What's new

Tobs sandalwood cream

Yesterday i walked to the barber and picked up a packet of feathers since i liked them last time and a tub of tobs sandalwood...it has a strange smell to it um...its very nice..but different to other sandalwoods im used to...does it lather ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday i walked to the barber and picked up a packet of feathers since i liked them last time and a tub of tobs sandalwood...it has a strange smell to it um...its very nice..but different to other sandalwoods im used to...does it lather ok?
In my experience, it lathers as well as any soap I've used. While I'm not a soap aficionado, I have tried quite a few soaps and creams. I'm guessing you'll find it lathers like a champion. As to the smell, it took me a few times using it to become accustomed to the scent. It's now one of my favorites. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Earlier today i gave it a try and my thoughts are... to my nose smells like a old school masculine scent..it smelt even better when lathered...little makes a huge amount it likes a few drips of water...really thick cream with peaks galore...this amazed me ...a very very nice shaving cream tobs makes great stuff

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yes Sir, it lathers up beautifully and performs great - as expected from Taylors. Other great Sandalwood creams are Simpsons Luxury and Proraso Red.

I have TOBS Sandalwood and Cedarwood. Both lather easily and perform well. The Sandalwood scent is different than other Sandalwood scents I have tried, but good. One person here has described it as more of a perfume scent.

Sent via mobile - Chris

It lather wonderfully. I'm now using the Sandalwood hard puck. It likes water, and once you get the ratio worked out, it makes tons of great lather as well.

The smell, while similar, is much more muted than the croap.

Proraso ive tried great cheap italian soap that lathers with the best and the scent is just amazing deep and woodsy also the proraso sandalwood shaving foam is pretty damn good to as far as a foam goes smells exactly the same as the tub (for mornings where you have no time for that perfect shave)..simpsons is on my list to try i will try them soon

I have some, and I agree that lather is awesome but the smell isn't my favorite. I think AoS sandalwood is much better. However, I know one guy who described TOBS sandalwood as smelling like WD40. As always, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonderful performer but the fragrance is not like sandalwood at all. Strangely enough, the soap that smells most like real sandalwood is the Proraso red soap in the tub.

I also was initially surprised (perhaps even put off) by the scent. My first thought was "how is this even sandalwood?". I had already tried the AoS sandalwood beforehand, which has a much earthier woodsier scent. The TOBS is more like a perfume-like smell. Definitely not what I was expecting.

Regardless, a few shaves later, I quickly found it to be a very intoxicating smell and it's now one of my favourites. Come to think of it, I haven't used it in weeks and I miss it! Been concentrating on soaps lately... time to take out my tub of TOBS Sandalwood soon!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Earlier today i gave it a try and my thoughts are... to my nose smells like a old school masculine scent..it smelt even better when lathered...little makes a huge amount it likes a few drips of water...really thick cream with peaks galore...this amazed me ...a very very nice shaving cream tobs makes great stuff

You are correct.

TOBS sandalwood was my first wetshaving product, although I got the soap instead of the cream. (On the whole, I think TOBS creams are better than their soaps). The scent immediately made me think of "retired English colonel".

Great scent.

The first soap I ever got was TOBS Sandalwood cream. It may be the best smelling thing ever invented. Performance is very good too.

I got it a few years back, and found it to be more perfumy then Proraso's take on it. Now after returning to the Proraso Red over the past month, I stand by that. However that's not to say that TOBS is a bad performer by any means...

While I really like the TOBS, GFT & T&H Sandalwoods (in that order of preference) - I think DR Harris is a better performing and more traditional sandalwood scented cream.

I love its scent. It lathers nicely for me once I got the hang of it, but I found it more finicky to lather than most soaps I use. The key for me is to fill the tub with hot water, let it soak for a couple of minutes, and then put the brush to it. Done that way, it lathers as nicely as any other soap I use. However, if I try to hit a dry puck with a wet brush, I get something very thin that dries quickly and offers little cushion or glide. I have wondered if that is a function of my water quality.

I love its scent. It lathers nicely for me once I got the hang of it, but I found it more finicky to lather than most soaps I use. The key for me is to fill the tub with hot water, let it soak for a couple of minutes, and then put the brush to it. Done that way, it lathers as nicely as any other soap I use. However, if I try to hit a dry puck with a wet brush, I get something very thin that dries quickly and offers little cushion or glide. I have wondered if that is a function of my water quality.
Randall, I think your suspicion is correct: it's the quality of your water. I have soft water where I live and I've never had to soak the TOBS Sandalwood soap. It lathers beautifully from a dry puck and wet brush.

For the record, I have both the soap and cream, and while their scents are quite similar, they are definetly not identical. Personally, I prefer the scent of the cream.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I like TOBS Sandalwood also. Today I ordered TOBS Lemon Lime which I also like (I like Cedarwood as well but the scent isn't as strong as Sandalwood so I have a hard time justifying purchasing that one).

I found a new way to shave (pun intended) a few dollars off of the price. I ordered on Ebay and the lowest free shipping price was $14. I found a place offering $14 plus $2 shipping but it also had the or "Best Offer" button so I offered $10. It was accepted so I'm paying $12 including shipping.

That's the lowest price I've been able to find for this product anywhere. So...look for the "Best Offer" button! :)

TOBS Sandalwood to me is more of a barbershop scent than actual Sandalwood. It took 2 years of searching but my Sandalwood perfection combo is Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh coupled with Geo Trumper Sandalwood cologne. My personal favorite TOBS product is the Eton College soap and cologne. Their soaps don't require much effort to get a lather.

Top Bottom