What's new

Generally speaking, where do you stand with slant head razors

Generally speaking, where do you stand with slant head razors

• Total voters
For me slants are for 2+ days stubble. And I love them. But they're too aggressive as a daily shaver for me. I use Astra SP in my slants (Merkur 37c and PAA Bakelite).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was part of a slant passaround. While it gave a good shave, I don't think it was any better than the one I get with my EJ de86. I only have a moderate beard though. From what I've read here misalignment of the blade can be a problem with slants as well. I had a tough time getting the blade in the passaround slant to torque down properly, it skewed so more of the blade edge was showing at one corner than the other on both sides. I was glad I tried one first, it saved me the money of buying one.

I was curious so bought two different slant razors and don't like them that much. You certainly could make an argument that I could experiment with different blades with them, but I don't want to do that. Overall I just find it pretty challenging to get a smooth shave with no irritation

My experience is similar to yours. Many here like them however. Truly YMMV!

There's the whole "guillotine" cutting angle and what not. But here's the reality. Whereas a guillotine blade is at a 45 degree angle as it slices through a neck, a slant razor blade is only a couple of degrees off perpendicular. Couple that with a very small diameter lubricated whisker, I just cannot see how a couple of degrees off perpendicular can result in this unbelievably better shave. I think it's really people expecting this better shave that somehow clouds their judgement of the actual result.
I doubt that the placebo effect is the explanation for what is happening. I have maybe 1/2 dozen shaves on my first slant and I'm already eyeing another. Why? Because the amount of ingrown hairs I get has already been reduced by ~90%. Prior to the slant, even thinking about DFS was enough to cover the bottom third of my neckbeard-zone with angry ingrowns. Not anymore. Pre-slant? Don't even think about ATG. Slant? Small tests leave me feeling pretty optimistic.

I'm not calling slants magical, or specifically claiming that the "guillotine action" is responsible. It could be the tension on the blade, or the shaving angle, or the minimal pressure, or something completely overlooked. I'm just pointing out that my results are too tangible to be solely based on user bias.

I know this post probably won't be very popular, but I have been thinking about slants a lot since I purchased a Merkur after reading favorable things about slants here and from Leisureguy. There's the whole "guillotine" cutting angle and what not. But here's the reality. Whereas a guillotine blade is at a 45 degree angle as it slices through a neck, a slant razor blade is only a couple of degrees off perpendicular. Couple that with a very small diameter lubricated whisker, I just cannot see how a couple of degrees off perpendicular can result in this unbelievably better shave. I think it's really people expecting this better shave that somehow clouds their judgement of the actual result. Cognitive dissonance? I know there will be some who think I'm nuts or inexperienced, but I have only applied scientific logic to what is actually happening at the microscopic level, and to me it seems clear that a couple of degrees is not going cut a whisker any more efficiently than if cut straight on. Again, I know the argument seems clear when compared to slicing with knives, guillotines, and so forth, but this is a single wet, lubricated hair, that, compared to the size of the blade meeting it, isn't going to wield all that much different than to a normal razor angle. I am curious to know if others have had the same thoughts amongst all this hype. For me, I'll stick to my R89 and get perfect ATG BBS shaves.

Dantheviking

I'm afraid you're very wrong about that and I'll tell you why. I am a long time DE shaver with a tough beard and sensitive skin. I've tried many razors and blades, some of which you can't get anymore. I can tell you for sure that slant razors aren't hype at all and those few degrees make all the difference. They ensure that your whiskers are sliced and not chopped, which, in terms of physics, is a more effective cutting action for shaving, there is less tugging on your hair. I can use any blade more effectively in my 37C, even Derby's which are a no go for me in a normal razor. It's not me imagining it, that's how it works, every time. I can shave BBS every time, with a sharper blade, just lathering once ( twice on my chin, I do it last and refresh the lather to stop it drying, no additional passes though ). I get no irritation and its extremely rare for me to get any nicks, never any weepers. No other razor is as effective as this for me, not even close, not without razor burn. Personally I think that if most people learned how to use a slant properly they'd get better results, and no razor burn, they're that good when mastered. I despair when I hear of people getting nicks and weepers all the time, this should not happen (unless you're a noob). Too much experimentation in my experience, been there, done that. I can get a BBS shave in about 7 minutes, all done, no issues, every day. I can shave using my slant without a mirror if I need to no problem, but as I said I've been doing it for years. The Germans nailed it with the slant, learn it and love it.

