What's new

Scuttles, does anybody use them?

They look so "common sense" and like the warming aspect but do most just really just use a bowl? I am keen on good lather as that, the right angle with no pressure and short strokes seems to be a good way to reduce blood loss....

Or will the container that most soaps come in + a bowl do all that I need?

Trying hard to spend my money on things that matter first- then let dollars go where they make a difference. I have enough other hobbies that like my money, that the "acquisition" syndrome is not required on another........yet

I use a Georgetown Pottery G12 .I does a great job keeping the lather warm.It also looks good in the bathroom.Is a scuttle necessary for a good shave.No .You can face lather or use a simple bowl.
For me it is just a luxury to use warm lather.

When I bowl lather I use a scuttle. When I face lather I use a mug to soak my brush. I consider the scuttle a luxury item and not really necessary.

Welcome. Many like them, but too much for this old guy (I simply face lather and am very happy with that!)

I concur that a scuttle is a nice to have rather than a necessity. I got one when I first got into wet shaving, but have not really used it. I use a simple double walled stainless steel bowl to build a lather, - I also soak the brush prior to shaving in it with good results.

If you are just starting out would suggest using the 'savings' from not getting a scuttle to 'invest' in a good brush.

I don't use a scuttle. I have been hand lathering for 30 yrs as I only use creams not soaps. If the cream is on the harder side I lather directly in the can. This was worked fine for me.

I only recently got into DE shaving.

If I should advise on how to spend your first money I'd go with the razor first. Razors I jumped straight into, first a Merkur 34C as this was recommend by all. However that was really cutting me up so rather than bleed while I waited for my technique to improve I upgraded to the finest razor: The Feather AS-D2. That thing is a dream and really has made me love DE shaving. Then I jumped straight into vintage Gillette adjustables because they allow me to try out different degrees af aggressiveness (while still improving my technique). And because they are the coolest and most beautiful mechanical things EVER...!!!!

Another fine starter is to try out different creams/soaps - a lot of these are actually quite cheap so there it is easier to start learning if you are on a budget!

Have fun!

:jump:

Thanks Gents.

Already having fun, and I haven't even bought a DE yet (getting close though) and I haven't shaved with a DE since about 1973 or so. Lots to learn, slowly , and so much to read here!!

I have a Georgetown G20 but I don't use it very often. They're nice when you want a warm lather, but not really neasarry.

I have a scuttle that my son gave me for Christmas and I have used it every day and I enjoy it. I probably would not buy one for myself because there are too many other things I want to try.

I use my SWK scuttle everyday. Yes, even in the summertime. It's not a necessity for me, but it's become such a part of my ritual that I'd really miss it if I didn't use it. I've had it for years; to me it's been a worthwhile purchase.

After the initial "craze" of a lot of money going into this wet shaving thing (this lasted about a year for me), it's now become a pretty economical pursuit for me. Very little money goes into wet shaving for me in a year now. No need for this guy to rotate through 85 creams or soaps or 12 different razors and 18 brands of blades. Plenty of other folks are doing that!

Don

I would skip the scuttle. I toyed with the idea of getting one at one time and fashioned my own from what I had around the house before committing to buying one. Yes, the feeling of warm lather is nice but that warmth lasts mere seconds. I also found that it tended to dry out the lather. For me it was a lot of hassle and fuss for a couple of seconds of pleasure. I'm glad I spared myself from spending the money.

All you "need" is the container in which the sap comes or a simple bowl or an Old Spice mug. For many of us, this is about what we "want," i.e. multiple razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves, bowls, etc.

So, get what you need and what you want and enjoy the ride.

I have a few scuttles and rather enjoy them in cooler weather. Just something about slapping warm lather on my face. They are no more hassle to use than any other bowl, with the exception of filling them with warm water first. I see folks saying they are too much hassle, I guess if you are carrying your water from the creek, and building a fire to warm it.

I use a Woodhead Pottery scuttle. Pre-warm with water from the hot tap and leave whilst the brush soaks. Replenish with hot water and then build the lather. No hassle involved and great in winter.

I have a few scuttles and rather enjoy them in cooler weather. Just something about slapping warm lather on my face. They are no more hassle to use than any other bowl, with the exception of filling them with warm water first. I see folks saying they are too much hassle, I guess if you are carrying your water from the creek, and building a fire to warm it.

:a29:

Really, given the other "hassles" we put ourselves to, filling a scuttle with hot tap water seems negligible.

Necessary, no. But I wouldn't be without my GP G20 which, contra 2mikelz777, keeps my lather warm for the whole shave. A luxury I indulge in for every shave. (Even in the summer, mornings in Maine tend to be cool.)

If you become strictly a face-latherer, a brush scuttle will do the same thing.

Have fun!

Really, given the other "hassles" we put ourselves to, filling a scuttle with hot tap water seems negligible.

Necessary, no. But I wouldn't be without my GP G20 which, contra 2mikelz777, keeps my lather warm for the whole shave.

You misunderstand what I said. Any scuttle should be able to keep the lather warm for the duration of a shave. What I was saying is that the warmth of the lather lasts mere seconds once it's applied to the face. For me, the whole process involved in using, keeping, cleaning and storing a scuttle where space is at a premium is not worth the hassle for the feel of a couple seconds of warmth on my face when I apply the lather.

IMG_6105.jpg
I used to use a DB Bill bowl but then my son gifted me a SWK , I believe it's an XL. It holds a ton of water and always took time to use so I used it rarely but now it's the only thing I use year round as I finally figured out warm lather is so very nice.

Top Bottom