IMG_20170221_185759.jpg
Oops forget the photo from Chris

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Soap/cream: Razorock Irish Countryside
Brush: Stirling 26mm Finest
Aftershave1: Thayer's witch hazel Aloe Vera
Aftershave2: Razorock Irish Countryside

Well folks first something I gotta get out of the way. Yesterday my shave with the Weck marked my 50th Straight Razor Shave. I have been forgetting to update my ticker that I keep that helps keep track of that since I fluctuate between straight, de, and se.

The Muhle was set out last night to be on deck for today's shave because we had a snow storm hitting yesterday and I wasn't sure if I would need to shovel in the morning. I woke up to 2 inches of snow but thankfully it all stayed on the grass and didn't stick to the driveway.

So the random number generator list grew yesterday... and it selected RR Irish Countryside. Now I know that I have been boosting RR lately and I will continue to say that the new formula that has Lanolin, Argan Oil, and Shea Butter; is the real deal! If you are going to buy RR soaps you need to check and make sure that it has that formula, is the Dead Sea, or is SMDF. Those particular soaps in my opinion teeter totter between tier 2 and tier 1. They are that good! I'll even include a lather shot below. Anyways the GSB and Muhle combo made short work of my growth in 2.5 passes I had a BBS and ready to attack the day, and dodge the tomatoes from the bingo game. LOL

SO the RR Irish Countryside is their interpretation of Creed GIT and I will preface I have smelled the real stuff but this particular interpretation is VERY nice. The scent strength on the soap is about a 3/5 and the aftershave has good staying power. I am 2 hours after the shave as of writing this and it is still just as strong as when I applied it.

If you are on the fence about RR I would recommend looking again grab one with the new formula the prices are very favorable and give it a shot! Maybe i'll send some samples soon as well, I just need to go buy some little containers.

On the personal side, last friday I thought was my last HS basketball game of the season. It was fitting because it was at one of the local Catholic HS here in Utah, we only have 2. I actually attended a non-catholic high school that specialized in Math, Science, and Engineering. But a lot of the middle schoolers that I coach will be attending this school I was at and they all wanted to go to the game and watch me. That was very nice! But it was not my last game of the season. The game assigner called me yesterday and begged me to take a game where he had a cancellation yesterday. I agreed and got on the court one last time.

Anyways have a good day gents. Here is the SOTD pic.
IMG_20170221_203059.jpg

And the lather shot!

IMG_20170222_054754.jpg

Ncie shave Chad...I'm going to have to revisit RR sometime in the future. I placed a small order with WCS but they didn't have either the Dead Sea or MF, so the wait continues.

The Stirling 24 mm bulb is the one I don't have. Love the look of the ivory handle!

Ncie shave Chad...I'm going to have to revisit RR sometime in the future. I placed a small order with WCS but they didn't have either the Dead Sea or MF, so the wait continues.

Josh - you may want to call Pasteur's to see if it is in stock so you can pick it up in person. *hint hint* Granted I can see you dropping some $$$ without realizing it real quick.

Another 50 straight shaves Chad, and you will be nearing the novice category:lol:. Seriously, I think that if you were to stick with it for a majority of 20 to 30 shaves, you would find that the quality and consistency of your straight shaves will start coming into their own.

Thanks Josh. A small order huh? I tell my wife all orders are small. Then I try to hide the boxes before she gets home! I am sure when you get some RR you will not be disappointed as long as it is the new formula.

The Stirling 24 mm bulb is the one I don't have. Love the look of the ivory handle!

Thanks Tom. Yes the Stirling brushes are VERY nice. And in my opinion some of the best knots on the market currently.

Another 50 straight shaves Chad, and you will be nearing the novice category:lol:. Seriously, I think that if you were to stick with it for a majority of 20 to 30 shaves, you would find that the quality and consistency of your straight shaves will start coming into their own.

Thanks Walt. Yes I am still very new to the straights but what i'm using I am really enjoying. I keep getting better and better.

Hey Chad, I know one of the things that keeps you from embracing the traditional straight is the time it takes to strop and maintain. When I first started I would strop when I got home from work or at night before bed (depending on how long I had and how long it was taking me), this allowed me to just grab and go in the morning. I have started doing that again, mostly because I am honing a few razors at night and I have freshly honed razors that don't need stropping. Just a thought for when you decide to use your traditional straight(s). Of course, if the Weck(s) and feather are making you happy why upset the flow.

Good Stuff Chad, and dont forget to give the lather pic to Georg, he collects them, LOL

Thanks Dave you are right I forgot to summon Georg. Oh @captp go up a few posts and take a look at my awesome lather shot!

Hey Chad, I know one of the things that keeps you from embracing the traditional straight is the time it takes to strop and maintain. When I first started I would strop when I got home from work or at night before bed (depending on how long I had and how long it was taking me), this allowed me to just grab and go in the morning. I have started doing that again, mostly because I am honing a few razors at night and I have freshly honed razors that don't need stropping. Just a thought for when you decide to use your traditional straight(s). Of course, if the Weck(s) and feather are making you happy why upset the flow.

Thanks Chris. And when I do grab one of the traditional straights that is exactly what I do. I was actually going to use the Genco today to see if I truly need to have it honed but I called the audible last night when it was snowing. Shaving with a straight still adds about 10 min to my routine. Where as with my DE I am done in ten! I will say though the Weck style and the Feather are just so efficient.

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Soap/cream: Envy Shave Winter Forage
Brush: Envy Shave Ute Brush
Aftershave1: Thayer's witch hazel Aloe Vera
Aftershave2: Stirling Noir

Well it was like blizzard conditions last night when I was setting out my gear, so I knew I was going to have to wake up and run the snowblower. So the Muhle got the call again today so I could guarantee I got to work on time. Cleared the snow and went on to the shave.

My number generator selected Envy Shave Winter Forage a sample that he sent me when he made my brush. This soap has been popping up more and more and I was excited to try another soap from Utah. I mean we already have Bluebell and Beehive. Both of which for me teeter totter between Tier 1 and Tier 2. They are fantastic soaps! So another Utah soap I am excited. Winter Forage however is a nice scent but not as favorite of mine. It smells like fir with cranberry and fig to me. But reading the scent description it doesn't make very clear what it actually is. The lather was exceptional! The only place I would knock it is it wasn't quite as slick as some of the top performers in my den. SV and Stirling are much more slick. But the soap was great, I think I will pay close attention and see what scents come out next, if one sparks my interest maybe i'll pick one up.

Nothing of real interest to happening at the home front, just getting ready for my grandma who lives in Montana to arrive tomorrow afternoon. She is spending the week with us and I haven't seen her in 2 years so it will be nice to catch up.

Have a good everyone!

IMG_20170222_204732-01.jpeg

Catching up - nice past couple of shaves, and congrats on #50. Great mail call from CBL - the Jeris is my personal favorite thus far.

Great shave Chad, and good to see that you found another good performing soap from your home state.

Thanks Josh and yes it is very nice that there 3 top quality artisans so close, and one them I can even buy in our local grocery store.

Catching up - nice past couple of shaves, and congrats on #50. Great mail call from CBL - the Jeris is my personal favorite thus far.

Thanks Chris. I am excited for the Jeris. It smells really nice!

Good Read Chad, your getting a blizzard and we are in the 80's, LOL

Thanks Dave. Literally on Tuesday our high was 62 and I could see people golfing from my office window, and there I sat inside working like a sucker. Mother nature is temperamental at the moment over Utah.

Top Bottom