i have one merkur 39c its an aggressive shaver so its needs a smoth blade like derby . i dont have the teknik in yet so i will have to use smooth razors first like ej 89 or likevise , one thing that is important is to have some preshave oil before shaving that will make Your shaving much smoother ,

I had RR 37 German Slant. The head got clogged easily and I found the shaving angle little too tricky in neck area. It did shave very well WTG and XTG though.

Slants can be simulated with any razor by keeping the razor tilted to one side. It definitely makes the slicing happening easier.

I can attest to this. When I've angled my razor sideways, I get GREAT slices. Which is why I don't do it. I don't like the blood.

Whereas a guillotine blade is at a 45 degree angle as it slices through a neck, a slant razor blade is only a couple of degrees off perpendicular. Couple that with a very small diameter lubricated whisker, I just cannot see how a couple of degrees off perpendicular can result in this unbelievably better shave.
Dantheviking

I think that you're more correct than slant owners would like to believe. I would suspect that the true key is that the people using slants well are paying more attention to the razor and how it sits on the face.

It could also be that the slant lends itself to a better angle _to_ the face for cutting, rather than _on_ the face. That would go along (to me) with the people that say that slants work best on thick hair.

As others have said I get much better shaves from a Slant. Even blades that otherwise don't work well for me. The guillotine effect may have a bit to do with it, but I suspect the twist to the blade adding tension plays a larger part. With a standard DE I get a lot of blade chatter unless I use the sharpest of blades. That chatter is the blade flopping around and not cutting efficiently. I never get this with a slant. I also never get tugging with a slant as I do with many standard DE's.

Those claiming they can get the same effect pulling a standard DE through their whiskers at an angle...the Gillette slide...are incorrect. While the Gillette slide is a proven technique that assists with tough beards, you are missing the benefit of a stiffened blade being torqued by a slant head. In my experience the stiffer blade is of more importance than the angled shave. Put the two together and you have an excellent razor.

My thoughts on slants are that I don't understand them because I've never tried one. And I don't really feel the need to try one. I guess I really don't understand the point of twisting the blade, although snowman has given me a good sense of the purpose above. I suppose I'll have to do some reading on this site to get a better sense of the benefits of a slant. And then I'll end up being all p'd off because then I'll have yet another razor to add to my list of razors that I want to buy. I'm really trying to curtail the spending of money on shaving gear but this site isn't helping. That's why I love it so much. Deep sigh.

I got my first slant back in September. I was happily going along with a DE89 for 4 years before I started buying things again, and a Maggard Slant was one of those things. It's now pretty much my daily driver and I love its efficiency. I get closer shaves with less effort and no irritation. I don't know exactly why it works, but to be honest, I don't care.

The only other razor that I have that gives my slant a run for its money is a Fatip Grande, but that thing feels way more aggressive on my face than the slant does. I feel like the Fatip does shave closer, but I feel like the slant gives me more comfort and 95% of the closeness. I can easily make up that last 5% with some touch-ups and buffing, etc.

I've tried a few, hoping that the "twist" would add some stiffness to the blade edge, resulting in a more efficient cutting action. I've gotten cut, all right, and not just the hair. I find that the slants, and most three-piece razors in general, just seem fraught with peril for me, giving neither closeness nor comfort. I'm far happier with a TTO (Slim or Fatboy or Flare Tip). Heck, as three-piece razors go, I get a better shave with less irritation from a NEW SC.

