What's new

LED Flashlight

proxy.php

proxy.php

:lol:

My job makes a mall cop look like the secret service.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Thanks for the tip on the little AAA lights. Looking at Maratac and Olite. I'm surprised at how bright they can be. It'll be nice to have something I could carry in just about any situation (or just as a backup to my larger Fenix).

You're welcome James - I hadn't noticed the OLights before - looks like pretty close to the same size/specs as the Maratac at a quick glance. They are handy

Streamlight ProTac 2AAA fits that criteria.

I've EDC'd mine for almost 2 years and use it multiple times each day. Clips into my front pants pocket next to my knife and always at hand.

Light, but sturdy (robust aluminum construction) and powerful (80 lumens high, 10 lumens low) . About 5 3/4" long and 5/8" at it's widest. Under budget too - about $25 on Amazon.

View attachment 712604

The finish is showing some wear and tear, but the flashlight has proven to be a trustworthy accoutrement.

It worked well on its inaugural run, but I found the cycling from high to low with the strobe in between a bit hard to master. I got better as the night progressed. Do you have any tips?

It is a real winner for my needs and I thank you again for the recommendation.

Last edited:
It worked well on its inaugural run, but I found the cycling from high to low with the strobe in between a bit hard to master. I got better as the night progressed. Do you have any tips?

It is a real winner for my needs and I thank you again for the recommendation.

Try 3 quick soft presses of the button. Without releasing third press, push hard to on. That'll get you from off to low without clicking through the modes.
I think I actually use the soft press actuation most often with mine. Like a pressure switch for a gun light.
Hope that helps some.

Try 3 quick soft presses of the button. Without releasing third press, push hard to on. That'll get you from off to low without clicking through the modes.
I think I actually use the soft press actuation most often with mine. Like a pressure switch for a gun light.
Hope that helps some.

That sure does help. You have to press lightly and quickly which has a bit of a learning curve, but it is quite doable.

Thanks.

PS It seems to be built quite well and is very easy to carry either clipped in a shirt pocket, attached to the belt via the enclosed holder/sheath, or clipped to a cargo pant pocket as I prefer.

Last edited:
I know I'm late to this party, but glad Tony has found what he needs.

It turns out that I have that Streamlight also. A good light, but I find the button a bit hard to operate, and fussy about getting into the mode you want. (Prolly both the same issue.) I use it, it's fine.

Just wanted to mention, for those on a budget, the Coast HP1:

$Coast HP1 - reduced.jpg

This is bigger in diameter than the Streamlight but considerably shorter. Push-pull focusing lens. 190 lumens. Takes one AA battery. Available at Amazon for $8.29. Truth to tell, I like this better than the Streamlight. (To me the chief advantage of the Streamlight is that it is about the same size/diameter as a regular pen.)

They're so darn cheap I have them all over the house, in the car, etc. All have been perfectly reliable. The bigger button seems to be better for fumble-fingered me. :lol:

Last edited:
Glad to hear that Streamlight is working well for you @August West. :) Felt pretty confident in the recommendation, so good to know you are having a satisfactory experience with it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I know I'm late to this party, but glad Tony has found what he needs.

It turns out that I have that Streamlight also. A good light, but I find the button a bit hard to operate, and fussy about getting into the mode you want. (Prolly both the same issue.) I use it, it's fine.

Just wanted to mention, for those on a budget, the Coast HP1:

View attachment 720551

This is bigger in diameter than the Streamlight but considerably shorter. Push-pull focusing lens. 190 lumens. Takes one AA battery. Available at Amazon for $8.29. Truth to tell, I like this better than the Streamlight. (To me the chief advantage of the Streamlight is that it is about the same size/diameter as a regular pen.)

They're so darn cheap I have them all over the house, in the car, etc. All have been perfectly reliable. The bigger button seems to be better for fumble-fingered me. :lol:

Had thrown a couple of these Coast HP1s in the cart; they were add on items and had to wait for an actual order. Anyways. They came today and are impressive, focusing one-cell and the take 14500 battery too!

I have several high end lights, 18650 mostly. The build quality on these is impressive for the price. No complicated modes, but perfect for BOBs and kits.

AA

Late to the party, but I love my Fenix E12 so much as an EDC that when someone bogarted mine, I bought 2 replacements "just in case". Ridiculous long life, tons of light out of an AA, and so small I sometimes forget it's in a breast pocket. Mine has been dropped more times than I can count, onto concrete mostly, and never had an issue, and lasts months on each lithium AA. I like it more than my megapowered PD35, it's easier, more functional day to day, and the brightness is more within the realm of what I need it for.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A single AA light is great for using up single "partly burned" alkalines. Hate it when you have one new and one used alkaline in a two-AA light.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My EDC Fenix E 12 is usually feed with partially depleted AA batteries and still lasts quite a while with adequate illumination.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I can't praise my E12 enough. Ran through the washer once. Water resistant but not totally water proof. Dried it out, changed the battery, good to go! So small and compact, carry all the time, no matter how I'm dressed.

Top Bottom