What's new

Shavette question

Disregarding the difference between a straight and a shavette, as I have been given a shavette I have tried to use it. I found it didn't cut that well, using a yellow 7oclock. Changed to a half astra platinum and it seems better but not a patch on the same blade in my de. I gave up this morning when I scratched myself and just finished off with the de. I'm not sure whether it's worth persevering

Hmm… Have you watched videos and looked at pictures to make sure you’re using a proper angle on your face? The blades you mention, especially the astra, should cut with avengeance! Are you loading the blade correctly? Most shavettes should show a tiny bit of the edge when loaded. Never thought of this until now, but I suppose you could try an hht with a shavette to make sure the blade-edge is out far enough to cut. When you *do* get it working, watch those 90 degree corners on the DE blade you’ve loaded; many a nick has come from those corners. BTW, it’s always worth persevering with a shavette!

If this is your first foray into a straight razor style of shaving, then the learning curve is a bit long, and it could take upwards of 50+ shaves to get the sort of results you read about others having with them. Even coming from traditional straight razors to shavettes will have a bit of a learning curve (though it is much shorter and faster). I would say to read the various Straight Razor Forum stickies, watch the various videos, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

As for if it's worth it, everyone that has gone through that trial and mastered them will say absolutely it's worth it. Those that gave up after however many shaves will say to just move on with DE's. Only you can really answer that one for yourself. :)

Tried again after work. My angle was far too steep before. Today I had the blade almost flat against my face and got a decent ish, fairly smooth shave on my cheeks. I daren't try any where else until I've got that but down! Did both cheeks without any blood...and then carelessly cut my knuckles on my other hand as I brought the razor down! Two shallow but bloody cuts for that but of absentmindedness!

Congrats! Sounds like good progress and a win! Situational awareness of where the razor is and how to move only one hand as to not accidentally cut them also comes with practice and repetition. When it comes to shavettes and straights, flatter angle is pretty much always better.

Tried again after work. My angle was far too steep before. Today I had the blade almost flat against my face and got a decent ish, fairly smooth shave on my cheeks. I daren't try any where else until I've got that but down! Did both cheeks without any blood...and then carelessly cut my knuckles on my other hand as I brought the razor down! Two shallow but bloody cuts for that but of absentmindedness!

I've been using a straight for over a year and just a few weeks ago dragged the razor across the pad of my thumb... ...5 stitches later all was good (mostly). It was just a lapse of concentration and I paid the price! Hang in there - it's worth the effort!

I've been using a straight for over a year and just a few weeks ago dragged the razor across the pad of my thumb... ...5 stitches later all was good (mostly). It was just a lapse of concentration and I paid the price! Hang in there - it's worth the effort!

That had to be painful! I am sorry to hear this. :scared: Was it out of fatigue? I find myself getting a little lazy when it has been a long shave.

Oops. Currently sitting with a wad of tissue clasped to my cheek. The blade really goes in there doesn't it!
I keep hurting myself but am strangely drawn to try again, despite my de shaves getting to be really quite good and smooth.

Oops. Currently sitting with a wad of tissue clasped to my cheek. The blade really goes in there doesn't it!
I keep hurting myself but am strangely drawn to try again, despite my de shaves getting to be really quite good and smooth.

Nicks and slips will happen, though it sounds like you got yourself a bit worse than the average tiny red line. There is no doubt that the edge will peel skin or slice a channel just as fast and easy as it shaves hair, it is has no care as to what process it's doing. Just like a chef's knife... carrot, cellery, steak, finger.

With the time and practice, the mistakes will become fewer, farther between, and less dramatic. Many of us feel that need to not let a blade and our inexperience win, so we all kept going back till we could say with confidence we had at least gotten proficient, if not mastered the techniques needed. :)

I lost a little bit of skin, it just bled a lot. I may give it a rest now as my de does eveything I want it too and I have now got the hang of doing that with no bleeding!

I didn't get away with sneezing downstairs for a plaster either ( it was necessary! ). Other half just doesn't understand!

All Shavettes are not of the same ilk. The Feather DX uses artist blades, which are also used in SE razors. Major upgrade from DE shavettes.

I like my parker shavette its very nice has a decent feel to it ...easy to clean and polish...and lol dont worry about that it takes a month or two before you stop cutting ...when i first started i sliced a chunk off of my chin...and nope you cant even tell its gone in fact i think it made it look better hahahaha

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you keep the blade relatively flat so it doesn't dig in, and maintain a pass perpendicular to the edge it will be harder to cut yourself. You can also initiate the pass a split second before the blade touches the skin to minimize inadvertent motions parallel to the edge. Placing the blade first on the skin and then moving it will encourage cuts when a beginner because the adrenalin and inexperience seems to invite jerky movements which equals cuts. YMMV, but keep it up! It is a very pleasurable way to shave.

Why not get an IBC shavette you can choose three different types of blade option all in the one IBC shavette model

Top Bottom