to having to use a lot of pressure with cartridges just to get them to cut (since the blades are so protected by plastic). With a DE you use only the pressure of the razor and that takes a while to really sink in. You also have to get the angle right.

When you get everything right you'll get shaves that are as close as with a cartridge, you should only rarely nick yourself or get irritated skin. When you do get any of that...of course the correct response is to not do that again. :)

Just take your time and get used to doing at least 2 passes if not 3. The chin and under nose area can be difficult and the neck area is where people tend to get irritations until you figure out exactly how to deal with shaving what is essentially a cylinder. :)

Have fun! :)

Welcome to the B&B forums, from a fellow IT engineer who also likes uses hand planes. It probably won't take long for you to start seeing significant progress in your shaving. The biggest "ah ha" moments for me was when I understood what a slick protective lather was and what no, or as little as possible, pressure means. I regularly get a close, comfortable, nick free shave these days.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Hello and welcome, Dave. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

For me, it took about 3-4 weeks of daily shaves to develop reliable, repeatable, consistent technique. Give yourself some time and be patient. You'll get your groove before you know it.

First, welcome to B&B.

The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on each photo to load the actual photo.

For information about blade angle, look here in the wiki.

Welcome to the club, Dave. Glad to have you aboard. Shaving is an acquired skill, and requires technique and practice to learn. Don't give up--the learning curve isn't that steep.

Welcome to B&B. That razor looks a lot like a Merkur Futur. I have one and it is a very smooth and efficient razor. What setting are you shaving with? You might want to lower the setting until you get used to the razor.

Welcome aboard! I suggest that you read through the wiki and watch a few videos. That should help!

Real cuts mean way too much pressure, and your shaving angle is probably too low as well. Lather is probably a factor too, but has more to do with tiny weepers and irritation. Remember, the blade should just barely kiss your skin. Also, be absolutely certain of your beard map. It always baffles me when new guys figure out a month or two in that their beard grows in different directions than they thought. For me, I can see the direction pretty easily with one day's growth.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The thought of letting the razor head and it's weight be the only pressure after coming from a razor made of plastic is probably one of the hardest things to overcome , Pressure and angle ,enough slickness from your lather and do not go over unprotected areas . The razor should not drag on your skin at all ,it should just glide over it.

Welcome Dave! I also work in I.T nice to see more of us. Anyway it kinda takes awhile to get the hang of things. Its like learning to drive. At first you aren't used to the gas pedal or the brakes etc etc but the more you do it the better you will get.
Make sure you get your angle right and let the razor do the work.

So, practice and patience then? :)

@matwho: I think they're the same unit, but the Wahl version is cheaper. I've been using it on the lowest/most closed setting, which I believe is the least aggressive? I do wonder if the fact that it doesn't really hold the blade ultra secure like a screw down system is a problem.

Thanks for your advice, all, it seems clear that the tools aren't at fault, just the tooler-er. I'm starting to notice that my neck irritation is lessening a little, so maybe a dose of patience is all I need.

Dave.

So, practice and patience then? :)

@matwho: I think they're the same unit, but the Wahl version is cheaper. I've been using it on the lowest/most closed setting, which I believe is the least aggressive? I do wonder if the fact that it doesn't really hold the blade ultra secure like a screw down system is a problem.

Thanks for your advice, all, it seems clear that the tools aren't at fault, just the tooler-er. I'm starting to notice that my neck irritation is lessening a little, so maybe a dose of patience is all I need.

Dave.
That blade should not move once the head is pushed down. If the blade moves make sure that head is pushed down all the way, if it moves after that I would think something is wrong with the razor. You shouldn't get blade chatter with any razor.

Nah, no chatter, it just seemed odd that a sharp blade isn't really locked down like most. I don't see that it's actually a problem, more of a perception issue, pointing possible faults away from the real cause. Red herring if you will.

If your confident this isn't the source of any issues, that's enough evidence for me.

Welcome to B&B, Dave. Set your adjustable to a low setting, make a creamy lather, go slowly, no pressure, be patient with your progress, and enjoy! It takes time to unlearn cartridge shaving habits, but you'll get there. :)

Top Bottom