What's new

2017 Shave Purchase Sabbatical , The Year of the Walking Dead

Well, if there had been a knot of us, we might have saved him....

speechless.gif

#20 still in. i've been very upset that I've seen two toggles go for under $200 on the bay recently. Perhaps it's just good karma and that one will soon be mine. Tempted by the Cremo Sandalwood. Please someone tell me it smells bad.

Still in at number 53. Last night I was tempted by a $130 book but when I heard myself rationalising it by saying to myself "You should buy this book; after all, you haven't spent anything since your shaving restraint began" I knew it was the voice of the tempter. Well, in my mind she's a temptress, and she looks like Katy Perry. Sometimes. Other times she looks like "Lily" from the AT&T phone store adverts. In any case, I said "Get thee behind me, Katy Perry."

Still in and trying to kill off a tub of Cella but it won't happen by end of month. Probably half way. I'll pick another soap for March

Still in and trying to kill off a tub of Cella but it won't happen by end of month. Probably half way. I'll pick another soap for March

Try killing off a brick of Cella. I've been giving it away and still have tons. Good thing I get fantastic results with it.

Hi,

Your wish is my command!

It smells B-A-D!

Stan

Truth in advertising: I have never smelled it.... ;)
Thanks! I did buy some sandalwood body soap that was on sale to quiet the sandalwood urges, then used some Haslinger sandalwood soap and captain's choice sandalwood aftershave. so, still in!

Try killing off a brick of Cella. I've been giving it away and still have tons. Good thing I get fantastic results with it.

That's actually one of the things that's kept me from buying a brick. A kilo is nearly 7 of the red tubs and for a softish soap, it really hangs in there. I really like Cella, but there are other soaps I also like as well or better and I cycle through those too. Maybe at the end of 2017 I can find someone to split a block with.

That's actually one of the things that's kept me from buying a brick. A kilo is nearly 7 of the red tubs and for a softish soap, it really hangs in there. I really like Cella, but there are other soaps I also like as well or better and I cycle through those too. Maybe at the end of 2017 I can find someone to split a block with.

The advantage of the brick though is that you can use it like you hate it...

Im late to this party, but Im in without exceptions. I have been doing it on my own, made a posting today, and a nice steward pointed me towards this nice thread.

Im late to this party, but Im in without exceptions. I have been doing it on my own, made a posting today, and a nice steward pointed me towards this nice thread.

Unfortunately, I do have to say that you are too late to join the yearly. However, if you peek around, I know that there are monthly and quarterly restraints that can keep you going until the end of the year, when you can join the next yearly.

Hi,

You can 'play from home', which means your name isn't on the list but you are still part of the discussion group as we try to keep one foot ahead of the Zombies! :)

Stan

#33 still in.

I'm pleasantly surprised that what I had hoped to get out of this sabbatical is exactly what I'm getting.
I've somehow focused more on the pleasure of each shave & BAM, I've had some amazing shaves. In my opinion(and this could all b in my head) but my shaves have been significantly better since I've stopped introducing new soaps to my rotation every other week.

Granted we're nearly two months in & I haven't repeated soaps yet, (I'll b repeating soon enough due to participating in the March Theme Shaves)but I think the enjoyment comes from some unknown place that is currently at peace rather than on the hunt for the next best thing.

Idk Just thinking out loud.

One more thing to come out of this new focus - my technique has improved significantly.

Along w slowing down to enjoy the process, I've paid more attention to the entire shave, from lathering, to razor angle & pressure. Even found a better way to get bbs on my neck(always been tough to do without irritation)

So overall I'm pretty happy I'm doing this & more so, that we're doing it together. I'm learning a lot.

#10 still in and no temptation yet.

Reducing the stock works pretty well so far. I just finished up a second soap since the start of this sabbatical.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
#66 I'm still in. My wife sent me to the health food store to pick something up. I asked if they sold shaving soap out of curiosity. They had two "artisan" soaps. One had neem in it and cost four dollars. I had a little struggle, made a mental note of it, and left.

Top Bottom