What's new

Soap Cellar, Hawaii

I was in Hawaii about a month ago and stopped into a cute little shop in Haleiwa, on the north coast of Oahu. Among the things sold in this shop are hand-made soaps, including all-natural shaving soaps. All of their soaps are brightly multi-colored and have out-of-the-ordinary scents. I bought one called the Yummy-York Bar. Let's just say that the price was almost ridiculously low.
This week, that soap finally came up in my rotation, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Although it is a hard soap and not an especially prolific lather producer, the lather it does produce does not disappear (a la Caswell-Massey). What is lacks in lather, it makes up for in soft, luxurious lubrication. Using a Mühle R89 and a PolSilver blade, I got a fantastic shave. (The second shave with a Kai blade was equally good).
I don't know whether this company ships their product at all. I would guess that it is a very small-scale operation. But the next time you find yourself in Haleiwa :), made sure you stock up at The Soap Cellar.

Thanks for the tip, MichaelB. I've walked past their shop many times, but I never thought to stop in and look for shaving soap.

Thanks, Bouki. I wouldn't have walked in myself, except that it's the kind of cute little shop that my wife loves (she bought a dress there). I was on auto-pilot, so I was surprised to find shaving soap. Now I'm surprised again that it's such a good soap. I am looking forward to your review.

Top Bottom