What's new

EIGHTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2017 Edition

Twentieth Shave of February

Blade: Polsilver SI (20) :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
upload_2017-2-21_0-54-46.png

This magical Polsilver SI is continuing on its second "sharper and smoother" phase. This is still a whole new experience for me, but then it's probably the most attention I've ever paid to a blade.

Yet another fabulous BBS shave, yay! :biggrin1:

Day/Shave 20

Blade- Shark Super Chrome Razor (this was it's last shave after 20 shaves. I'll start a new one tomorrow.)
Razor- Gillette Aristocrat
Brush- 24mm TGN Finest Banded Badger set into homemade handle
Soap- Homemade shaving soap
Aftershave- Lucky Tiger
tmp_17338-20170220_200817-428020314.jpg

Gillette Old Type, single ring
Gillette Platinum-Plus (21)
Vie-Long horse hair brush
KMF/ Arko soap, face lathered
Master Well Comb Topaz aftershave

Well, there you have it. Three weeks of shaves. Today's was close, with mild alum sting but no visible irritation. If the Gillette is going to see the end of the month, though, it will be in a different razor.

Shave 21 completed with the Feather #21+ Merkur HD combination and I am astounded how well the bladed is still performing. Completing February on the same blade will be a breeze.:001_smile

Shave 20 and still rocking the same Jing Jili Diamond blade. It's definitely faded in efficiency; I could still feel quite a bit of stubble after two passes (WTG/XTG), but the 3rd pass (ATG) cleaned it up nicely. Minor, inconsequential really, irritation, but not nothing. It's probably down to some mild tugging. Today I put it in an English Ball-End Tech and lathered up with TOBS Sandalwood. It's not killing me, so I'll push on with it.

February 21
Shave 21
Gillette NEW RFB.
Gillette Platinum-Plus (Brazil).
It looks like I have three razors that will still deliver comfortable shaves with this blade: the Barbasol non-FH, the Gillette Aristocrat # 16, and the RFB I used today. I'm sure there are others, but I don't feel like pushing my luck right now.

It looks like I have three razors that will still deliver comfortable shaves with this blade: the Barbasol non-FH, the Gillette Aristocrat # 16, and the RFB I used today. I'm sure there are others, but I don't feel like pushing my luck right now.
Wise move, no need to experiment.
IME any of the 3rd and 4th generation of British Aristocrats might work and certainly the old type. I am presently on a #22 Aristo and will be moving the Shark SS blade to an old type for the rest of the month after our 4 day mini holiday in Prague this week.

Day 21 - I'm getting a lot more feedback on my face from the blade, but still no irritation or burn. The Fatip is giving me good, close shaves.

I thought I felt the slightest bit of tugging, but it was when I was going around my chin, where the angles get a little hard to keep consistent. It was smooth everywhere else.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Twenty-first Shave of February

Blade: Polsilver SI (21) :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
upload_2017-2-21_22-3-22.png

Yet another fabulous BBS shave! :biggrin1: This magical Polsilver SI continues on its second "sharper and smoother" phase.

After a long time I’ve started to re-read the complete Excalibur Club thread. Something that stuck in my mind today, and to paraphrase my shaving hero @bosseb Bosse in one of his earlier Excalibur Club posts, was:

“Increasing your blade life has a lot to do with being totally aware while shaving. Be gently but completely aware of your shave, not the gear you’re using.”

This can be a difficult task for many (probably most, including me) — coming out of the dream world that most of us live in (i.e. being in the past or future) and spending time in the present moment (like little children do naturally before we train them out of it).

Feather shave 20, NEW Short Comb. Still going strong in the SC. Quite a bit of tugging, but gets the job done. Almost BBS with a little left over stubble on the neck.

Day 21/Shave 1 on new blade

Blade- Shark Super Chrome
Razor- Asylum Evolution
Brush- 24mm Vigshaving Finest Banded Badger set into homemade
Soap- Homemade shaving soap
Aftershave- Florida Water
tmp_6347-20170221_173856-65558557.jpg

Top Bottom