The Sprout-2017

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here's the area I was thinking. Between the driveway, carport and shed

IMG_4069.JPG

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
You can see for miles and miles and miles.

Should be a nice project Lots of Moo Poo, peat moss, compost?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
All of that. And rocks. Lots of rocks. I dug up about a giant one earlier!

The couple across the street have cows. They we can have a manure.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
All of that. And rocks. Lots of rocks. I dug up about a giant one earlier!

The couple across the street have cows. They we can have a manure.

Be careful with manure. It needs to sit out for at least a year. If not it will burn your crop. That being said, I wish I had a neighbor full of manure...wait they are. :biggrin1:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Moo Poo is a brand of composted manure we have in my area. Really not much smell, a bit when it rains. Killer good boost for the gardens though.

Box of seed from one supplier arrived this week. Have lots of saved seeds so only need to replace things i'm out of and get a few new things to try. The Bloody Butcher seeds haven't been available for a few years. Was always our first tomato to ripen and then produces all season. A few new ones, to me, developed by Wild Boar Farms and others that looked interesting.

Tomatoes last year were brutal. Only the early ones produced much. Got extremely hot and stayed that way about the time the late season tomatoes set fruit so flowers just dropped from the plants. Most years get upwards of 40 jars of tomato chunks and tomato sauce from twelve Amish Paste plants, last year not a jar.

Garlic i've been growing on for over twenty years, cloves/bulbs, here and there were yellowy/waxy/mushy. From what i've read not a disease, not bugs but due to extreme heat, basically roasted garlic. Never had that happen before.

A few more seeds to get and seed starting supplies from Dam Seeds who are close-by.

Lots of weeks before i even start thinking about starting seeds indoors.

William Dam Seeds - William Dam Seeds

dave

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
We didn't think the pasture would be good for the garden. So many rocks and biiig rocks. But turns out it seems just fine! So we are doing about 4 small gardens. We figure it will be more manageable than one GIANT garden.

IMG_4087.JPG

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Big storm came through last night. 70 mile per hour winds. I brought in most potted plants, peppers and dwarf tomatoes. The tomatillo's took a hit. 2 damaged out of 3 plants. Had to cut off a few limbs.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Dadgum! Glad everything else survived, including yourself!

4 "small gardens" turned in to 7 "small gardens"
3 more behind me.

Need to till them up once more, rake out as much grass as we can. Then we can plant!.

Any tips for keeping animals out? So far we've seen rabbits and deer. That's pretty much the end of the garden if we don't put out some type of deterrent.

1.JPG

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

3 more behind me.

Need to till them up once more, rake out as much grass as we can. Then we can plant!.

Any tips for keeping animals out? So far we've seen rabbits and deer. That's pretty much the end of the garden if we don't put out some type of deterrent.

View attachment 763170
Scatter some human hair around the parameter of the garden. That beard ought to be enough. :biggrin:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ha! I got enough of it!

Are you serious tho? About the human hair? I mean...it kinda makes sense.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ha! I got enough of it!

Are you serious tho? About the human hair? I mean...it kinda makes sense.

As an experiment we could have B&B send you human stubble from their shaves.

Seriously, human hair does work as well as bar soap. Herbs work well, especially mint and rosemary.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Bar soap? Just grate it up around the garden?

I could plant some mint and rosemary around the garden, sprinkle some hair, and take a bath out there.

That should do the trick.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I can't help with any passive solutions for your problem Jason but if it was me I would be filling my freezer with venision and rabbit. Take one deer, feild dress on the spot and that may make any other deer cautious.
I've used blood and bone but find my dogs want to dig up the soil after I apply it. Blood and bone, go figure. :)
The only things to that attack my garden are birds, my dogs and the wife.....err.
The dogs would wait for the strawberries to get ripe and help themselfs. Pull the carrots out of the ground. Ripe tomatoes, you get the idea. A fench fixed that.
Now for the birds and the wife, I just planted enough to share.
Speaking of the wife, half a bowl of tomatoes went with her to work. All good. She rang me today to tell me how well my pepper plant were doing and she does not even like chilli that much.

Bar soap? Just grate it up around the garden?

That should do the trick.

Finally a use for that stick of Arko, wait a minute, then i wouldn't go out there either...

Our rabbit lives in the house but still manages to get all the best stuff.

I use this deer 'fencing' to protect raised beds from rabbits, cats, squirrels and the like, the deer don't stray beyond the street behind us. Doesn't require much in the way of support in the way i'm using it, to protect what you've got would require posts of some sort.

Deer Fence - Lee Valley Tools

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

3 more behind me.

I want one of these:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The Roma tomatoes are last to rippen up.

20170223_193916.jpg

Time to pick another load. Looks like we may be in for a nice weeked, gazpacho may be order or the day.

20170223_194205.jpg

I think I planted the pepper plants too close together. Poor little habanero is getting stood over.

20170223_194149.jpg

The poblanos are slowly getting bigger.

20170223_194306.jpg

Top Bottom