What's new

Chubby 2 Synthetic

I'm having a heck of a time getting this brush to release lather. There's tons of lather deep in the brush but it won't come out unless I aggressively palm lather and then apply by hand. Any suggestions? Face lathering doesn't work particularly well. Hard to make brush splay and when I do it loses its softness.....

You're not alone. The only way I've found to release enough lather is to mash the sucker onto my face. I've heard that the test groups all asked for a higher loft, but Simpsons didn't listen. I posted this same problem earlier in the thread and still saw a lot of love for this brush. I've given it 5 or 6 chances now and while my last shave was decent enough I don't like to work this hard for lather. There are $20 Plisson style knots for sale from everyone that blow this thing away.

Seriously thinking about getting this re-knotted by someone. It's hard to use this brush.

I considered doing this as well. However, this was about the time I started rethinking the need to splay my brushes. Coming to the conclusion that it was unnecessary, I started using just the tips of the brush and found that I very much enjoy the brush now. Do I think it could benefit from a higher loft/bigger knot hole...very much so, but I'm finding the brush much more useable now.

do you face lather with the brush?

QUOTE="paintflinger, post: 8846287, member: 70368"]I considered doing this as well. However, this was about the time I started rethinking the need to splay my brushes. Coming to the conclusion that it was unnecessary, I started using just the tips of the brush and found that I very much enjoy the brush now. Do I think it could benefit from a higher loft/bigger knot hole...very much so, but I'm finding the brush much more useable now.[/QUOTE]

do you face lather with the brush?

QUOTE="paintflinger, post: 8846287, member: 70368"]I considered doing this as well. However, this was about the time I started rethinking the need to splay my brushes. Coming to the conclusion that it was unnecessary, I started using just the tips of the brush and found that I very much enjoy the brush now. Do I think it could benefit from a higher loft/bigger knot hole...very much so, but I'm finding the brush much more useable now.
[/QUOTE]
Yessir

This brush was on my wish list. After reading some of these comments I think that I will go for something else.
I am trying to build up a small collection of synthetic brushes and I recently purchased a Stirling brush (not the Kong) with a 26mm knot and a 54mm loft for just over £20 and it is an excellent brush. Perhaps I'll wait for Simpsons to bring out some other sizes.

This brush was on my wish list. After reading some of these comments I think that I will go for something else.
I am trying to build up a small collection of synthetic brushes and I recently purchased a Stirling brush (not the Kong) with a 26mm knot and a 54mm loft for just over £20 and it is an excellent brush. Perhaps I'll wait for Simpsons to bring out some other sizes.

Its definitely a YMMV thing - the Chubby Synthetic is my favorite brush. I like it a lot more than my EJ Silvertip Fibre, Razorock Bruce handle and other badger and boar brushes. Simpson also has a Duke 3 synthetic, which is a smaller knot if that is more your interest.
How do you like the Stirling?

I got lucky and mine has a 54 loft. You can always ask the vendor if they have one with a higher loft. It trumps all my other synths.

Its definitely a YMMV thing - the Chubby Synthetic is my favorite brush. I like it a lot more than my EJ Silvertip Fibre, Razorock Bruce handle and other badger and boar brushes. Simpson also has a Duke 3 synthetic, which is a smaller knot if that is more your interest.
How do you like the Stirling?
My Stirling brush is great. The 26mm knot is dense and the 54mm loft makes for a great face and bowl latherer.
I believe that the Stirling Kong has the same size knot with a 56mm loft.
Here's mine:
Stirling.jpg

I used the Ch2 synth again with the tip that paintfinger gave and it worked well. Instead of trying to force the splay, I just used the tips and it worked. Thanks.

Top Bottom