What's new

Food in Vancouver, Canada

Sorry, I don't know where to ask this but here goes. My wife and I want to have our 10 year anniversary in Vancouver, Canada, can any one suggest Resturants not to miss and things to do in the area. Thanks.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
I had great poutine with pulled pork in steam punk or called something like that at the top of gas town. Also got wasted on their great range of brews.

Andy, depending on your budget I can't think of a finer city to dine in.
If you want something classy, for seafood you can check out Joe Fortes or Coastal. For steaks I would highly recommend Gothams, Hy's (best Caesar salad imaginable), all three which are close to Mischief's suggestion near Robson street.
Black and Blue, Glowbal, Italian Kitchen are also close by on Robson as well as Thurlow.
The three above are mid range in prices and the first two have an amazing ambiance and settings.
There is also The Top of Vancouver restaurant which is a revolving restaurant giving you spectacular views of downtown vancouver, stanley park, the burrard inlet and the northshore mountains. This one wont disappoint if you wanted to get in as much as you can of Vancouver.
As alishock mentioned there are some very cool places in gastown as well. Many small eclectic eatery's and a plethora of craft breweries every other block.
Let me know if you were looking for something specific and perhaps I could point you in a different direction.
Cheers
Stan

Andy, depending on your budget I can't think of a finer city to dine in.
If you want something classy, for seafood you can check out Joe Fortes or Coastal. For steaks I would highly recommend Gothams, Hy's (best Caesar salad imaginable), all three which are close to Mischief's suggestion near Robson street.
Black and Blue, Glowbal, Italian Kitchen are also close by on Robson as well as Thurlow.
The three above are mid range in prices and the first two have an amazing ambiance and settings.
There is also The Top of Vancouver restaurant which is a revolving restaurant giving you spectacular views of downtown vancouver, stanley park, the burrard inlet and the northshore mountains. This one wont disappoint if you wanted to get in as much as you can of Vancouver.
As alishock mentioned there are some very cool places in gastown as well. Many small eclectic eatery's and a plethora of craft breweries every other block.
Let me know if you were looking for something specific and perhaps I could point you in a different direction.
Cheers
Stan

The wife likes her IPA's and we both like pub food. Seafood is always a plus. We also like to hike and don't mind the side day trip if there is something close that is worth seeing. Are there places we should stay away from? I've worked Oakland, CA on an ambulance and we frequent San Francisco so shady places don't scare me, but I don't need to expose the wife.

Well...depending on your time frame and time of year you are going will make a huge difference. Can you tell me when you are going and how long you're staying?
If you want to do a pub crawl then Gastown will bring you everything touristy mixed with neat pubs and unique eatery's. You can then walk to the train station and jump on the SeaBus which takes you across the water to North Vancouver. From there a quick taxi will take you to Grouse Mountain where you can hike to your hearts content. Taking you to the top of Grouse you'll get arguably the best view of the city. There is a pub up there too however this time of year there is still lots of snow (which is why I asked when you were coming). Spring is pretty amazing here. One of the only places in the world where you can ski, than an hour and a bit later come hang out at Kits beach in your bathing suit. If you had time I would suggest going to Whistler but that adds an hour and a half drive to your day.

Well...depending on your time frame and time of year you are going will make a huge difference. Can you tell me when you are going and how long you're staying?
If you want to do a pub crawl then Gastown will bring you everything touristy mixed with neat pubs and unique eatery's. You can then walk to the train station and jump on the SeaBus which takes you across the water to North Vancouver. From there a quick taxi will take you to Grouse Mountain where you can hike to your hearts content. Taking you to the top of Grouse you'll get arguably the best view of the city. There is a pub up there too however this time of year there is still lots of snow (which is why I asked when you were coming). Spring is pretty amazing here. One of the only places in the world where you can ski, than an hour and a bit later come hang out at Kits beach in your bathing suit. If you had time I would suggest going to Whistler but that adds an hour and a half drive to your day.

Sorry. Probably a week at the end of September. Unless we split the time between Vancouver and Seattle. I just want to drink coffee, look at architecture, eat good food, take in a museum and do what the locals do. We frequent SF and the tourist stuff just gets old. Shirt stand, snow globes, post cards, candy store, that's not what we want lol. I'm hoping fall colors might start then?

