What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

Thanks to all the tips I had a better shave than I have had. Took it alot slower, thinking about the angle and rinsing often. Still lots of room to improve of course. Thanks to all the friendly people for your input. Now I will see how long a blade lasts and stick to the r89 for a while as someone mentioned earlier just to get the hang of it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

new headshaver checking in here.
Had my third headshave last night.

First one was last saturday, went pretty well.
I have 3 bumps on the back of my head, only nicked one slightly.

Had another shave monday.
Started ATG immediately, big mistake since my scalp is not yet used to getting shaved.
Nicked all 3 bumps and had slight red irritation on the back of my head.

Last night was the third shave, WTG and XTG on the sides of my head.
Again nicked all 3 bumps, no irritation.

Any tips on how to deal with bumps on your head?
I use a Giessen & Forsthoff DE razor.

Started ATG immediately, big mistake since my scalp is not yet used to getting shaved.

Welcome to the chrome dome section of the forum!

I don't have any bumps, but do have a couple small moles on the back of my neck. When I first started I would hold a finger over it then shave up to my finger, then I would very lightly shave over it. Now that I know where they are I'm just very careful in the areas. I rarely have problems with them now, but every once in a while will get a hold of one. Then I have to be extra careful until it heals back up.

Welcome to the chrome dome section of the forum!

I don't have any bumps, but do have a couple small moles on the back of my neck. When I first started I would hold a finger over it then shave up to my finger, then I would very lightly shave over it. Now that I know where they are I'm just very careful in the areas. I rarely have problems with them now, but every once in a while will get a hold of one. Then I have to be extra careful until it heals back up.

Very nice strategy, will give it a try tomorrow!
Is there a special headshave SOTD section? :)

Very well, we'll do.
I think headshaving deserves its own thread and subthreads in my opinion.
Just like the General Straight Razor Talk thread.

Headshaving is not for a club or brotherhood, but for a large number of people.

Very well, we'll do.
I think headshaving deserves its own thread and subthreads in my opinion.
Just like the General Straight Razor Talk thread.

Headshaving is not for a club or brotherhood, but for a large number of people.
This has came up several times before, I thought the same thing when I first started out. It's pretty much thought that after a few months of head shaving you realize it is really no different than face shaving (Just makes you look cooler :thumbsup:) An entire forum would really just sit idle most of the time. A thread like this seems much more appropriate even this thread will sit iddle for days or even weeks at times.

Well you could be righ, after all I have only just started headshaving.
I'll be checking in here regularly in any case. ;)

I leveled a bump once, was using a NEW SC. I changed to a milder razor, Postwar Tech, and never looked back. The bump was able to heal and I was still able to get a BBS dome. I typically don't use aggressive razors anymore.

How many shaves do you get out of a blade? Feather, astra sp, gilette 7o clock back for example. How do you know it needs to be changed?

I leveled a bump once, was using a NEW SC. I changed to a milder razor, Postwar Tech, and never looked back. The bump was able to heal and I was still able to get a BBS dome. I typically don't use aggressive razors anymore.

I actually have had the opposite experience - I very rarely nick the scar on the back of my head with an aggressive razor, but almost routinely bleed on head, throat and right above my ears with my Microtech.

I think that I'm more conscious of shaving with my more aggressive razors, and a bit more careless with milder razors.

How many shaves do you get out of a blade? Feather, astra sp, gilette 7o clock back for example. How do you know it needs to be changed?
Depends on prep, lather, technique, and razor design... From an Astra SP, I get 20+ face and head shaves from one blade. If I put the blade in a more aggressive razor after 20, I can get more. I hit 29 on a Polsilver SI, probably could have got more if I was willing to put in the work.

For me, the blade is done when it takes more strokes/passes than usual to get a BBS shave.

I wouldn't worry about that right now though. Focus on prep, lather, and technique. Longevity will come when you have those down.

It depends on what the bumps are. Moles? Ingrown hairs? Folliculitis? Other?

The biggest suggestion I have is to use some moisturizer on your scalp before the shave. I don't personally like the oils, but some do. I use Nivea Creme (blue or white tub makes little difference). Just something that is water and glycerin based and rubs in completely.

Moisturized skin = pliable skin = less cuts, nicks, weepers.

Depends on prep, lather, technique, and razor design... From an Astra SP, I get 20+ face and head shaves from one blade. If I put the blade in a more aggressive razor after 20, I can get more. I hit 29 on a Polsilver SI, probably could have got more if I was willing to put in the work.

For me, the blade is done when it takes more strokes/passes than usual to get a BBS shave.

I wouldn't worry about that right now though. Focus on prep, lather, and technique. Longevity will come when you have those down.

Yes, I was thinking mostly so that it doesnt impact the learning. There is no point in changing blade every time and just wanted to know how many i could do. If it was 2-3 or 10ish? :)

It depends on what the bumps are. Moles? Ingrown hairs? Folliculitis? Other?

The biggest suggestion I have is to use some moisturizer on your scalp before the shave. I don't personally like the oils, but some do. I use Nivea Creme (blue or white tub makes little difference). Just something that is water and glycerin based and rubs in completely.

Moisturized skin = pliable skin = less cuts, nicks, weepers.

Excellent advidse on the moisturizer, I have the blue tin flat tub, is that the one you mean?

As far as the bumps go, they are just bumps, they have normal skin color just like my scalp.
I am seriously thinking about seeing a doctor about them, just had a closer look and I dont like the look of the back of my head with those bumps.

Excellent advidse on the moisturizer, I have the blue tin flat tub, is that the one you mean?

As far as the bumps go, they are just bumps, they have normal skin color just like my scalp.
I am seriously thinking about seeing a doctor about them, just had a closer look and I dont like the look of the back of my head with those bumps.

Yeah, tha's what I use most often, though I'm using up a white tub of the Soft version right now.

I would have a derm take a look at the bumps. Even before I started shaving my head with a razor, I had a couple of spots removed because the clippers would catch when getting hair cuts. They were basically a type of cyst due to follicle irration. Came off pretty easily with one of the punch biopsy tools. Single stitch and healed in about a week.

Yeah, tha's what I use most often, though I'm using up a white tub of the Soft version right now.

I would have a derm take a look at the bumps. Even before I started shaving my head with a razor, I had a couple of spots removed because the clippers would catch when getting hair cuts. They were basically a type of cyst due to follicle irration. Came off pretty easily with one of the punch biopsy tools. Single stitch and healed in about a week.

Not a bad idea, they look bad and are in the way of my headshave, what more reason do I need to have them removed? :)
I'll try the Nivea tomorrow, for my 4th headshave. :001_cool:

Yes, I was thinking mostly so that it doesnt impact the learning. There is no point in changing blade every time and just wanted to know how many i could do. If it was 2-3 or 10ish? :)
When I first started shaving my head with a DE, I only shaved WTG and got about 7 days out of a blade. Started shaving WTG/ATG and changed razors and started getting 18 head shaves from one blade. I started flipping the blade over everyday and would probably get around 30 now. I started using one blade for face and head, so I'm not exactly sure about the last number, could be more.

Nivea créme preshave
Giessen & Forsthoff
Polsilver Super Iridium
Razorock Plissoft
TBS Maca Root
Hema Shea Butter ASB

A very comfortable headshave.

IMG_20170223_183615890.jpg

Top Bottom