What's new

Mustache Cup Anyone?

So do any of my mustachioed brothers use a mustache cup? I found this one at an antique mall for a couple bucks and thought why not. There are no maker markings but while researching online it appears to be in a similar style as the blue onion pattern from Vienna Woods.

$uploadfromtaptalk1431205765638.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
I've been tempted many times, but not so far. I've seen that cup quite frequently over the last several years in my various antique forays. Often labeled as a shaving mug, with a beat up brush stuffed in it!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
With great mustache comes great responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a new one from etsy- I love it and it does help keep the wax from melting!

The only bug with the new one I found- was the piece across the top was flush with the rim and did not leave room for my stach.

I could see how the shelf being flush would create problems. I will give this one a try with my morning coffee when I get my mustache set.

I saw some of these for the first time just two weeks ago in an antique mall, Harve de Grace, Maryland. There were 3 or 4 of them. And surprisingly, they seemed pretty girly to me. :D

But, if I drank tea (other than my daily Starbucks chai latte), I would have bought one.

strop

Now half as wise
And surprisingly, they seemed pretty girly to me. :D

I have my great grandfather's mustache cup. It is fine china with a floral motif. (It's at my parents house or I'd take a picture). I thought the same thing, until my grandmother pointed out that at the time, late 1800's, that this was one of the nicer things in life, and was not considered feminine at all.

I see these at antique shops all the time, but I don't have room to start another collection, and they are usually more than I want to spend. Here is the one I just couldn't resist though.
DSCF9990.JPG
DSCF9991.JPG
[/ATTACH]
DSCF9992.JPG

strop

Now half as wise
That's a very nice example. They really do work as advertised! I usually see the plainer versions with an old shaving brush shoved into them, and labeled as shaving mugs!:lol:

Troy, that is a beautiful cup... congrats.
I've been tempted to get one myself lately.. I'm tired of making a mess of the mustache and dribbling coffee on my shirt after I drink.
However, the ones I've seen on Fleabay are overpriced (and I don't need another shaving brush stuffed in it :001_302:) so unless something drops in my lap, I'll continue to use my Old Spice heavy duty cup.....

I have been tempted to start collecting mustache cups. I have one, but it is only for display. The ones I see in antique stores tend to be quite ornate or garish, so most don't suit my taste. And they tend to be expensive. I have seen some modern ones around. I have just learned to sip my hot drinks carefully and I always have a napkin handy.

The Vienna Woods, blue onion pattern mug ( do they have any other patterns?) is a very serviceable mug to have a hot beverage in. I have picked up several since my original post above and am very pleased with them.

I saw some of these for the first time just two weeks ago in an antique mall, Harve de Grace, Maryland. There were 3 or 4 of them. And surprisingly, they seemed pretty girly to me. :D

But, if I drank tea (other than my daily Starbucks chai latte), I would have bought one.

Mustache cups were all the vogue in the Victorian era. Floral motifs were all the rage, even with men. Times change.

Top Bottom