What's new

Deck/Boat Shoes

What are folks buying for deck/boat shoes as in the Sperry Topsider type? What I would really like is a pair of the classic Sperry Topsiders in the absolutely classic format, in the classic brown color, which Sperry may call mahogany, or as close to that as I can get. I see that Sperry has any number of versions of deck shoes, none of which seem to match the vintage version exactly. (It makes me think that Sperry does not really know what it is doing, or what its brand really is. Bass Weejun seems similarly clueless re heritage!) For awhile, apparently recently Sperry had a "Made in Maine" version that did seem to match up exactly to the classic version, albeit at $280, which I might even be willing to pay (gulp). (A perfect match up, which is not necessary, would be the classic brown, fairly soft leather, white soles attached directly to the shoe upper, rawhide colored leather laces (white leather laces might be okay, too), brown eyelets, two eyelets for laces in front. I frankly care more about looks than durability. These shoes seem cheap enough that durability is not so important.)

On a separate, related topic, does anyone have any recent experience with the Sebago Docksider? In particular, I have read that that shoe takes a whole lot of breaking in, with a lot of blisters getting to broken in, which seems very different from the Topsider experience.

I have three pairs of old Topsiders. Two brown and one blue pair. I have pretty much worn the brown ones out, something I did not think was even possible. (My wife would probably say I wore the blue ones out, too, a long time ago, but she does not really understand the concepts here, and to me the blue ones are still more than wearable, even if no on some level "presentable.") If I thought I could get what I have now again, that would surely be my choice! But from what I can tell, the Topsider brand has "evolved," and that choice no longer exists! Again, I would even settle for something that just looked like the "original" Topsider, but Sperry apparently deigns to make even that! [insert various old fogy grumblings!]

I just looked on the Nordstrom site and found 2 Topsiders that seem to meet your specs.
Thanks, Kactus. The Sperry "Authentic Original" Boat Shoe (Men) Item #S00655 on the Nordstrom web site seems spot on, except for the Sperry insignia on the side, which I can certainly live with. Now that I know exactly what to look for--Authentic Original "2-Eye" in "Classic Brown" it is on the Sperry website, too. I cannot tell you how many Sperry "Authentic Originals" versions I looked at that were off in one way or another. I guess the lesson is to look to regular Nordstrom (not Nordstrom Rack!) in the first instance. I did look on the Sperry site, but I guess not closely enough. Sorry for the rant. I am so pleased to be wrong. Much appreciated Kactus!

Interestingly, the get the same shoe in navy ("New Navy") "wrong" based on the classic model, although the navy version did come much later in time as I recall. Maybe getting it wrong is the reason the navy one is on sale for 2 for $119! (By the way, the blue ones are not authentic based on the classic model unless they turn your feet blue every time you wear them for the first year or so!)

I have a pair of the Sebago Docksiders and absolutely love them. I suppose they did have a break in period. Don't buy a new pair and take them do Disney. However, I DID take mine to Disney 2 years ago after they were decently broken in and had no problems.

I've been wearing them a lot since I got them about 2 years ago. If they begin to have any stink, I throw some shoe trees in them for a few days.

I don't have any experience with Sperrys, so I can't compare.

Thanks for the feedback on Sebago Docksiders. A break in period for the seems to be a given for them. Some folks seem to like under the theory that they stay new looking longer and last longer as a result. The contrary review, of course, is looking not new is part of the idea and (at least based on the older versions of the Topsider, I am so sure about the more recent iterations) just how many decades does a human being want a pair of shoes to last! To me, in the past, Topsider was the original (1935) and always seemed a bit more expensive than the Sebago version, and thus was cooler. Now, the Sebago seems to be the more expensive one and seems to have more strictly followed its original incarnation, so I am sure re cool. I just think the Sperry looks better.

Yea, it depends on what you are going for. I wanted a pair of boat shoes that could be worn with shorts, or jeans and look a little nicer. Thats why I went with the darker brown regular leather version vs the light brown rough leather of the classic Sperrys.

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but I've switched over to Crocs loafers. Better arch support than pretty much any other loafer option out there. Maybe not quite as stylish, but better comfort.

Classic Sperry Topsiders have pretty much zero arch support and zero padding or anything else between ones feet and whatever surface one is standing on, it is true. I think that has been part of the reason for Sperry's efforts to revise the original formulation. Admirable on some level, but not if it changes the look, and I am not going to be actually sailing all that much! I think I would have problems getting over the Crocs name--forgive me. I have been known to wear the originals, but not all that frequently! Thanks!

you could try LL Bean camp mocks; while they are different than sperry's in their own way they do have a more classic look to them and could even be mistaken as sperry's to the untrained eye

Have you tried the Sperry Gold Cup Authentic Originals? I find them very close to the old Topsiders with more arch support and padding. However the sole is not quite the same as the old ones. Close enough for me, since I really need the support and padding now, but maybe not for you. Worth a try-on maybe.

There was a time I was never without a pair of Sperry Topsiders. Can't really say why I gravitated away from them. Maybe it was when sneakers improved their fit and comfort. I may need to get a another pair.

Have you tried the Sperry Gold Cup Authentic Originals? I find them very close to the old Topsiders with more arch support and padding. However the sole is not quite the same as the old ones. Close enough for me, since I really need the support and padding now, but maybe not for you. Worth a try-on maybe.

For purposes of this thread, I was looking for the absolutely traditional look, which as it turns out was directly under my nose. (I bet Sperry finds no reason to advertise that version, much less discount it. And that is the version they went will in their recent but apparently short-lived made in Maine version.) I wonder if the vast number of their sales are not of that exact version.) Or, perhaps, others are not as tradition bound as I was feeling!) I might try out the Gold Cup version as a second purchase. If I was going to do any intense sailing it would probably not be in the original version. As I noted above, the originals certainly have no padding or support! Anyone whoever bought a pair of the original Topsiders or Weejuns, for that matter, looking for any padding or support at all, would have been severely disappointed!

I'm interested in a lugged sole deck shoe. I got a Bill's Kakhi's pair on sale
a couple of years ago but they don't carry them anymore. Any suggestions?

Timberlands for lounging nautical events, reasonably priced and very comfortable and functional on board. I use white boots fishing or water-sneakers when sailing on vessels within my budget where there is more water etc. on deck.

IMG_0332.JPG

Tom

(My wife would probably say I wore the blue ones out, too, a long time ago,]

+1, my wife determined my previous Timberlands were no longer acceptable after many happy seasons in the salt and chucked them with the promise to "replace" them. Years latter I received these. I think my wife and I have a difference in vision :)

Tom

Top Bottom