What's new

*** WINNER***Grudge Match: OT Vs NEW

Who's going to win the Grudge Match?

• The Old Type

• The NEW

Results are only viewable after voting.
My last round will be coming this week. Life has got me running full speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
That is why I wanted to run for a month. This gives people time.

Also anyone else can jump in there is plenty of time.

My last round will be coming this week. Life has got me running full speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Like this?

:001_rolle:stuart:

proxy.php

Razors switched back to round one sides and rang the bell and both come out fighting!!

SCORE CARD: Round 3

Efficiency: OT: The OT just mows down more on the first pass but at the end 3 passes both sides felt the same

Smoothness: NEW: I never felt the blade. The Old Type seemed to chatter a few times on 4 days growth. I think this is due to the lighter head.

Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....): NEW: I'll repeat my comments from the first round..Didn't have any issues with either. The OT is like a race car, light and agile. The NEW is smooth and comfortable like a Buick. This time though I was spot on with the NEW angle.

overall experience: NEW: Last round the OT left a few weepers on the lower part of the neck this time. This is a known sensitive spot so I was curious what switching sides would do this time. With a lighter touch with the NEW on the same spot I didn't get any weepers and only a slight irritation. Much improved. So NEW for the win

Winner of round 3: NEW

Last edited:
Razors switched back to round one sides and rang the bell and both come out fighting!!

SCORE CARD: Round 3

Efficiency: OT: The OT just mows down more on the first pass but at the end 3 passes both sides felt the same

Smoothness: NEW: I never felt the blade. The Old Type seemed to chatter a few times on 4 days growth. I think this is due to the lighter head.

Your angle is too steep.

Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....): NEW: I'll repeat my comments from the first round..Didn't have any issues with either. The OT is like a race car, light and agile. The NEW is smooth and comfortable like a Buick. This time though I was spot on with the NEW angle.

overall experience: NEW: Last round the OT left a few weepers on the lower part of the neck this time. This is a known sensitive spot so I was curious what switching sides would do this time. With a lighter touch with the NEW on the same spot I didn't get any weepers and only a slight irritation. Much improved. So NEW for the win

You cheated for the New!

Winner of round 3: NEW

^^^^^^ EXPAND^^^^^^

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Round 3

Efficiency: Old Type
Smoothness: NEW
Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....): NEW
overall experience: NEW

Winner of round THREE: THE NEW.

Round Seven:
Old Type with two piece handle
New Type short comb
GFT Rose cream
Voskhod blades.

Efficiency: Tie between the Old Type and New Type
Smoothness: Old Type.
Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....):Old Type.
Overall experience: Old Type provided a better experience overall

Winner of round Seven: The Old Type.

Feb 22: Grudge Match: Old Type thick cap vs NEW SC (Round 2)

Lather: Williams Mug Soap (vintage 2000-2002)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft "Disruptor" (22mm/57mm)
Razor: Gillette Old Type "thick cap" (1921-29)
Second Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb (with squared corner tabs)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp Stainless [55]
Balm: Proraso White Crema Dopo Barba

Both razors used the same blade being swapped between razors. The NEW SC shaved my right side (I'm right handed) and the Old Type shaved the left side. The NEW SC used its stock the thin common bar handle (which I don't like) and my Old Type used a fat Tech handle.

Efficiency: Old Type by a mile

Smoothness: Old Type by a mile and a half. The NEW SC actually felt harsh - first time that's ever happened. I attribute that to the fact that maybe this geriatric blade just doesn't work well in this razor. The Old Type was perfectly smooth.

Ease of Shave: Old Type, mainly because it was smoother today, but also because the thin common bar handle gets real slippery with vintage Williams on your fingers.

Overall Experience: Old Type by a landslide. Round 3 will be with a brand new blade as this one is going in the bin.

Winner of Round 2: Old Type thick cap

I was shocked how much better the OT is than the NEW at clearing away whiskers. The NEW is a far more comfortable shave--at least for me.

I was shocked how much better the OT is than the NEW at clearing away whiskers. The NEW is a far more comfortable shave--at least for me.

Yes, the OT being more "efficient" is my experience too... but I've found the OT is more comfortable too!

YMMV and all that...

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So I waited to post My last Shaving Episode
The Results are very surprising to Me , at the start I thought that My NEWs would reign
and The Old Type would be a distant second . Since The last time John had this match
two things have changed. My technique has improved with the OT and I have learned
not give up on a Razor to soon.
I still love the Shaves I get with My NEWs and all The Shaves in The Matches where very close .
My Favorite and Still The Queen of The Razor Cabinet is My 1936 Gillette Aristocrat , Hands down .
Well here is the winner of the last Shave by a whisker
Gillette 1920 Bulldog over a Gillette NEW Short Comb
Brush-Graydog #1 2 Band Badger 25.5mm
20170221_164243.jpg

Hi,

I am late to this party as I was in the One Blade Challenge.

But here I go:

Round 1
Thin Cap Old on left, SC New on the right
Ball end handles on both
Fresh Personna Lab Blue blades
My Carden Farms and Oster soap mix, face lathered.
Two passes on one lathering as I always do. WTG then ATG.
The Old is shimless, BTW.

Efficiency: Old. This is my Grandfather's skin-scraper. It is always my best cutter save for my other Grandfather's cobalt steel straight.

Smoothness: New. Because it is not such a skin-scraper.

Ease of the shave New. I do not have to pay nearly as close attention with the New.

overall experience: New. The New side has no irritation. The Old side does.

Winner of round (one): New.

Now, someone tell me if I shave Old Left and New Right tomorrow as I did today, or do I reverse the sides?

Stan

Top Bottom