What's new

Scotch recommendations for a bourbon guy.

I'm a Bourbon kind of guy that is looking to get into Scotch. I had a dram of Glennfidich 15 year the other night on ice and it wasn't bad. Any recommendations for something not peaty or overly smokey and under $100?

Well, I personally prefer sherry barrel whiskies more than the smokey, peaty ones. They are a little sweeter. My favourites so far are:
Johnnie Walker Black Label (blended) - a tiny tad smokey, but still really nice
Johnnie Walker Green Label 15 year (blended)
The Macallan 12 year sherry
Aberlour 12 year
Balvenie Doublewood
The Macallan Cask Strength (10 year or No Age Statement) - sherry monsters
Aberlour A'bunadh - sherry monster
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Highland Park 10 year - a little bit smokey, but very pleasant - not medicinal
Highland Park 10 year - a little bit more smokey, but still pleasant

HTH

I definitely love my bourbon and gin but have decided to explore the world of single malts again.

I was given a bottle of highland park 12 for my birthday last weekend and couldn't believe how great it was. Spent a few evenings with a glass and some thoughts!!

Thank you for the advice. Picked up two bottles today Aberlour 12 and Wow!!!! Soooooo good. The other bottle is a Balvenie Double Wood. I'm sure it's wonderful too.

Thank you for the advice. Picked up two bottles today Aberlour 12 and Wow!!!! Soooooo good. The other bottle is a Balvenie Double Wood. I'm sure it's wonderful too.

Both of those are very good single malts. I would also suggest trying Old Pulteney and an interesting single malt blend, Monkey Shoulder.

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I found them easy on the palate, almost soothing - I could have more than one if I wanted. But the cask strength ones . . . they are a little more effort being so strong.

I just heard that Redbreast 12 year Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey is quite amazing.

I'm looking forward to some other recommendations also.

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I found them easy on the palate, almost soothing - I could have more than one if I wanted. But the cask strength ones . . . they are a little more effort being so strong.

I just heard that Redbreast 12 year Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey is quite amazing.

I'm looking forward to some other recommendations also.
I opened the Balvenie tonight too. It's not as sweet or orange/chocolate forward as the Aberlour if anything it's closer to Glenfidich 15.

I had a taste of the Redbreast 12 a couple of years ago and too me it was like drinking liquid butter. Maybe it was a bad bottle.

I opened the Balvenie tonight too. It's not as sweet or orange/chocolate forward as the Aberlour if anything it's closer to Glenfidich 15.

You'll love the Quinta Ruban as well then methinks. I keep a bottle of that one in.

I had a taste of the Redbreast 12 a couple of years ago and too me it was like drinking liquid butter. Maybe it was a bad bottle.

That is very interesting to hear. I think I'll bump it down the list then, since your description is less of what I am looking for in a whiskey. Thanks for the heads up. Next up when I finish the A'bunadh bottle is some Ardbeg to try something more smokey than Talisker.

Aberlour A'bunadh - sherry monster. Bosssies nailed it with this. I'm a peat head, but every time I have a dram of this I think that bourbon drinkers would love it.

I am more of a bourbon guy these days myself, but I started on Scotch. Talisker is probably my favorite for something reasonably priced, although Scotch, like Cognac, is expensive and to me they have down, for the most part, better is going to cost you more. Most 18 year old non-island Scotches are going to be pretty good to my mind, and I do not think it is simply age. I think they save the better barrels for longer aging. For instance, Glenlivet 12 yo, okay, not great. 18 year old, pretty good Scotch. I am not fond of wine barrel finishes, particularly Balvenie, buy many folks are. For some reason I do like Glenmorangie port finish. Glenmorangie in general seems unrated in the US for the top seller in Scotland. Craggenmore likewise unrated. Aberlour and Highland Park in the various expressions seem reliable. Macallan overpriced but quite good. Johnny Walker Black blend, a bargain. Johnny Walker Green, not as good as it should be for what it is supposedly made of, but interesting.

Irish whiskeys are a different category. I really like Red Breast, myself.

Really depends on your like or dislike of smoke & peat. Anything by Glenmorangie, Ballvenie & Macallan fits the category of non-peat, non-smoke. They are excellent whiskys.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Glenfarclas 15 is a great scotch, and very approachable for a bourbon fan!

Top Bottom