What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

I've been all Fatboy and the same Feather for February. The Feather is doing very well at 17 head shaves plus beard line cleanups. I was worried a feather wouldn't make it a month, but now I think it will do it.

For quite some time I continued to use carts for head shaves because I couldn't get close enough with DEs no matter the number of passes. However, got a Rockwell 6s at the end of December. Slap #4 plate on with a Personna Lab Blue and...presto! BBS in two passes. Been my best purchase do date.

For quite some time I continued to use carts for head shaves because I couldn't get close enough with DEs no matter the number of passes. However, got a Rockwell 6s at the end of December. Slap #4 plate on with a Personna Lab Blue and...presto! BBS in two passes. Been my best purchase do date.
Awesome... [emoji106]

Many razors will get the job done, glad you found one that works for you!

my 4th shave with the Muhle R41. I'm still not sure this is the razor for me. It's aggressive and did a fantastic job of removing the hair from my noggin, but I just don't get that comfortable feel, no matter what blade I'm using. I'm going to keep trying blades. I've used Israeli Personna, German Wilkies and Durablade (which I don't think I'll be using again).

I started shaving my head a couple of weeks ago, bought a Muhle R89 and Dapper Dan Deluxe aftershave and shaving cream. All in all it's good, still have a bit of problem with technique and it seems like Muhle blades try to rip them from my head, the Feather blades are alot better but still have to do alot of passes. WTG seems to do nothing at all, XTG takes away a little but ATG seems to be the only way to get a BBS (I assume t his is short for a good shave, the wiki was down so couldn't check).

I have now ordered a Merkur 34c HD and some blade samples and gonna try a bit of different stuff. I am not very pleased with the end result since my head sometimes is very irritated after a shave. I got some Shark, Supermax Blue Diamond, Blue Personna Diamond, Astra SP platinum, Gilette 7o clock black, Perma Sharp Super. Not sure what blade I will try first. I would like to get something that is sharp but not as unforgiving as the Feather and not as bad as Muhle.
But I will try the R89 with some blades anyways since the Merkur will not arrive until next week. Also bought Poraso green and poraso preshave.

Also I bought a Tech Set from 1948 that hasn't been used yet with plastic case and NOS blades. But I think that one will stay unused since it's more of a fun thing.

I started shaving my head a couple of weeks ago, bought a Muhle R89 and Dapper Dan Deluxe aftershave and shaving cream. All in all it's good, still have a bit of problem with technique and it seems like Muhle blades try to rip them from my head, the Feather blades are alot better but still have to do alot of passes. WTG seems to do nothing at all, XTG takes away a little but ATG seems to be the only way to get a BBS (I assume t his is short for a good shave, the wiki was down so couldn't check).

I have now ordered a Merkur 34c HD and some blade samples and gonna try a bit of different stuff. I am not very pleased with the end result since my head sometimes is very irritated after a shave. I got some Shark, Supermax Blue Diamond, Blue Personna Diamond, Astra SP platinum, Gilette 7o clock black, Perma Sharp Super. Not sure what blade I will try first. I would like to get something that is sharp but not as unforgiving as the Feather and not as bad as Muhle.
But I will try the R89 with some blades anyways since the Merkur will not arrive until next week. Also bought Poraso green and poraso preshave.

Also I bought a Tech Set from 1948 that hasn't been used yet with plastic case and NOS blades. But I think that one will stay unused since it's more of a fun thing.
Welcome to the chrome dome section of the forum! :thumbup1:

I sounds to me like you don't have the angle quite right yet. I've never used either razor you have, but have hard good things about both and think either would be a fine razor. Just stick with one razor and blade choice for now, I love Astra SP. The Tech would be a great razor, but if It's truly NOS I would keep it that way. Anyway start with the cap against your skin and slowly tilt the blade towards the skin unti you feel it start to cut that is the angle you want. Just keep practicing, you'll get it. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the chrome dome section of the forum! :thumbup1:

I sounds to me like you don't have the angle quite right yet. I've never used either razor you have, but have hard good things about both and think either would be a fine razor. Just stick with one razor and blade choice for now, I love Astra SP. The Tech would be a great razor, but if It's truly NOS I would keep it that way. Anyway start with the cap against your skin and slowly tilt the blade towards the skin unti you feel it start to cut that is the angle you want. Just keep practicing, you'll get it. :thumbsup:

I will keep on trying, since I do enjoy it. The problem is that I have to do alot of passes (XTG, ATG and after that I have roughly 30ish % left) and I think that is what mainly causes the irritation and then I try and compensate and tilt it to much (I think that ends in weird angles). Even if I get it to cut it seems like it wants to jump/skip even with a Feather. But then again, I can always just buy the R41 head later after I have tried a bit more with the r89/34HD.