It's still very nice weather in late september. Definitely one of the nicest times to come to Vancouver as it's still warm and comfortable to walk around in a t-shirt and light jacket. Fall colors might happen in time and are an amazement considering how much green we have that changes over. If you want to do the touristy thing then skip making reservations and get into the downtown core. You can pretty much walk anywhere. Stanley park and the Sea Wall are a must. It's a long walk along the water but it's world renown. There are several beaches along the walk which are worth sitting down at and enjoying the ocean and mountain views. One of them also has views from its clothing optional choices. I would look at trying to do/see the following (google to get more info):
  • Stanley Park
  • Granville Island (arts, crafts, public market, food)
  • Grouse Mountain (do the Grouse Grind but you'll need a good hour or less if you are a good hiker. The prize is at the top)
  • Olympic Village / Science World (this is a definite must)
  • The VAG (Vancouver Art Gallery)
  • Robson Street (shopping, eatery's and lots of coffee)
All the above except for Grouse Mountain are within a comfortable walking distance for most. I'd say about an hour and a bit stroll with somewhere to stop in between. If you map Vancouver downtown you can see what i'm talking about.

If you have a car, I would also check out Capilano suspension bridge and treetop walks. Did it for the first time last summer with the kids and couldn't believe how much fun it is being outdoors. Don't do this if you are afraid of heights.

Stan

It's still very nice weather in late september. Definitely one of the nicest times to come to Vancouver as it's still warm and comfortable to walk around in a t-shirt and light jacket. Fall colors might happen in time and are an amazement considering how much green we have that changes over. If you want to do the touristy thing then skip making reservations and get into the downtown core. You can pretty much walk anywhere. Stanley park and the Sea Wall are a must. It's a long walk along the water but it's world renown. There are several beaches along the walk which are worth sitting down at and enjoying the ocean and mountain views. One of them also has views from its clothing optional choices. I would look at trying to do/see the following (google to get more info):
  • Stanley Park
  • Granville Island (arts, crafts, public market, food)
  • Grouse Mountain (do the Grouse Grind but you'll need a good hour or less if you are a good hiker. The prize is at the top)
  • Olympic Village / Science World (this is a definite must)
  • The VAG (Vancouver Art Gallery)
  • Robson Street (shopping, eatery's and lots of coffee)
All the above except for Grouse Mountain are within a comfortable walking distance for most. I'd say about an hour and a bit stroll with somewhere to stop in between. If you map Vancouver downtown you can see what i'm talking about.

If you have a car, I would also check out Capilano suspension bridge and treetop walks. Did it for the first time last summer with the kids and couldn't believe how much fun it is being outdoors. Don't do this if you are afraid of heights.

Stan
Thank you so much. I got a travel guide today to supplement your notes with. Came with a map too. I think we will try to uber/Lyft or taxi instead of getting a car if most of the essentials like dining and alike are walkable for most things. Thanks again. I will certainly keep you posted and might bend your ear for more info as the need arises.

All good suggestions above. Sadly no Uber in Vancouver yet.

Great dinner spot right on the water is Cardeo's, cool vibe a great food!

Sorry, I don't know where to ask this but here goes. My wife and I want to have our 10 year anniversary in Vancouver, Canada, can any one suggest Resturants not to miss and things to do in the area. Thanks.

You can take the Epic Rides bus from Downtown to Whistler (two hours) then go hiking Whistler BC Canada | Hiking | Tourism Whistler . . . Stay a night also.
Alternatively, you can go and do the Grouse Grind. That time of year should yield excellent views. Grouse Grind | Grouse Mountain - The Peak of Vancouver
Garibaldi Provincial Park near Whistler for hiking as well
Cypress Provincial Park has great hiking trails too.
Canada Place is nice to walk around.
Stanley Park and the seawall are fantastic especially for the old growth trees. It is a good long walk from the city centre to the park, all the way around on the seawall, and back to the city, but easily doable. Stanley Park

