What's new

What's Cooking 2017

I didn't take any pics because I was so embarrassed but last night I trashed it up with an unexpected surprise.

My cousin was visiting a couple weeks ago and she bought some oven-bake steak fries. Not something I ever have in the house. I also had a steak in the freezer. So I thawed the steak and threw it on the grill.

To go faux-steakhouse, I diced up the fries and sautéed them with onions and garlic until browned. Then I tossed in some shredded cheddar and asiago, a few scallion, a splash of cream, and a few grinds of pepper. Mixed it all until the cheese was melted and poured it in a ramekin. Tossed it in the oven while the steak was on the grill. Wow - way better than I expected. Crispy, browned, cheesy, and creamy.

Made my wife a frittata for dinner tonight vegetable stir fry for me. Shallots, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli and red Swiss Chard.

She baked a wild blueberry pie, i think i got the better part of the deal. Greek yogurt for the pie.

dave

I didn't take any pics because I was so embarrassed but last night I trashed it up with an unexpected surprise.

My cousin was visiting a couple weeks ago and she bought some oven-bake steak fries. Not something I ever have in the house. I also had a steak in the freezer. So I thawed the steak and threw it on the grill.

To go faux-steakhouse, I diced up the fries and sautéed them with onions and garlic until browned. Then I tossed in some shredded cheddar and asiago, a few scallion, a splash of cream, and a few grinds of pepper. Mixed it all until the cheese was melted and poured it in a ramekin. Tossed it in the oven while the steak was on the grill. Wow - way better than I expected. Crispy, browned, cheesy, and creamy.
I've done similar with tater tots as well when they unexpectedly landed in my freezer. Works out pretty darn good for a bit of cheating sort of thing. :)

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

Sounds great, Chris! ... and the best part was hearing that you were able to enjoy a small feast again! :thumbup1:

Made my wife a frittata for dinner tonight vegetable stir fry for me. Shallots, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli and red Swiss Chard.

She baked a wild blueberry pie, i think i got the better part of the deal. Greek yogurt for the pie.

dave

Looks great, Dave!

No pictures, but I cooked Pan Seared Steak, served with sautéed, sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms & Shallots and a Balsamic Reduction... sliced Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes... Steamed Asparagus with Lemon Butter... and a Side Salad.

Thanks Connie! My wife suggested putting the chard in and was happy she did once she'd sampled the results.

dave

Thanks Connie,

Good and bad days. I like the ones where I am hungry and can eat. :) But apparently there aren't enough of them. I was prescribed today with some protein shakes to make me gain weight - or at least stop the weight loss - a problem I would have liked a few years ago when I was 25 pounds overweight . I would take some pics, but they are a little boring. Hahaha.

I had another go at the chicken curry from earlier in the thread - I am thinking of having some friends over for a curry evening so there's no harm in a little practice! As previously, I used thighs on the bone, more liquid and finished with Greek yoghurt. I also cooked the onions for a lot longer than before and this is now officially the best way to cook it. Although I have to report we did not finish it all, and I had the remains for lunch the next day, even better!
16830786_10155866820208275_2867540976531727581_n.jpg
16807705_10155866820213275_3760088242918795352_n.jpg
16649396_10155866820218275_4072423945762937213_n.jpg
16832019_10155866820223275_344999682333163046_n.jpg

Fried rice, favorite easy and quick supper:

proxy.php

First time I used a Panasonic rice cooker. Quite different than what we used to serve as rice. The machine is much better.

Haven't tried gnocchi before, fixed that tonight.

Gnocchi with stir fried chicken thighs, leeks and rapini in cream sauce. Sauce is Greek yogurt, grainy dijon and orange juice.

Little pillows of goodness, will be eating more of these guys in the future.

Music- another closing record store, among others picked up a 3cd John Lee Hooker comp, gnocchi and Hooker for dinner.

dave

Didn't cook a thing. I let Crackle Barrel do it tonight. Grandpa's country fried breakfast. Consists of chicken fried chicken w/gray, 2 eggs over easy, hashbrown casserole, grits, & biscuits and gravy. Washed it all down with sweet tea. I'm a happy fat kid!
20170226_181333.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Didn't cook a thing. I let Crackle Barrel do it tonight. Grandpa's country fried breakfast. Consists of chicken fried chicken w/gray, 2 eggs over easy, hashbrown casserole, grits, & biscuits and gravy. Washed it all down with sweet tea. I'm a happy fat kid!

I love Cracker Barrel. Somehow they make you feel like you are a part of a big Southern family.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I needed to use up some veg. Here is a broccoli, mushroom, red pepper, spinach, onion, and cheese, impossible quiche. Done at 10:30 PM and tested by my wife and I. :drool: This will be good for a few meals.

Pics for Upload3.jpg

I have a cabbage and kielbasa thing in the slow cooker, but I was so busy with the trying to cook fast, I didn't get really any in progress pics... I'm not sure it'll look great when done, but plated pics will happen, as well as general recipe if it tastes decently enough. lol

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Haven't tried gnocchi before, fixed that tonight.

Gnocchi with stir fried chicken thighs, leeks and rapini in cream sauce. Sauce is Greek yogurt, grainy dijon and orange juice.

Little pillows of goodness, will be eating more of these guys in the future.

Music- another closing record store, among others picked up a 3cd John Lee Hooker comp, gnocchi and Hooker for dinner.

dave
I see your a fan of thighs, too. I like them because they're relatively cheap (I skin them myself to save a little more) and hard to mess up.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have a cabbage and kielbasa thing in the slow cooker, but I was so busy with the trying to cook fast, I didn't get really any in progress pics... I'm not sure it'll look great when done, but plated pics will happen, as well as general recipe if it tastes decently enough. lol
Is cabbage and sausage an Irish thing? I know we had that every New Years, plus throughout the year.

Is cabbage and sausage an Irish thing? I know we had that every New Years, plus throughout the year.
It was listed as one off of one of the websites I poked around on while looking for ideas.. I took it at face value, but, it is just a website, so... *shrug* :lol:

Top Bottom