What's new

I Lost my Marbles Part II; my second shave

In a different posting I wrote about my experience with my first straight razor shave which was also my first kamisori shave, and my first experience with a straight razor of any kind. Lots of very helpful feedback, comments and suggestions encouraged me to stick with it. I some of comments and suggestions made were spot on. I decided to bite the bullet and did a few things based on the advice:

- I bought a traditional strop in addition to the strop paddle (i got it from Portland Razor Co) I assume that based on their reputation is should be fairly acceptable for a rookie.
- I bought a Japanese NOS western style handmade razor from JNS

Back to the main point of my thanks. A few days ago I prepared myself for a second try at shaving, however I did it in a much more controlled and informed approach.
First menta preparation, I dressed up in my full martial arts gear and went down to the dojo repeating over and over again: "you can do this, you can do this". I grabbed one of my trusted bokken and did 1000 cuts. I felt ready. back up to a hot shower. Ok, I can do this, fear is my enemy, face my fear... then during the shower, the academic in me took over and I did something that most of you probably would not do: I worked on both the straight razor and the kamisori in the same shave so I could compare. Here is the report.

- I spent some time working in concentrated effort however light touch and pressure on the strop. I did about 50 laps of the canvas side and about a 100 on the leather side of the paddle with the kamisori, and the same with the regular strop with the straight razor. The regular strop seems more suited for the longer razor, while the kamisori works better on the paddle.
- I spent more time warming the face and hydrating the brush, however, As suggested, I worked on a thin denser layer of soap on the face as opposed to a thicker foamy layer as I did the time before.
- Next, and on this advice received was absolutely spot on, with both I worked on a very small angle, almost flat against the skin, and as described, magic happened, removing the soap brought the hair along with it.
- I did a few short strokes with each instead of long strokes and that allowed me better sensitivity to the response. I discovered that, just as predicted, if distracted for a moment I would revert to more pressure and force, as I am used to the DE Safety razor, and also, if distracted or encouraged to go a bit faster, the angle would elevate and start scraping, but this time I was aware of it and immediately corrected it, going back to a shallower angle having better sensitivity to the feedback from the skin and hair.
- I used the kamisori only with my right (dominant) hand, and I used both hands for the SR (i figured I might as well start training correctly with both hands, and that was a good choice as the left was very light and without the DE habits of my right hand)
- from your advice, LOTS of patience and stretching the skin as much as possible helped enormously.
- This time I finished the entire shave with a couple of passes, going back and forth between the two blades, and NO skin born, cuts or blood except for a couple of tiny nicks. Incredible smooth shave on the sides and fairly good one in the neck.

Some additional thoughts;
1) The straight razor is, also as predicted, easier to use, however, the kamisori gives much more control and precision.
2) technique is vastly different for each type, except the common theme: shallow angle, just a bit higher than the angle of the blade in the SR, and the same angle as the bevel of the omote side of the kamisori.
3) I do not believe I will need a hone for a few weeks at least, since both razors were actually honed and shave ready and I am planning to add a healthy set of strop laps everytime. On my first experience I thought that the kamisori might not have been honed and that I chipped the toe inadvertently, however my technique and method were completely off and once I followed comments, shaving with it was a transformational experience. Also, from research I found that the blade was not chipped, but rather, the corner was muted as it seems to be the case with all Iwasakis.
4) the next step is subjective. The shave left the face very smooth, and somehow, it felt different the feeling after a shave with a DE. It also took a long time but the level of concentration necessary wiped out anything from my mind for most of the tie, and that in itself was relaxing, so now there is no turning back and it seems that I am getting into a rabbit hole with generous and very helpful guidance. Your comments alone made me go from almost quitting to an extraordinarily enjoyable experiment and precursor of others. I am now looking forward to the next. Thank you.

Straight Razor: Japanese Straight Razor NOS Handmade Black Teuti edge is 65 mm and width is 21 mm
proxy.php

Iwasaki Kamisori 50 mm
proxy.php

Fantastic!! You will develope your technique and your shave will just keep getting better. Its amost a zen moment when it all comes together and your face is shaved so smooth you yourself cannot stop touching it.

Once mastered, in my opinion, nothing shave related compares to shaving with a straight.

My only suggestion now would be select one of your razors and master using it instead of both....once you are happy with that one switch to the other as you will master it faster.

Wow - looks like part 2 ended up being really good! Looking forward to your progress. The rabbit hole is deep and you jumped right in. Right on!

How about this ! As if on cue.
Not only a Newbie , your second shave, a Kami , AND a western style straight, but within the one shave you transferred back and forth not skipping a beat.
Kudos to you !
Reading your assessment leads me to believe that regardless if you do or don't stick with just one razor ( I never bothered either from day one) you'll do just fine. Your observations , comments and conclusions tells me you're aware of many things going on at the same time but you're able to distill them to their essence. Just love it!
Continue Grasshopper!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you mycarver. By now I have had three more, one with pure western and two only with kamisori. So far I gravitating towards kamisori, although I think it is in part for fear of using my non-dominant hand... Thank you so much for the comment and support

Oh my pleasure. I really enjoyed your post.
With how you're going about this you'll gradually start using the your non dominant hand I'm sure. You seem to have an analytical way that will lead you to answers.
And if not ? No biggie. Many shave using just the dominant hand.
Just keep on the path. You're doing fine.

I have been dodging this thread for a couple days. I would love to try a Kamisori and as I imagined this has peaked my interest. Congrats on the shaves! It seems like a lot of people will tell you at the beginning to learn with both hands. That makes sense to me and is what I would typically suggest if someone is comfortable with both. While learning a technique with one hand, why not try out the other. At the same time, you will see threads all the time with just as many people saying that they use only one hand. Sometimes out of comfort, sometimes medical reasons, etc. There is no wrong way to do it. Good shaves are the goal, how you get there does not really matter. From the sounds of your write ups I think you are doing great.

Thank you for the comment dmatcuk. If you wanted to try a kamisori without breaking the bank but still get a really good one, shave ready from a trusted source I would suggest get one from Shinichi Watanabe (Japan). He is one of the best well known and respected bladesmith in Japan. He does not do kamisori, however he has a few from very old stock that he has restored, reshaped with his design, and honed perfectly. Of course, I do not have experience in this world of wet-straight razor-kamisori shaving, nor is there any reason to take my advice, however a I do have a bit of experience with japanese knives, and I have bought more than few things from him, including one of those kamisori (which I find beautiful and already shaved with it for a great experience), and I have always been very happy with his trustworthiness, communications, quality of work, value, and response and can endorse him without hesitations or reservations whatsoever. Here is his link Japanese razor | Wa kamisori handmade from some makers
The other source I trust at that level is Takeshi Aoki at Aframestokyo. Good luck. If you are that curious I am sure you will enjoy using the kamisori

Thanks for the suggestion @Casaluz. A Kamisori has been on my wish list for a while, along with maybe 2 or 3 razors and a Kanayama Strop haha. One of these days I will actually get one. Reading posts like yours make me want to bump the Kamisori to the front of the line.

Top Bottom