Tacos v. Chili

• Tacos

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Chili

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Going by the Taco group cook off we had here, I would say it could almost be your Nations offical food not just Texas. Tacos are trending now.......

Do you have Taco cookoff like you do with Chilli. Can you put anything in a Taco? Would you get run out of town for putting beans in a taco?
Chilli has history in Texas. Does tacos have the same history in Texas?

I will hold onto my vote for now, pending more info on the subject.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, and as for Rayo's "implication" in the San Antonio newspaper that chili was imported to Texas...he either doesn't know what he's talking about...or is flat out lying.

History And Legends Of Chili, Whats Cooking America

And no Chris, there is no Taco cook-off that I've ever heard of. And yes...you can put anything in a Taco. It's called a sandwich.

Yes, tacos have a history in Texas, but the tortilla originated in Mexico...flour tortillas in northern Mexico and corn tortillas in southern Mexico.

Last edited:
Going by the Taco group cook off we had here, I would say it could almost be your Nations offical food not just Texas. Tacos are trending now.......

Do you have Taco cookoff like you do with Chilli. Can you put anything in a Taco? Would you get run out of town for putting beans in a taco?

Mmmmmm.......bean tacos!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Yes, I think tacos are as invested in Texas history as Chili. This used to be Mexico at one point. I can't imagine a Texan giving up either

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Although I love both, and I am a native Texan whose property line was at one time the southern border of Texas, they should leave things like this alone.

Next those danged Austin hippies will be wanting to change the state bird from the mockingbird to the Eurasian Collared dove.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I like frijoles with my chili, Aaron...read that WITH not IN.

In Rayo's statement I inferred that he may be indicating that chili was not original to Texas. His argument that tacos were here before Texas was Texas is correct. But...tacos are not unique to Texas like chili is. Tacos apparently originated in central Mexico, in the region where Mexico City is currently located.

Tortilla and Taco History, Whats Cooking America

I live in NC, so no dog in this fight, although our son does live in Houston. Gotta go with chili. When do you ever see cowboys eating tacos in oaters?

Tough call! :confused1

Love my chili, love my tacos. Hmm...

I live in San Antonio. There is a majority Hispanic populous and there are taquerias everywhere. There might be 1,000 places to get a good taco in this city. Breakfast tacos are the big thing, and it's every few days I'll stop off on the way to work and grab some.

But then, I love to slow cook a pot of chili. Big chunks of beef, and as spicy as I can stand it. Take it out back next to the fire pit and enjoy it. Of course, that works best in cold weather, which there isn't a whole lot of here.

I suppose ultimately, the tacos are more commonly consumed and more readily available. However, I see no reason to mess with Tradition - Don't Mess With Texas - Chili is the official state food and I say let's just go on an leave that be! :cowboy:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Tacos are the official food of the other 49 states, so Texas should get to keep its chili.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yes, I dearly love tacos...both Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican...and even in this small town there are several taquerias, and Mexican restaurants that serve both Tex-Mex or authentic so you can choose what you want.

But tortillas and tacos are Mexican (or Aztec/Mayan before the Spanish came over), and chili is Texas.

Dang i need to get back to Mexico, but not the border towns such as Piedras Negras or Nuevo Laredo like 25 years ago...too much conflict going on now. Not even gonna think about Juarez. Durn it...it's been a bit over 10 years since I've been to a border town in the Valley area.

I know exactly where I'm going...the Yucatan where I have some friends and it's not in that much turmoil.

Now I'm going to have to pull out the tortilla press...or a rolling pin or pie pan, and make some flour tortillas, saute some sliced onion and maybe some bell pepper, and then cast iron skillet grill some sliced flank steak. Then drizzle some lime juice on it when it's all bedded on the tortilla. Nice sandwich.

I've also been missing the taste of fish empanadas made from fresh fish caught out of the waters of the Caribbean.

Maybe I should pick up some crispy Old El Paso taco shells, make some hamburger meat filling with the packaged taco seasoning, then load it up with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese, jarred salsa, and maybe a few jarred jalapeno slices to be authentic Norte Americano.

Not.

Then make a nice pot of chili.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Up here on the northern border of this great country nothing beats a steaming hot pot of chili while ice fishing. I love a good taco, but, chili is king when the snow is falling.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've always wanted to try ice fishing, but I'm afraid I'd get cold.

Are those wood stove chimneys I see coming out of the ice fishing houses?

That may make things more tolerable.

Top Bottom