The point at which I gave up was when my Icon X3 got caught - literally caught - on hairs at the curve of my chin. Wouldn't cut, just...stopped. I was using a Nacet, which is about my favorite blade. I took that blade, stuck it into my Slim, and enjoyed another six shaves with it.

Thanks, but I'll pass, with admitted disappointment.

Many seem to claim that slants gives closer shaves. From my experience with slants, I would say this is not true.

Even with a slant, the closeness of the shave comes from these things: Blade exposure, gap and most of all skills in keeping the razor at the sweet spot angle.

There are aggressive slants, but also mild ones. And closeness is all depending on this.

(I love slants and with most of them I experience less tugging)

The guillotine effect may have a bit to do with it, but I suspect the twist to the blade adding tension plays a larger part. With a standard DE I get a lot of blade chatter unless I use the sharpest of blades. That chatter is the blade flopping around and not cutting efficiently. I never get this with a slant.

Of all razors I have, the PAA Bakelite Slant is the one giving most "blade chatter". It is far more than any non-slant razor I have.

I think the most important feature of a razor if you want to avoid "blade chatter" is the width of the cap. A narrow cap, as with PAA Bakelite Slant, will not give much support for the blade.

Personally, I dislike the term "twisted" and "torqued" when it comes to slants as the blade is actually neither. In a normal razor the blade is bent along the center line, with a slant it is bent along a line somewhere between the diagonal and the center line. Still it is just bent into a slight "U"-shape, but not twisted.

EDIT: I think what causes many slants to not have "blade chatter" is the slight improvement in cutting because of the guillotine effect. Less resistance means less chatter.

Last edited:
Even with a slant, the closeness of the shave comes from these things: Blade exposure, gap and most of all skills in keeping the razor at the sweet spot angle.
I suspect that many people who have tried and disliked slants had trouble finding and keeping that angle. In my limited experience, slants seem to be far pickier about shaving angle. Too low and it gets aggressive; too high and it grabs/pulls hair/chatters. Either way, being even slightly off significantly impacts comfort and efficiency.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I was part of a slant passaround. While it gave a good shave, I don't think it was any better than the one I get with my EJ de86. I only have a moderate beard though. From what I've read here misalignment of the blade can be a problem with slants as well. I had a tough time getting the blade in the passaround slant to torque down properly, it skewed so more of the blade edge was showing at one corner than the other on both sides. I was glad I tried one first, it saved me the money of buying one.

Actually, I've read through many threads and come to the conclusion that blade edge showing more at one corner than the other on both sides is correct. If you go to the Phoenix Bakelite loading video he says don't be fooled by how the blade angle looks it is loaded correctly. I have the Bakelite and the 37c. If I load the blade into the 37c where it is even with the top cap it shaves the same as my Merkur 34c. If I just set the top cap screw up on a towel and place the blade then handle and tighten, like Merkur suggests, it aligns the blade more at one corner than the other on both sides. When I do that it is more efficient. The skew is always an even skew, so it aligns perfectly every time skewed. In that way their is no "Merkur alignment issues" with their slants. I don't over think it now just pop the blade in and go. If the blade is supposed to be even along the edge of the top cap I'd toss the razor as being just OK because I already own a 34c.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

You might find this interesting. Look at the Photo's by Nemo and others, and pay attention to Cal's comment and small photo. I'm thoroughly convinced the skew is proper, as that is how slants load naturally. Given that you may want to revisit the slant. I do like them but still prefer my Fatip OC's. Slant razor blade exposure

An enthusiastic +1 to snowman's post above. Slants have become my preferred DE's. A well torqued slant holds the blade in the 'stiffened' manner eliminating any blade chatter. A well designed slant shaves as well for me as any of the thicker/stiffer SE blades available. Right now the Ikon X3 and thicker gauged Kai DE blades are working magically for me.

Top Bottom