What's new

Collecting Coleman Stoves & Lanterns

OK, Some of you will remember that I restored my grandfather's 1964 Coleman stove over Labor Day weekend and posted results here.

Well, that got me to looking into Coleman stuff because it is such an iconic brand.

Of course, there are collectors clubs for Coleman stuff and plenty of resources on the internet.

Say hello to another rabbit hole!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently scored a 1940 Coleman stove on eBay that I am planning on repainting to like new. These older stoves have cast iron burners, which is very cool. My Scout troop was started in 1938, so my plan is to fix this one up and use it on a campout to show the boys the gear from the old days.

Photo here:

$417-1.jpg

$417-2.jpg

This weekend, I scored a very rare 220H lantern (apparently only 4 known to exist) with box and papers from June, 1972 on CraigsList for $30.

Photos here:

$220H-2.jpg

$220H-7.jpg

Congrats on the scores.

I guess any product line has collectible items, but I never thought I would hear that only 4 specific Coleman lanterns were made. Very cool score and that thing is in great shape!

Recently, I began to think about the Coleman lantern that my folks bought during the late 70s. Been meaning to find it in the garage and start using it in the backyard for some out of the ordinary night time lighting.

So, would you actually use this rare lantern. Can you tell if it was used before?

Hi Taz,

Apparently this was some kind of prototype or experimental run. I am just learning this Coleman stuff. The other 220H lanterns have a smooth collar or base (the metal between the fount and the globe) with a black square where the control knob is and instructions for use printed on the collar.

I won't use this one to keep it in such good shape. It has been used, but very little.

Go dig your parent's lantern up and put it to work. They are easy to work on if you are the least bit mechanically inclined and using it will rekindle a bunch of childhood memories for you, guaranteed.

Here are a couple of good links for you:

Very good information and step-by-step disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly - oldtowncoleman.com
Parts and more information - oldcolemanparts.com
International Coleman Collectors Club - intlccc.net
Terry Marsh Collecting Gallery - http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/

I just saw a Coleman lantern in the local goodwill for less than $5, then I remembered I have limited space. Quitter bummer it was the brown pump version in perfect shape; I think the 275.

About 25 years ago I went down the Coleman lantern rabbit hole. I only ended up with about 10 lanterns. Here are my nicer ones:

1) 1958 military spec lantern with original quadrant globe. This is designed to use regular gasoline as well as lantern fuel.
2) 1946 model 220C.
3) 1937 model 242B with original (?) mica globe.
4) 1950 model 200 with original pyrex brand/"sunshine of the night" globe. I don't have an heirloom razor, but I do have an heirloom lantern! This red lantern was purchased by my grandfather back in the early 1950's to take fishing with him. He gave it to my father, who took it on our family camping trips in the early to mid 1970's. My father gave it to me around 1990. That's what got me collecting other lanterns.

$IMG_0482.jpg$IMG_0484.jpg$IMG_0485.jpg$IMG_0486.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_0486.jpg
    $IMG_0486.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 115
I got bit by the Coleman bug a few years ago. Mainly after lanterns with the metal cases. After a while I sold a couple but this '73 228
is my best. Never used with the amber globe and base safe.

$IMG_20161128_190729389.jpg$IMG_20161128_190624690.jpg

Northridge Earthquake hit and we lost power. Come evening I opened my apt windows and patio door, lit 3 Coleman lanterns and made hot coffee and dinner on the two burner. Nieghbors complained I had power and they didn't. Headed over to Northridge proper in the morning to my grandmother's. Foods put up from a Depession era nieghborhood still largely intact came out of multiple garages with additional stoves and lanterns. Every conversation was ' We first made this preserves recipe in 1944 and sent some to your uncle in France'. My grandmother was the last surviving orignal resident. A development company razed everything, built apartments for people who complain when the power goes off.

Last edited:
Neil,

I forgot to compliment you on the last lantern that you showed. That is very cool and I know that you would not take any amount of money for it for the great memories that it evokes for you. Very cool heirloom and story.

$arc2.jpg

Coleman goes back farther than many of you think. A 1913-15 Coleman Arc Lantern. The first portable Coleman outdoor lantern.

Very cool. I got a dual fuel coleman lantern for christmas. Told my father in law and he whips out his 1963 Coleman. Those things are built like tanks and haven't changed much in 50 plus years which is rare to find a company anymore that thinks if it ain't broke don't fix it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have one of the dual fuel Coleman's also Pat. Got it about 10 years ago or longer. Works great.

When BSA guy put up his first Coleman stove refurbish thread I pulled out Dad's old one (Thanks for telling me how to date it BSA!!!).

I looked at Dad's old lantern and it's just a Thermos brand one that is almost like a Coleman, but has a bigger green top. Nothing like the vintage Coleman's that people have posted here.

I learned not to touch the green top on the lantern while it was burning real quick.

There were millions made, Deltaboy. Also check out Craigslist, flea markets and swap meets. Most of the guys who buy these on the Coleman Collector's Forum score them for $20 or less. eBay prices cna be high plus you have to pay shipping, but if you look around there, you can get a stove at a decent, but not great price.

For 2 burners, get the 413 models, bigger grate area than the 425's and thus easier to use 2 pots at same time.

I just got to find one of those Coleman Camp stoves at one of these local garage sale.

There were millions made, Deltaboy. Also check out Craigslist, flea markets and swap meets. Most of the guys who buy these on the Coleman Collector's Forum score them for $20 or less. eBay prices cna be high plus you have to pay shipping, but if you look around there, you can get a stove at a decent, but not great price.

For 2 burners, get the 413 models, bigger grate area than the 425's and thus easier to use 2 pots at same time.
Thanks We had an old one that my cousins got when Grandpaw passed away in 2001.

Nothing vintage but I do have 3 Coleman lanterns---bought the first in 87---the second one(a big ol one) in 95-96?---the third one(dual fuel) this week in the Walmart clearance aisle for $30----the box was open but when I checked it out all the parts were there---so I bought it.

I remember in the 60's when I was a kid, my dad had one and I thought that was just the coolest thing when we were camping and fishing.

Love em.

Last edited:
Top Bottom