What's new

If you could start wet shaving all over again...

I would use only my favorite Tech razor.
Astra SS blades. 12 bucks per 100.
My cheap Omega boar brush.
Cella soap and the Proraso products.
For AS, Aqua Velva and Mennen Afta.
Nothing else.

I'm surprised nobody has said this yet-I would have skipped the Art of Shaving. I bought a couple of the starter sets when I first learned about it. But then I found this site and tried Proraso and TOBS and realized I didn't need the pre shave oil and after shave balm.

I'd pick up a good synthetic brush and a Type M Schick Injector, and be very happy. I'd also use Proraso shaving cream, and skip all the various pucks I've tried.

I wouldn't waste my time and money on synthetic brushes.

Lol I'm the exact opposite. I have two synthetics one I love that I received in a PIF ... but the cheep one I have has a special place reserved in hell for it. It came as part of a shaving kit thing I received years ago and I found it with the dust bunnies under the vanity. It's horrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to say that I would have started earlier, but the truth is that I don't think I would have appreciated it as much when I was younger. I think I started about the right time for me. Maybe a few years ago would been good, but not when I was in high school or college.

When I started shaving there were no computers, Black and white tv was still the norm and the Gillette Slim was only $1.98, Still shave with it, along with my Dads Fatboy that my brother and I bought him for his birthday. I wouldn't change a thing.

When I started shaving there were no computers, Black and white tv was still the norm and the Gillette Slim was only $1.98, Still shave with it, along with my Dads Fatboy that my brother and I bought him for his birthday. I wouldn't change a thing.
And you walked to school through 14 inches of snow, uphill, both ways?

I was a bit past that, but Gillette was still making the SuperSpeed. The only shave soap I remember seeing was Williams' Mug soap, with no brushes anywhere near. I think they don't understand that it doesn't help to sell the soap if you can't find a brush - unless you grab one of the bar-b-que flavoured ones from the cooking aisle :) So, there's not much I could think of to change of when I -started-. Later on, I'd have simply not bothered with the electric shavers at all.

Stock up on all that was available those many decades ago, put it away, and sell it now to fund retirement! Also purchase enough of my favorites (blades, soap, etc.) so that I wouldn't run out.

I started out with your #2 (or at least close). An MTO, Dorco blades. Sometime in the first six months I started trying other blades. At 6 months, I purchased a brush and soap. I might change how soon I made that change. But more or less the same as I did then. Maybe a different razor, but maybe not.

I saw previous posts where you mentioned that you had your dad's FB. I thought that was darn special. But this is the first I noticed that you and your brother bought it for him. The coolness factor just went up x3. Any chance you got to go to the factory to watch it being made? :tongue_sm

So, how did you, rather than your brother, end up with your dad's FB?

KISS: one set-up until my technique was solid! Than would have saved a lot of time and effort.

Not a thing. It's all been enjoyable. Even my venture into Straight razors, which I decided wasn't for me. But still, highly enjoyable.

I don't consider any money ill spent because it was all part of the experience.

I'd probably start with a vintage Tech instead of the DE89, but really, I've had a lot of fun collecting and trying a bunch of vintage and new razors, so I don't have much in the way of regret.

Top Bottom