Food in the city . . . pub food I'd recommend Steamworks Brew Pub | STEAMWORKS BREW PUB BREWERY
Mahony and Sons Mahony & Sons
The Elephant & Castle in the old marine building Pub and Restaurant in Vancouver | Elephant & Castle
Cactus Club West Coast dining - several locations Downtown - Coal Harbour Restaurants | Cactus Club Cafe Vancouver
Joey Does anyone want to go to @JOEYRestaurants with me?
Coast Restaurant Coast | Glowbal Restaurant Group
Joe Forte's Joe Fortes | Vancouver Steak & Seafood Restaurant
Yew Restaurant in Four Seasons (premium seafood) YEW seafood + bar Vancouver
Five Sails restaurant in Pan Pacific (seafood and great views) Five Sails Restaurant
Blue Water Cafe Coast Restaurant Blue Water Cafe | Vancouver Seafood Restaurant
Hy's Seafood and Steakhouse Hy's Steakhouse & Cocktail Bar

Coffee shops:
Thierry Cafe | Thierry
Cafe Artigiano Caffè Artigiano
Mink Hot Chocolate & Coffee

Sushi in Vancouver is regarded as the best outside of Japan. Rue 999 for instance.
Italian food . . . Al Porto in Gastown Al Porto Home

I've been to Gotham . . . based on my experiences I will not ever go there again . . . ever . . . even if somebody else paid for it.

Downtown and Gastown are great for architecture and old buildings. Check out the Christ Church cathedral, Vancouver Public Library, Harbour Centre, Woodwards Building, Hotel Vancouver, Vancouver Art Gallery, MacLeod's Books in an old bank building. They still have the original vault / safe from the 1800's MacLeod's Books (Vancouver) - All You Need to Know Before You Go - TripAdvisor

There is a free shuttle from Downtown to the Capilano Suspension Bridge Vancouver Attractions | Capilano Suspension Bridge Park.

Pacific Centre Mall and Robson Street for shopping and coffee shops, and a couple of nice restaurants.

English Bay has a nice beach.

And finally, if you can make it a few minutes further, there's Fets Whisky Kitchen with hundreds to try http://www.whiskykitchen.ca/

That's about all that comes to mind immediately.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Some decent suggestions so far. I would suggest checking back closer to your trip.

Hawksworth for a nice celebratory dinner
Miku for high end sushi
Nightingale for a fun night out
Coast for top end seafood
Hys or Gotham for steak (do not go to Black and Blue. Very overrated)
Mott 32 for VERY high end Chinese

Source: I live downtown and eat most meals out

Some decent suggestions so far. I would suggest checking back closer to your trip.

Hawksworth for a nice celebratory dinner
Miku for high end sushi
Nightingale for a fun night out
Coast for top end seafood
Hys or Gotham for steak (do not go to Black and Blue. Very overrated)
Mott 32 for VERY high end Chinese

Source: I live downtown and eat most meals out
Shaun i've never heard of Hawksworth and after checking out their menu it looks like a must try. I work less than 10 minutes away so I appreciate the suggestion and can't wait to check it out in person!

Stan

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Though I would drop by and add a new restaurant I just tried. Fayuca in Yaletown. High end Mexican. Great food. Service needs a bit of refinement but it's only been a open a couple of weeks so hopefully this gets better.

Also consider Savio Volpe outside of downtown for great Italian.

Do not waste your time at Kissa Tanto regardless of what the reviews say. Even if you can get a reservation. This place flat out sucks. I even gave it a second and third chance.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are there places we should stay away from? I've worked Oakland, CA on an ambulance and we frequent San Francisco so shady places don't scare me, but I don't need to expose the wife.

"The East End".

proxy.php

North of Chinatown, stay at least one (and preferably two) blocks west of Main Street. The intersection of Hastings and Main is the epicentre of all the freaky stuff if you want to take a drive by ... but I wouldn't walk. (You may look at it and say "pfft ... not nearly as bad as what I saw in Bigcity USA" ... but it's not a fun visiting experience.)

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Avoid the downtown east side as noted above as much as possible. It's not that bad, most folks will ignore you if you ignore them. i walk through fairly often at night. when walking around it will be obvious it's not a place to hang out, but there are lots of cool restaurants, bars and neighborhoods around there so you may have to walk through. say if passing from gastown to chinatown.

but let's be honest, if you have survived the tenderloin in san fran, this is going to seem like a vacation resort.

Top Bottom