What's new

Long Range rifle suggestions

Other considerations in choosing a cartridge for long range shooting is barrel life, recoil, amount of powder burned if you are a reloader, and kinetic energy needed down range at the target. . . .

On a hot wildcat, I figure a dollar a shot for the barrel. A top shelf barrel, chambered and installed, will run you about a grand. Most of the hot wildcats (22-6mm, and 6mm-284 to name two) will pretty much roast a barrel in 1000 shots, and that is if you are really careful with them. There are various ways to deal with recoil. Barrel life is another matter entirely.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
On a hot wildcat, I figure a dollar a shot for the barrel. A top shelf barrel, chambered and installed, will run you about a grand. Most of the hot wildcats (22-6mm, and 6mm-284 to name two) will pretty much roast a barrel in 1000 shots, and that is if you are really careful with them. There are various ways to deal with recoil. Barrel life is another matter entirely.

Agreed. Even the "mild .243" if shot more than the average deer hunter shoots, will erode a barrel faster than most realize, particularly if shot a lot.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If I had the coin and a place to shoot one, I'd have a couple of "fitties". My intent is not to discourage anyone in getting any particular caliber, just to inform someone just getting into long range shooting of some of the variables to consider.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm; feel certain I could load a low-cost, low-recoil .50 BMG round ... Trail Boss and a muzzle-loader's sabot with a .45 slug. One of my cast .451s, of course. Possible a Keith-type SWC ...

AA

A retired SEAL friend of mine has a Barrett 50. Biggest issue with it was finding a scope that would hold up to it. I actually didn't think it was bad to shoot recoil wise. The back blast coming off the muzzle break to either side of you is pretty darn intense though!
Ammo cost can be nasty on the pocketbook though.

My real "long range" rifle is a Browning 1885 BPCR(black powder cartridge rifle) in 45-70. I shoot a 565 gr Postell bullet over black powder starting with a card wad over the powder, a grease wad of lubricant, then the lubricated bullet. I don't really have a place to try it at long ranges, but it's supposed to be good to at least 1000 yards. The sights are a tall rear tang sight, and a front aperture also, think Quigley Down Under type rifle. I have shot less than 1" a time or two at 100 yards with it, longest range has been about 300, but 1000 is another game. The trajectory at that range is supposed to be something like 50+feet probably about 2/3 of the way down, the bullet in more of a downward plunging motion when it strikes the target. It should take a lot more practice than I am able to put in, and really knowing your load to shoot one of these like that.

+1 for Savage. Generally shooters out of the box.

Depending on what activity you want it for you might look into the 6.5x284. One of the flattest shooting around. Their target rifles have gotten more expensive in the last 20 years since I bought my FP-110 in .308

Savage Arms

One of my friends got a Barrett last year, he went with their BORS system. Crazy sophisticated and expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

On paper, either the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem are excellent for long range paper punch or steel plates. If you want to hunt large game at distance, then something with more punch. 308 and 3006 are good all rounders but I think the 6.5 mm caliber has the edge for longer ranges and wind drift. The Ruger Precision rifle is one to look at. Course if you are shooting under 500 yards then it may not matter much. What do you consider long range?

If barrel life is a concern then 308 I think is the better choice of the rounds discussed here.

Top Bottom