Thank you for the welcome.

I've never tried the R41, but hear they are more aggressive than a Fatip Piccolo. I love my Piccolo, but would not recommend for a beginner. Sometimes it's easier to find the angle when you stop thinking about it and just go by feel, let the blade tell you where it needs to be. Also be sure to have a good lather, slick is more important than fluffy and pretty.

I will keep on trying, since I do enjoy it. The problem is that I have to do alot of passes (XTG, ATG and after that I have roughly 30ish % left) and I think that is what mainly causes the irritation a....

One of the things to watch out for is to ensure that you "clear" your razor of hair often by rinsing. I've never shaved with the Merkur (I only have the 37C), but I know from experience that can be an issue. If there is too much hair caught in the blade, it can slide rather than cut.

Your mileage will of course vary, but I can mow down a weeks growth to DFS my head with two ATG passes with the 37C and a Gillette Silver Blue. As mentioned, I work towards a slick lather, and I shave in the shower, so plenty of water for rinsing.

One of the things to watch out for is to ensure that you "clear" your razor of hair often by rinsing. I've never shaved with the Merkur (I only have the 37C), but I know from experience that can be an issue. If there is too much hair caught in the blade, it can slide rather than cut.

Your mileage will of course vary, but I can mow down a weeks growth to DFS my head with two ATG passes with the 37C and a Gillette Silver Blue. As mentioned, I work towards a slick lather, and I shave in the shower, so plenty of water for rinsing.

I do a few strokes and then rinse it, but I will just keep on practicising. :) Still undecided if I should try and switch from the HD to the r41 on my order, not even sure if they let me change. Thanks for your tip, I will keep a closer eye so I don't clog it. Btw, I guess you are finnish because of your username (swedish speaking finn by your real name)?

I will keep on trying, since I do enjoy it. The problem is that I have to do alot of passes (XTG, ATG and after that I have roughly 30ish % left) and I think that is what mainly causes the irritation and then I try and compensate and tilt it to much (I think that ends in weird angles). Even if I get it to cut it seems like it wants to jump/skip even with a Feather. But then again, I can always just buy the R41 head later after I have tried a bit more with the r89/34HD.

Thank you for the welcome.
While I only apply lather twice, the amount of strokes it take equals about 4 passes with a fresh blade. I shave WTG and ATG.

Today's shave with 20 face and head shaves on the blade, it was probably the equivalent to 10 passes. I get a BBS shave everyday face and head.

It's about hair reduction. With a more aggressive razor and fresh blade, I would still have to go over areas more then once in both directions to get a BBS shave, only I'm likely to get irritation or blood loss than with a milder razor.

Prep, lather and technique are all important to achieve a good shave with little or no irritation.

Patients and practice will get you there. The WTG pass reduces your stubble to make the ATG pass easier.

You want a slick lather and work into your hair real good.

The Postwar Tech is one of my best razors for head shaving.

Update:
Start thinking if I should have gotten a Muhle R41 instead of the Merkur 34c HD...
Are you pretty experienced with the DE on the face, but just now moving to using it for head shaving, or are you just starting with the DE. The answer could change the advice we try to give.

Are you pretty experienced with the DE on the face, but just now moving to using it for head shaving, or are you just starting with the DE. The answer could change the advice we try to give.

Forgot to write that I have no other experience than a few weeks of headshaving. My beard is not going anywhere :) I have gotten a few pointers and will soon take a shower and go for r89 + astra sp shave and really focus on the angle.

Forgot to write that I have no other experience than a few weeks of headshaving. My beard is not going anywhere :) I have gotten a few pointers and will soon take a shower and go for r89 + astra sp shave and really focus on the angle.
In that case, I would say stick with the R89 for another couple of weeks at least before changing anything up. Changing variables too frequently and too quickly increases the learning curve. Blade samplers are fine, but I would try each blade for a shave or two, take some notes, pick the one you like best and buy enough for a few months' worth.

Amazing shave this morning, despite a tiny weeper where I remove the top of a scar.

Flare Tip Super Speed (A1, heirloom)
Voskhod (first shave)
Beaumont Silvertip
Speick
Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails

Awesome... [emoji106]

Many razors will get the job done, glad you found one that works for you!

Fun to read how varied and effective our tools are, even within our own shave dens.

Update:
Start thinking if I should have gotten a Muhle R41 instead of the Merkur 34c HD...
In my experience I've had much more comfortable shaves with the 34c than the R41. Both get the job done admirably, but the 34C is less irritating during the shave. Just my opinion of course.

Top Bottom