What's new

McVeyMac Straight Journal

Walt all this talk about BRW's.... I need pics so I can live vicariously thru u since getting a new one isn't in the cards right now.

You guys are bold, There is an entire Cup of Soap here, you are truly adventurers, Looked at this morning will go out by the end of the week

Anyway it's sliced, it's gonna be a blast! (see what I did there? :lol:) I would like to propose that if this feat stretches into Easter we get that Sunday off. In 'Willy 2' I had to go to SE's and DE's for safety's sake. I will try to use straights more if we are able to stabilize the potion. Perhaps a dedicated thread to the Blasted Blue Challenge is in order. Shenanigans encouraged.

Excellent suggestions all the way around Rich. I too will need a normal shave on Easter Sunday. I also was thinking of going the DE/SE route if things got bad, but I will have to wait and see what this "Elixir of Immortality" has to offer.

Walt all this talk about BRW's.... I need pics so I can live vicariously thru u since getting a new one isn't in the cards right now.

I know Tom, some days it is all I can do to get the shave in, whether alone the post. I need to take a weekend and get some pictures.

You guys are bold, There is an entire Cup of Soap here, you are truly adventurers, Looked at this morning will go out by the end of the week

1.75 oz. of soap turns into a cup? This truly is the Elixir of Immortality.:jump:

I second the idea that at least some part of the challenge/competition include the number of lathering sessions needed until a top quality lather is achieved. ...or the longest consecutive run of top quality lathers.
Additional points for photos of BBW lather snow men and blobs of lather with a quarter resting on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do intend to cheat by not using tap water when whipping lather which is definitely on the hard side here. So these type of challenges might be in reach. What I find confusing is why Chris H finds problems with soaps using his relatively soft water, but they perform well in parts of the country where water is harder. The definition of hard water is that it is harder to make suds due to the calcium ion concentration. Water softeners are ion exchange columns where 1 Ca ion is absorbed from the water, and two Na ions are released into the water. When I shower in soft water, it seems that I can't rinse the soap away, and the skin remains very slippery. The way my mind works is hard water equals bad and soft water equals good with respect to soap effectiveness. But I don't know how any of it effects lather quality.

I will probably treat BBW the same as my concoction to start with, then adjust the water according to how much it needs. Spicy Willy required surprisingly little water.

I will probably treat BBW the same as my concoction to start with, then adjust the water according to how much it needs. Spicy Willy required surprisingly little water.

I tend to want to add water to all of my lathers to make them nice and slick, put I noticed this did not work out so well for me with the Willy. I still do not have the soap figured out, and who knows how the BBW will react? I just know that I am going to shave with it until it is gone, and my plan is to beat Alchemist Dave's shave count by a fair margin.

What are your thoughts on how I should run this PIF Rich?

Straight shave #586

Today I got the red scaled, square tip, with a barber's notch, 6/8" BRW out for the first spin after re-setting the bevel some weeks (month or more) ago. Did a healthy 40/80+ stropping on Canvas/Leather with the Tomonagura strops hanging at the ready. The soap for the day is one of my favorites,Piacenza the Stirling Piacenza. using the Stirling 26mm BB knot. I added water until lather was dripping from everywhere, and commenced another 3 pass shave with a water cleanup. This AM the shave was almost a duplicate of yesterday, and I will have to give it a solid BBS to BBS+. Not quite as close to grail worthiness though. There was not a lot of whisker at 05:30 this morning when I shaved due to the fabulous result from yesterday.

Tom, I will see if I can get some pictures up over the weekend so that you know which razors I am discussing. Anything to fuel your wedding cramped RAD.

Straight shave #586

Today I got the red scaled, square tip, with a barber's notch, 6/8" BRW out for the first spin after re-setting the bevel some weeks (month or more) ago. Did a healthy 40/80+ stropping on Canvas/Leather with the Tomonagura strops hanging at the ready. The soap for the day is one of my favorites,Piacenza the Stirling Piacenza. using the Stirling 26mm BB knot. I added water until lather was dripping from everywhere, and commenced another 3 pass shave with a water cleanup. This AM the shave was almost a duplicate of yesterday, and I will have to give it a solid BBS to BBS+. Not quite as close to grail worthiness though. There was not a lot of whisker at 05:30 this morning when I shaved due to the fabulous result from yesterday.

Tom, I will see if I can get some pictures up over the weekend so that you know which razors I am discussing. Anything to fuel your wedding cramped RAD.

