What's new

Timeless Master Kit

Preshave: warm shower
Razor: Timeless .95 Open Comb Base Plate, Smooth Cap, Barbershop handle
Brush: Paladin PK-47 26mm
Soap: Sudsy Soapery White Sage and Lime
Blade: Feather (about 5 shaves on it - I think)
Aftershave: Neutrogena Post Shave Lotion

This shave with the .95 open comb was a lot better than the first. Mainly because I slowed down a bit and focused on technique. Much smoother of a shave and much more enjoyable. The Sudsy Soapery soap is very forgiving and an absolute joy to use. I like the White Sage and Lime scent but honestly for me it doesn't compare to their Peppermint and Lavender which is one of my absolute favorite soaps ever made. Still the lather is exceptional and the post shave is out of this world.

The first pass went off well. The razor feels great on my face and while I definitely know that it's there it's still quite comfortable to shave with. The razor is heavy and smooth as opposed to the lighter more nimble Wolfman made products that I sometime use. I find it to be somewhere in the ball park in terms of aggressiveness as an ATT R1 razor. The pass is quite enjoyable but the razor does demand my attention and respect. The pass is a success as most of the stubble is cleared with no nicks or cuts.

Pass two is more of the same enjoyable shave. It it comfortable and smooth while still demanding my attention. The razor glides effortlessly and the stubble is quickly cleared.

Pass three is mostly clean up as the first two passes have cleared the majority of the previous day's growth. The razor is an absolute pleasure to use. I find it as efficient as an ATT R series razor while still being quite a bit smoother. The large drainage holds make the razor extremely easy to rinse as turning is sideways and running water through these holes clears the shaving cream as quickly as the water touches the razor.

I'm getting used to the more aggressive plate but I think I still prefer the .68 plates.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Shave three with the Timeless .95 OC razor

Razor: Timeless .95 Open Comb Base Plate, Smooth Cap, Barbershop handle
Brush: Rubberset 400 w/TGN Finest 24mm knot
Soap: Tallow & Steel Yuzu Rose Patchouli
Blade: Feather (about 6 shaves on it - I think)
Aftershave: L'Occitane Cade After shave balm

Shave three was better than shave one or two with this razor but I'm finding myself missing my brainless perfect morning shave with the .68 plate.

Today's soap was Tallow & Steel Yuzu Rose Patchouli which was a limited run scent from them for one of the other shaving forums. I find the scent to be exceptional and it's my favorite from Tallow & Steel. I do wish that it would be a regular offering. The soap is fairly expensive per ounce but it's a harder soap that I suspect will last a very long time reducing the cost per shave. Cost per shave for me is the only fair way of how I'd compare a soap's price to another. The soap is excellent and one I'd definitely replace if possible when this one is gone.

I'm not sure what to say about this razor other than it is exceptional. Workmanship, quality of machining and overall performance are all excellent. I've read reviews that compare all others machinery work to Wolfman's and this one is certainly no slouch there. The threads are just as smooth as Wolfman's to me and the build quility is top shelf. They are completely different animals shave wise but both produce the same result for me, a perfect shave. The Wolfman is nimble and efficient while the Timeless is more robust and smoother. The main difference between the two at the moment is that you can order a Timeless and be shaving with it in a week.

The third shave with this razor was excellent. The razor is an absolute joy to use. I prefer the .68 myself but it's a preference thing. The Open Comb plate is without rough edges and gives you the efficiency of an open comb along with the comforts of a straight bar. I find it to be the most comfortable open comb razor I've used.

I followed the shave with some L'Occitane After Shave Balm. This is an excellent balm but it's expensive for what it is, on a positive note a little goes a long way. I usually have this one in my shave den and enjoy using is especially during the winter months.

