What's new

Bulldog Handle Alternatives

Recently I have really liked shaving with my early 50's Gillette Tech. However I am getting a major jones for a short handle. I love the maneuverability of the 34C and want that same feel for the Tech. Also think a shorter handle will rekindle interest in my EJ DE89.

Looking at the iKon Bulldog but it appears there aren't any to be had, everywhere is sold out.

I suppose I should pursue an alternative of similar size but don't know what those would be and if they'd come as highly regarded. I'm also chea... uh, frugal, so looking to limit my financial exposure as much as I can as I'm also scheming to buy a badger brush soon. Help! Any suggestions?

Advice from another "frugal" person - Start off looking at Maggards. They have a great line of stainless steel handles all going for $15-20. Also look at the listings on Amazon. Search for safety razors under $15 and you will find a bunch. Most of those are chromed brass handles though, which may be better for the Tech heads which are also brass.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Weber. Bull. Dog.

I think Razorock and Maggards has a cheaper alternative.

I have the Maggard's version - MR11 and it's decent. Looks like they are out of stock also.
Amazon has some of the Weber bulldog's but they are kinda pricey at $40 shipped.

Pic of the Maggard MR11

IMG_0064.JPG

Wooden dowels come in an abundance of diameters and lengths. It doesn't get any more frugal than that. And they're light allowing all of the weight to be on the head.

Recently I have really liked shaving with my early 50's Gillette Tech. However I am getting a major jones for a short handle. I love the maneuverability of the 34C and want that same feel for the Tech. Also think a shorter handle will rekindle interest in my EJ DE89.

Looking at the iKon Bulldog but it appears there aren't any to be had, everywhere is sold out.

I suppose I should pursue an alternative of similar size but don't know what those would be and if they'd come as highly regarded. I'm also chea... uh, frugal, so looking to limit my financial exposure as much as I can as I'm also scheming to buy a badger brush soon. Help! Any suggestions?

What length are you looking for? The handle on your EJ DE89 is longer than the Tech handle.

I have this poorly plated brass handle that came with a head that has alignment issues. Utopia is the name, it cost about $10 shipped from Amazon, I bought it for the handle. It was too long, so I cut it down with a dremel. It is as long as my fat Tech handle now and weighs 62 grams.

tmp_32279-20170217_170734-1750221208.jpg

It looked like this...

tmp_32279-Screenshot_2017-02-17-18-59-23-1461334326.png

The MR11 is quickly becoming my favorite handle. I also like travel handles every once in a while. I've got the iKon Tuckaway but would guess that the Maggard MRT would work as wel.

I use the weber bulldog on most of my razors. I got it when I bought a weber PH, but I've found that I prefer using it on my other razors as well. It's just sized and weighted perfect for me.

I was looking for a heavier handle to replace the Durham DuBarry handle I'd paired with a Stahly Live Blade head and found this one from Techichi:

IMG_20170222_142454.jpg

IMG_20170222_142622.jpg

It came with the leather travel sleeve and weighs 108g - not bad for 17 bucks...

Attachments

• IMG_20170222_142622.jpg
    IMG_20170222_142622.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 12
I have an Ikon bulldog handle and a Maggard handle. Both came from Brad Maggard's shop. The Ikon is nicer. The Maggard is cheap.

The Ikon is paired with a Jagger head. Love it. Maggard is my travel kit.

The Weber Bulldog is the ultimate, IMO. As much as I love Muhle, Im thinking about swapping out the standard R89 handle for my Weber Bulldog handle because the weight of it is so nice.

Top Bottom