What's new

Howdy from Portland Oregon

Have decided a couple of weeks ago when I saw my old Mach # or Quatro or what ever it is, has begun to disintegrate. Instead of buying another and feeding it cartridges- I have been exploring new shaving options. Straight razors are a step too far (at least for now), but a return to safety razors (which are what I tried to use as I tried to grow facial hair back in 1970) is funnily ironic. Obviously too bad the Gillette's that have run away from their original price points.

For no reason other that I like to hunt around on Craigs List / Ebay / Etsy/ antique stores/ Goodwill- I think I may start off with the unoriginal newby choice - The Fatboy.

If it doesn't work for me - I can sell it and try others. I did locate a very pristine one a few blocks away for $45 laying in the back of an antique case. I will let it sit and see what else I can search out. I do like to find a good deal. Having fun absorbing the Smithsonian- amount of info here on gear and technique.

Cheers

Welcome to B&B, Greg. The Fat Boy was the first razor I bought when I started shaving when I was a teenager.

Hello and welcome, Greg. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to B&B, Greg. You might want to grab that Fat Boy while you can. Excellent razor that is enjoying great popularity now. Enjoy!

For no reason other that I like to hunt around on Craigs List / Ebay / Etsy/ antique stores/ Goodwill- I think I may start off with the unoriginal newby choice - The Fatboy.

If it doesn't work for me - I can sell it and try others. I did locate a very pristine one a few blocks away for $45 laying in the back of an antique case. I will let it sit and see what else I can search out. I do like to find a good deal. Having fun absorbing the Smithsonian- amount of info here on gear and technique.
Cheers

Welcome to B&B Meaux. The Fatboy is an excellent choice, I use my 1961 Fatboy most days. The Slim is also an excellent choice for an adjustable razor. If you are looking for something simple yet supremely functional, you cannot go wrong with a vintage Gillette Tech. I use a triangle slot, Gold Fat Handle Tech as my travel razor, but it was my go to razor for awhile. The Fatboy near you may be your best bet, especially if it is in pristine condition even without a case. Being able to personally check all its functions is a real benefit over online auction sites. You can also check the Buy-Sell-Trade forum: Buy- Sell- Trade

There are many knowledgeable members here who can assist and answer questions as they arise.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Welcome to B&B! We have several members from Portland and it is always nice to see another join the ranks.
Two of our more famous Portlandians are Din Johnson of Ristretto Roasters and Josh Meyer perfumer at Imaginary Authors. Now if we could just get the guy at Voodoo Donuts!

Again, the courtesy is front and center. Thank you all for the warm welcome. Yes , I was pleased to find the Fatboy a 6 minute walk from home - the $45 sticker - not unreasonable, but hoped for, I don't know, maybe $37.50 or so.

:shaving:

So glad to know there is a shaving emoji....

I will probably wander over and get on with it in a day or so. Making all sorts of small decisions, shave soap, some blades(West Coast shave?- maybe an assortment), a starter brush ( a Perfecto or peer) which bowl from the kitchen for now, AS or ASB (I got that right didn't I? ASBalm?)

Regarding the Fatboy, in antique stores it is never unreasonable to make an offer, which is what I would do. The worst they will say is no. I have yet to pay full price at an antique store, even if it was inky 10% off.

Tryablade sampler pack is also a great place to start and yes you got the acronyms correct...I am still working on that.

Top Bottom