I'll update this post some more as time permits and I'll be sending the razor off for someone else to try soon.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
i shaved my head with my new open comb .95mm last night. it was a two pass plus touchup bbs, with a gillette silver blue. the bbs lasted 9 hours. the angle of attack is perfect. the razor lets you know that any deviation will cost you, not necessarily in terms of blood, but in terms of irritation: it is aggressive, but not overly so. simply put, it keeps you honest, which is not bad for me, who came from straights...

at 134 grams the heft of the razor makes you really concentrate letting the razor do its job. applying any kind of pressure is a no no. she unclogs easily, but there i found its only defect: she drowns. i don't know if the term exist for you guys. for me, coming from straights, it is when you open the water to unclog the razor, wash it, and when you put it back to your face some water drips from the razor into your head. its a minor thing. probably you face shavers don't even notice it. sometimes is a good thing, if you under hydrated your soap, a couple of drops help to protect your skin. but, it is not a feature i look up in a razor. i know that what i should do is shake the water loose, but somehow i always forget to. :-/

what impressed me most was the fact that i had a super close shave without a hint of irritation. you know, the one we call it exfoliation, which is almost irritation but not quite there... so i went around buffing away with a grin in my face... awesome!

i shaved my head with my new open comb .95mm last night. it was a two pass plus touchup bbs, with a gillette silver blue. the bbs lasted 9 hours. the angle of attack is perfect. the razor lets you know that any deviation will cost you, not necessarily in terms of blood, but in terms of irritation: it is aggressive, but not overly so. simply put, it keeps you honest, which is not bad for me, who came from straights...

at 134 grams the heft of the razor makes you really concentrate letting the razor do its job. applying any kind of pressure is a no no. she unclogs easily, but there i found its only defect: she drowns. i don't know if the term exist for you guys. for me, coming from straights, it is when you open the water to unclog the razor, wash it, and when you put it back to your face some water drips from the razor into your head. its a minor thing. probably you face shavers don't even notice it. sometimes is a good thing, if you under hydrated your soap, a couple of drops help to protect your skin. but, it is not a feature i look up in a razor. i know that what i should do is shake the water loose, but somehow i always forget to. :-/

what impressed me most was the fact that i had a super close shave without a hint of irritation. you know, the one we call it exfoliation, which is almost irritation but not quite there... so i went around buffing away with a grin in my face... awesome!

I noticed the water retention thing as well. Likely just due to the large canals that are present in the design. While they are supurb for channeling the lather they do leave a large spot to accumulate water. I've gotten into the habit of giving it a quick shake after the rinse and it's not something I even noticed again until you mentioned it. The water is present after the final rinse when drying the razor as well. I usually take the razor head apart, pat the blade dry with a soft towel and dry the pieces completely after each shave. I'll either shake the razor to move the water out or I find it's just easier to blow through the base plate to clear the water when it's apart. I suppose I could do the alcohol dip thing to displace the water as well but I find that this cleaning/drying process only takes about thirty seconds and keeps my razors looking brand new.

I suppose it would be nice if I could wipe down the entire razor (including inside the canals) but the design doesn't really allow that as I can't get a towel in there. So it's a give and take thing. For me it's worth it for the better channeling of the lather.

I noticed the water retention thing as well. Likely just due to the large canals that are present in the design. While they are supurb for channeling the lather they do leave a large spot to accumulate water. I've gotten into the habit of giving it a quick shake after the rinse and it's not something I even noticed again until you mentioned it. The water is present after the final rinse when drying the razor as well. I usually take the razor head apart, pat the blade dry with a soft towel and dry the pieces completely after each shave. I'll either shake the razor to move the water out or I find it's just easier to blow through the base plate to clear the water when it's apart. I suppose I could do the alcohol dip thing to displace the water as well but I find that this cleaning/drying process only takes about thirty seconds and keeps my razors looking brand new.

I suppose it would be nice if I could wipe down the entire razor (including inside the canals) but the design doesn't really allow that as I can't get a towel in there. So it's a give and take thing. For me it's worth it for the better channeling of the lather.

My solution for keeping the channels clean and dry after each use is to run a pipe cleaner through them. I had been using a Q-Tip, but that's a pretty tight fit.

For about $4 I got a bag of 100 12" long pipe cleaners, which can then be cut into 3-4" lengths. I'm still using my first 3" section, so the one bag should last a very long time.

After wiping everything dry, I give a quick blow through the channels to get most of the water out, then run the pipe cleaner through. Works great!

proxy.php

proxy.php

My solution for keeping the channels clean and dry after each use is to run a pipe cleaner through them. I had been using a Q-Tip, but that's a pretty tight fit.

