What's new

Does a multi rack/stand exist for multiple brushes?

IMG_4461.JPG
IMG_4462.JPG
I use what I could only assume was a spice rack as it's original intended purpose but it works great for my brushes. Picked it up at a flea market for $1 can't complain, nothing fancy but it works.

IMG_0371.JPG

Problem I have with a pre fab brush holder is the varying sizes. My stands are knot sizes plus 2 mm and my brushes range from 24 mm to 30 mm. So I had a rack built like a sofa table (a rectangular shape made of nice wood) and I stack the individual stands above the first row.

Wow! Great stuff above.

Just last weekend I found some scrap wood in my garage and decided to make a rack for my stuff too. Paint or stain will happen eventually.

Seeing the above, I now have a few more ideas, and may need to get some nicer wood to work with (other than ply and 2x4).
RazorRack.jpg

Suggestion on wood types. For the top rail, where the razor heads will lie, get a very close grained wood, and oil it, rather than varnish. Varnish and shellacs can be great for looks, and possibly waterproofing, but they _can_ stick to the smooth surface of the razors. For native woods, good close grained woods would be mahogany, some oaks, a few maple. For imports, bocote and cocobolo are very beautiful woods that are almost completely waterproof without any treatment at all. I use linseed oil for finishing. You'll want to re-treat with oil at least once a year, possibly twice a year if you're in a very dry climate, or keep the ac and/or heat going all the time.

For the base and uprights, use whatever looks good, and use whatever finish you want.

When you cut the slots for the brushes did you cut them all the same width, or is each one custom cut to fit a specific brush?

They are very close to the same size. This is an older picture and half of those brushes have moved on and have been replaced with newer ones, so I anticipated changes in brush sizes buy making the slots tapered (kind of v-shaped) so smaller brush handles slide further back.

Suggestion on wood types. For the top rail, where the razor heads will lie, get a very close grained wood, and oil it, rather than varnish. Varnish and shellacs can be great for looks, and possibly waterproofing, but they _can_ stick to the smooth surface of the razors. For native woods, good close grained woods would be mahogany, some oaks, a few maple. For imports, bocote and cocobolo are very beautiful woods that are almost completely waterproof without any treatment at all. I use linseed oil for finishing. You'll want to re-treat with oil at least once a year, possibly twice a year if you're in a very dry climate, or keep the ac and/or heat going all the time.

For the base and uprights, use whatever looks good, and use whatever finish you want.

Thank you. I'll take this advice.

Note that I am not a wood worker; not even a hobby for me. So I have no idea what I'm doing. I used a circular saw for shaping and a Unibit for the holes. :D

Thank you. I'll take this advice.

Note that I am not a wood worker; not even a hobby for me. So I have no idea what I'm doing. I used a circular saw for shaping and a Unibit for the holes. :D

Seems to be okay to me. You use the tools you have, and you recognize your limitations. You'd be amazed at how few tools a true professional can use to get a good result (not me). Many of those special tools are just to make the job faster/cleaner, not really any better.

DSC00269.JPG

Here is the rack I use. Just a board with some pegs. It will hold 10 brushes or 20 razors or any combination you want to utilize the pegs.

Top Bottom