What's new

Duke 3 Break In?

I just received my new Duke 3 in Best Badger. This morning was the first shave, and while there are many things I love about this brush, the bristles were pricklier than I expected. Years ago, a Duke 2 was my only brush - I used it daily for about 7 years, by which point the bristles had worn down too much for it to be very good anymore. I don't remember that brush being as prickly as this one. My question is: will it soften up as it breaks in? Those of you who have recently purchased a Duke 3, what has been your experience?

Unfortunately Simpsons Best isn't famed for consistency, and IIRC the official position is that there is bound to be variation since it's made from natural animal products. Understandable, but the fact that you can get anything from a pincushion to something almost as good as their Super makes me shy away from their Best in general.

There are no standards for badger grade. For me, Simpsons best has worked out well-I have two brushes that are indistinguishable (to me) from super. However, you can get one that is closer to pure which is definitely not my taste.

My Berkeley changed after a couple of months or so. It splayed more easily. If you use the brush exclusively, it might loosen and feel differently sooner.

Hopefully it becomes more to your liking. I bought my D3 lightly used and have loved it since I got it, very nice knot and not a shedder.

I bought a Duke 3 several moths ago. It was good at first, a bit prickly, but I was getting good shaves, so no bother. Then it began to shed, and after a while, I sent it back to be replaced with another. This one however was immediately softer on my face, and after 3 or 4 months has only shed one hair.
Enough of my story, I'm sure yours will break in.

I just received a used Duke 3 in Best. It is very soft, almost as soft as my Duke 3 in Manchurian but a little less dense.

If you're keeping it then just palm lather it a bunch and it will inevitably soften up some. Most of my brushes took a little time to settle in.

I just received my new Duke 3 in Best Badger. This morning was the first shave, and while there are many things I love about this brush, the bristles were pricklier than I expected. Years ago, a Duke 2 was my only brush - I used it daily for about 7 years, by which point the bristles had worn down too much for it to be very good anymore. I don't remember that brush being as prickly as this one. My question is: will it soften up as it breaks in? Those of you who have recently purchased a Duke 3, what has been your experience?
Four shaves in and I'm happy to say that it is noticeably softer already. I lost 2 or 3 hairs on the first couple of shaves, but they were both short, broken hairs so I don't think it will be a shedder. That's the only (slight) worry I have as I bought it new from a member here. If it's a shedder I'll just have to live with it.

All in all, I'm starting to think that this could be the replacement for my old Duke 2.

Funny, I have a new Duke 3 in Best Badger and right out of the box, I can't imagine a better brush? A lathering monster and a very luxurious feel. Shed one hair so far. I like synthetics, I like boars, but this Best Badger brush I like a heck of a lot better!!! I wonder about Simpson quality controls? I think they must be pretty good or Simpsonwouldn't be the brush to measure all other brushes against? That's my opinion and I am unanimous in that! I can lather a paint brush, maybe even a finger nail brush, but I really don't think I'd enjoy doing that?? The great enjoyment about shaving and shaving brushes is finding what really works for you! And, with a Simpson brush I think it is a fairly easy task???

My duke 3 took a couple weeks to soften up a little. Still retains some scritch. Makes great lather, but not as soft as I like.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Give a vinegar rinse a try, just a bit of vinegar in your palm then rub it into a wet brush for say 60 seconds and rinse well.

Cheers, Steve

I agree with Skeezixx and oldjoe, my Duke 3 was great out of the box. All my Simpsons have been (and I have several) have performed great. My 57 best knot seems very similar to the knot in my Duke 3, but not quite as soft out of the box, but certainly nothing to complain about. If I didn't have (8) Simpsons best brushes, I would not have thought twice about it, however comparing it to the Duke 3, Chubby 1 and others with a similar knot I could detect a little difference. I have probably been lucky, because other than some cosmetic things that are perfect, To complain about attention to detail in the name engraving seems silly in the extreme. I really like Simpsons brushes and really don't think I care abouttrying a competing brand, they are that good!

Another Simpson tale? Before I bought the Duke 3 best badger I bought a used Classic 2 best badger on the Bay that was used. When it arrived it looked great but I could see that the knot though dense was slightly lop-sided. I started using it and the firm packed knot so exceeded the rest of the many brushes that I have bought and put together myself that I knew I wanted to see what a new Simpson brush would be like. And, I did and the Duke 3 new is the same quality brush and hair knot as in the smaller Classic 2 brush, only twice as big. A couple of days ago I had both brushes in hangers on the sink, side by side, and I mistakenly used the classic 2 brush when I figured I would be using the Duke 3. I didn't realize I did that until after I was completely done and putting the Classic 2 back in the hanger along side of the Near new now - Duke 3 brush. Same great lather even though one brush is 1/2 the size of the other! That made me aware that the 2 - Simpson brushes of different sizes but the same best badger hair, were equally good. They were just different sizes. And size is all a matter of like and preference. The knots are the best in any shaving brushe I have in my opinion. I consider myself a good brush restorer or assembler, which if you don't manufacture the knots yourself is what you really are? And, I have re-knotted probably 25 shaving brushes with all types of Knots and hair and qualities for myself and plenty more for others. The Simpson knots in best badger are just that much denser and with greater backbone and soft tips then I have been able to find and buy. I think I'm done brush searching and hair trying. I really wish I could buy a Simpson best badger knot and put it in a Pristine old Rubberset 400 Aluminum handle myself? That would definitely--- be it for me! I hope this story is in the right thread. IF not, an administrator can move it or delete it. No harm done!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A good Simpsons Best is a fine brush. I'm not sure I don't prefer it over the other grades of hair. The Duke and Classic series are denser than many other models. If you like those a 50 series might be a good choice. I like the Duke 3 over the Duke 2 because the handle is about 1/4" longer on the 3.

One problem with Simpsons Best grade is that there is a large range of hair qualities. I have a dark Best brush with a little scritch all the way up to a wonderfully dense 58 with almost snow white tips. Usually though they're just a nice 3-band hair.

Cheers, Steve

I have the Duke 1 in Best as well as the Chubby 1 in best and I had a 55 in Best that was passed along to my brother. The Duke 1 is very soft for me, perhaps softer than the Chubby or at least on par. For some strange reason the 55 is significantly stiffer than the other two but the inconsistency is no surprise.

In generally brushes will break in as the tips are used a bit and you shed some hair. The quality/characteristics will change over time as you use the brush. In my experience all of the brushes have owned have changed a bit (generally for the better) as I use them.

Regards
Dave

Top Bottom