What's new

Best in Class

Straight razors come in more than a few configurations. Among them are custom/bespoke, semi-custom, production...
then REALLY mass production and sad replicas of a razor.
Sad replicas need not even be discussed; they are a waste of time and energy. Best left in the eBay wasteland.
REALLY mass production razors like Gold Dollars can have some merit I guess. They are just not worth my effort to trifle with, much too uninspiring.
So, which of the products in each aforementioned categories of razor do y'all think rate best and runners up in class? In alphabetical order I will say I think the best custom/semi custom razor guys out there today are:
Brian Brown
Jerry Stark
Robert Williams
Tim Zowada

Also in alphabetical order:
Best Production:
Ralf Aust...period

Also Ran Production:
Boker
Dovo
Thiers-Issard

What think you all? I know there are plenty others out there. These are the only win-place-show-honorable mention razors with which I have first hand experience.

Others I have owned or currently own include Hart Steel, Blades Grim, Henckels, Kleeblatt, Wade & Butcher, Gold Dollar, and a couple others whose names escape me.

Oh..the absolute WORST was a Double Arrow. Work of Satan!!!

All the custom razors you mention are made in the USA and thus unattainable for me being European. I don't have a Koorat, but I guess it would make it into the top of the custom list.
When it comes to low volume production there are two that stand out in my book:
Aust and Thiers Issard. I'd say that they both generally hold higher quality than Revisor and Wacker (I love my Wacker Chevalier).
Among large production razors I find it rather easy to pick the best: Böker.

These lists are always tough. Even though I own a couple razors made by the makers you've called out, I only own one, making it hard to come to any sort of conclusion. Do I like my Maker A razor better than the Maker B blade? Some days, but the Maker B blade is closer in shape and size to my "ideal" razor. My favorite razor is a $35 eBay junker production blade that I like better than either.

On the other hand, and at the risk of offending (which these lists always risk), one of the makers you identify as a fav and who is well-regarded around here hasn't made a single blade I would consider owning.

To each his own . . . .

Legion

Staff member
There are too many vintage razors for me to try, I don't have time for the modern stuff, except a few Chinese ones to grind away at, just for fun.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I would have to say that my Portland Razor Company Leviathan in buckeye burl is my best looking, best made razor. Hard steel. Perfect bevel.

High volume production razors, Puma.

As for customs.... Joe Edson, Kenny Powell, Elli's Blades, Jacob Ray, Drew Dick, Jenes .... are a few more to add to the list just off the top of my head that are on par with that list ....some maybe even better in the given media of choice. There are others, some whom i cant think of their names, that are from the knife specialty world that have made some amazing bladed as well but because they are mainly knife makers they are not seen here very often if at all.

Some may argue that the best production blade out there might just be an Iwasaki or a Tanifuji...but thats the beauty of this hobby...what one person thinks is best may be anothers worst.

I own pretty much one of everything on your list and more... i can say that my list would be very different.....lol.

To many variables to have a list. The only true list is the one each of use has in our head.
There are some that are always going to be directed by price either high or low...
Or one example that they have seen (either good or bad)
Other's that have no interest in moderns.

IMHO, there really isn't that much difference with the majority of razors..
Be it modern hollow grinds vs. vintage. Or modern 1/4 hollows to most peoples beloved Sheffield steel.
No doubt there are some junkers and a handful for really crappy dealers/vendors.. but I feel that with the majority of razors it's going to come down to individual taste.

To many variables to have a list. The only true list is the one each of use has in our head.
There are some that are always going to be directed by price either high or low...
Or one example that they have seen (either good or bad)
Other's that have no interest in moderns.

IMHO, there really isn't that much difference with the majority of razors..
Be it modern hollow grinds vs. vintage. Or modern 1/4 hollows to most peoples beloved Sheffield steel.
No doubt there are some junkers and a handful for really crappy dealers/vendors.. but I feel that with the majority of razors it's going to come down to individual taste.

Hear, hear.....well said Sir!!

"No doubt there are some junkers and a handful for really crappy dealers/vendors.. but I feel that with the majority of razors it's going to come down to individual taste."

Of that there is no question. Always interesting though to see where other folks preferences run. I had a fine example of the highly respected Wade & Butcher species...wedge grind.
I did not care for that razor at all. Even after a spendy professional honing, it did not fly for me. Today someone, somewhere cherishes it.
Don't like barber notch blades either. Some folks adore them. Therein is the joy of it all; so many choices...something for everyone. Let's not even think about the brush side of all this!,

I don't have any experience with customs, so I have no opinions there. I think as far as mass produced, my favorite is Boker. My vintage and new Boker razors seem to be my favorites based on the shave I get. Which reminds me, I need to hone my Boker! I think my next production purchase will either be a PRC or Ralf Aust. I am leaning more towards PRC, because I want to try out the grinds on them. I think they are a little cheaper for the size and style I want as well. I always wanted to try out a TI as well. Maybe some day I will pick one of those up too.

Top Bottom