For about $4 I got a bag of 100 12" long pipe cleaners, which can then be cut into 3-4" lengths. I'm still using my first 3" section, so the one bag should last a very long time.

After wiping everything dry, I give a quick blow through the channels to get most of the water out, then run the pipe cleaner through. Works great!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ok, so I have to admit that I've thought about doing just this myself, but I dismissed it because I thought it was a bit obsessive. Well, I guess it is a bit obsessive, and I suppose I am too, because you've so easily motivated me to go out and purchase some pipe cleaners.

I'll give it a try soon.

Wish I could get in on this kit as I absolutely LOVE my Timeless .068 safety bar! It is so great that I have gotten rid of most of my other razors. Curious to try the .095. Also, I am curious to try the scalloped base plate. I also wish I could have sent around my Timeless to people wondering. It is just an amazing razor and I am proud to own it. Guess I will have to order the scalloped base plate some day soon.

Also, I am curious to try the scalloped base plate. Guess I will have to order the scalloped base plate some day soon.

The .68 scalloped base is the one that keeps tempting me too since I was having a hard time deciding between that and the solid bar when I got mine. I'm guessing it's not much different in performance, but still tempted by it nonetheless.

Ok, so I have to admit that I've thought about doing just this myself, but I dismissed it because I thought it was a bit obsessive. Well, I guess it is a bit obsessive, and I suppose I am too, because you've so easily motivated me to go out and purchase some pipe cleaners.

I'll give it a try soon.

It probably is a bit obsessive, but I'm kind of obsessed with the razor and want to maintain it the best I can. I love seeing my three razors lined up looking pristine when not in use, and it just seems nicer to me to grab a clean tool when choosing one to use rather than one coated with soap residue. Kind of like breaking out a new razor each shave. I'm a bit of a neat freak though, so I guess that's just my nature in general.

David, those pictures are amazing. I think they show better detail than the photos on the site. Great reviews! Those are some beautiful razors. I LOVE that Barber Shop Pole handle!

David has been kind enough to loan this masterpiece out to the chosen few, and I'm up first.

I haven't shaved with the razor yet, but I wanted to share my Un-boxing impressions

Normally I don't care that much about packaging, as it's the product I care about. However, I'm not blind to art and/or beauty and so when a product's packaging is really great (or really terrible), I take note.

The box here is very nice and i really like the logo inside the box are foam cutouts for each piece along with a thank you card and cleaning cloth. Attention to detail is very high here. This bodes well in my mind to the quality of the razor itself.

Speaking of the razor - it's beautiful and shiny. It's also quite hefty ( which I like). I especially like the added on details on the bottom of then razor stand which has the logo. Something that will be rarely seen, yet is made beautiful nonetheless.

Here are some pics to enjoy :)

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

First Shave:

I'm a fan of OC and aggressive razors (My go to razors are ATT H2, H1 and R41) so I started with the OC 95 plate. I used my other standard - a Feather blade.

For Lather, I broke my own testing rules and used something new (it's because I'm still going through the sample pass around box). I used The Holy Black soap, and I won't discuss the soap here, other than to say it was up to the job.

From an Aesthetic point of view, this razor is gorgeous. And it is quite heavy. I wasn't sure how I would feel about that, but I found it worked really well and allowed me to really control the pressure of the razor. Feel was great. I finished two passes and stopped there. I like to stop at 2 passes when I'm testing as I find this makes it easier for me to shave every day and still have a decent about of stubble. I also found that I can get a pretty good shave with about any decent razor with 3 passes, but with only 2, I notice a bigger difference. With this razor 2 passes was enough. If I owned this, I would likely do a 2 pass with light touch ups, and rarely go for a full 3 passes.

I would rate this as a fairly aggressive razor with this plate. Not quite as aggressive as the ATT H1 or H2, but closer to that than the R plates, in my opinion. But incredibly smooth.

Also - I used a steep angle with this razor and it worked great. I plan to try a shallow angle next, to see the difference, but if you are a steep angle fan, know that this razor will work for you there.

I'm thinking of switching to a different base plate for the next shave and coming back around to this plate later.

As far as the top cap goes - I chose the grooved one, but purely for aesthetics, as I don't see how this would change the shave, especially if using a steep angle.

Top Bottom