HAHAHA just wait until next week where I'll show you that my AD is still alive and kicking. Just at a slower pace. :p

I tend to want to add water to all of my lathers to make them nice and slick, put I noticed this did not work out so well for me with the Willy. I still do not have the soap figured out, and who knows how the BBW will react? I just know that I am going to shave with it until it is gone, and my plan is to beat Alchemist Dave's shave count by a fair margin.

What are your thoughts on how I should run this PIF Rich?
You might try an over/under kind of thing, or the difference between our 3017 counts. Really three good opportunities here. Your count, my count, who was first, or who lasted longer. Or go on carnage counts! :thumbup:

Nice Stuff Walt, Update on the Lab Antics, Sopa is just about done, It may be a bit more croap like thatn I would have liked, but the test lathers are tonight and then off to you

You might try an over/under kind of thing, or the difference between our 3017 counts. Really three good opportunities here. Your count, my count, who was first, or who lasted longer. Or go on carnage counts! :thumbup:

What is most important here is that we both beat the 15 shaves that Dave logged; however that should not be part of the PIF. Chris L. suggested some sort of quality lather metric as a basis for the PIF. So I think the options are:

BBW 3017 (the "Elixir") Ground Rules:

• Each day Walt and Rich will shave with the razor of their choice using unadulterated BBW soap from Alchemist Dave.
  • The final shave of the "Elixir" (Consumed) can be supplemented with cream in order to achieve a suitable shave with the "Elixir."
  • The winner of the 3017 Challenge will be the person who has the most number of consecutive shaves with the "Elixir."
  • In the event of a tie, the person with the most number of straight shave using the "Elixir" will be declared the winner.
PIF (1 new puck of Williams, 1 new stick of Arko and test drive ATT version 1 SE2 razor) ground rules can be one of the following:
  1. Date that a Sustained Quality Lather is Achieved
  2. Date First Person Bails or Finishes Soap (Either will pay)
  3. Date Last Person Bails or Finishes Soap (Either will pay)
With any of the above PIFs scenarios, I would suggest running it much like Alchemist Dave ran this one, each member is allowed to pick 3 dates, the closest date without going over wins the PIF. I'm open to other ideas as well.

Nice Stuff Walt, Update on the Lab Antics, Sopa is just about done, It may be a bit more croap like thatn I would have liked, but the test lathers are tonight and then off to you

Oh the excitement (or should I say oh the humanity?). Are you going to weigh them to ensure that Rich and I have a fair shake (not sure what in process QC procedures you have implemented; not required if your lab is ISO Accredited)?:biggrin1: You might want to consider MSDS sheets on the "Elixir" as well:yikes:.

Seriously, this is probably going to be as much fun as it is frustrating.

LOL Walt, seeing that Sharon is A Quality Control Engineer and when we were both Firefighter she was in charge of the Stations MSDS sheets and is currently ISO 9001 and 14001 she will make sure of that LOL

Oh Dear! What have we begun?! Pretty sure We will beat 15. Consecutives shouldn't be a problem. Certainly try to do as many straights as is safely possible. So the gang is picking up to 3 dates from March-April (giving ourselves one day off for Easter so that is a black-out day) If we are able to stretch the potion for that long.
Are they trying to get which of us goes longer? This is the complicated part. I figure we will finish about the same time, are we looking for a double guess? Like Winner = Walt- 25 March and whoever nails that wins the PIF That will double the slots available. Maybe interesting. Bwahahahaha!

I am with the other comments regarding the BRW razors. I plan on buying a nice razor this year, and a BRW razor was on the short list. At this point, I am 99% sure that will be the razor I buy. Just a couple months to save up, and an order will go in!

Oh Dear! What have we begun?! Pretty sure We will beat 15. Consecutives shouldn't be a problem. Certainly try to do as many straights as is safely possible. So the gang is picking up to 3 dates from March-April (giving ourselves one day off for Easter so that is a black-out day) If we are able to stretch the potion for that long.
Are they trying to get which of us goes longer? This is the complicated part. I figure we will finish about the same time, are we looking for a double guess? Like Winner = Walt- 25 March and whoever nails that wins the PIF That will double the slots available. Maybe interesting. Bwahahahaha!

One thing to keep in mind Rich, the winner of the challenge could be different than what determines the winner of the PIF. If I run out of soap 2 days before you do, you win the challenge. But if the PIF is the date of the first bail or the first run out of soap, the PIF winner will be the one who picked the date closest to when I ran out of soap. The winner of the challenge gets bragging rights only. The winner of the PIF gets two remarkably cheap soaps, and the opportunity to try a really great razor. Conversely, if the PIF is based on the date longest person stayed in the game, then your completion date would determine the PIF winner.

Top Bottom