What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Nice one!!! Shave report required Sir.

Coming soon I hope! It seems to have had very little use and there is no hone wear so fingers crossed for a "result"!

Very cool stuff guys! And a great story behind that razor @Cambouis!

Thanks

Very nice razor Cambouis, Ivory clad and most likely from a Sheffield maker. Which one is anybody's guess, comparing similar razors would be the best idea to work out the maker.
I nearly bid on this razor, luckily I didn't run the price up for you :001_smile

I have so many razors - it's mad - but I haven't one the same as this. And anyway there are so many manufatcures whose products have not (fortunately) passed through my hands! I am greatful for your resisting bidding of course!

Best wishes

C.

I know about the collecting addiction Cambouis ! I have a razor or 2 incoming most weeks :001_rolle
Searching out photo's is more what I was suggesting to find a possible maker for your razor.

Even more typos than razors! Sorry - I can spell, honestly.

I shall take your tip and look out, but it's so difficult as many makers made a variety of shapes. My particular favourite is the "dreadnought" - or what I call a "mini-dreadnought"!

All the best.
C

In the later 1800's Sweden was a country in the northern outskirts of Europe. It had once been a wealthy empire but had continually been mutilated and drained during hundreds of years of wars against the steadily growing might of the Russian tsars. The later 1800's was an all time low when a quarter of the population, mostly young people, emigrated to the USA in the hope of a better life. Then the industrial revolution made the previously dormant country change. Its industrial capacity and technical skills became world leading in many fields, among them straight razor production. Even so during in the 1880's Swedish men of means still bought their straight razors from Solingen. These older Solingen razors once in awhile turn up on Swedish auction sites. Most often they are just remnants of what they once was and thus of no interest, but occasionally a gem emerges among the unsalvageable junk. I don't buy many razors these days but when this turned up I just had to have it. It was dirty and a bit rusty, but still in good condition.
2017-02-19 10.12.49.jpg
2017-02-19 10.14.21.jpg
2017-02-19 10.15.06.jpg
2017-02-19 10.18.28.jpg

In the later 1800's Sweden was a country in the northern outskirts of Europe. It had once been a wealthy empire but had continually been mutilated and drained during hundreds of years of wars against the steadily growing might of the Russian tsars. The later 1800's was an all time low when a quarter of the population, mostly young people, emigrated to the USA in the hope of a better life. Then the industrial revolution made the previously dormant country change. Its industrial capacity and technical skills became world leading in many fields, among them straight razor production. Even so during in the 1880's Swedish men of means still bought their straight razors from Solingen. These older Solingen razors once in awhile turn up on Swedish auction sites. Most often they are just remnants of what they once was and thus of no interest, but occasionally a gem emerges among the unsalvageable junk. I don't buy many razors these days but when this turned up I just had to have it. It was dirty and a bit rusty, but still in good condition.View attachment 762779 View attachment 762780 View attachment 762781 View attachment 762783
Beautiful razor. What are the scales made of?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Very nice razor! I would have bought it too, no telling where it would have ended up.

Cheers, Steve

How do you keep the scales from out-gassing and ruining the steel?

As @Legion writes it doesn't happen very often. Celluloid is used as scale material for new razors even today. I have several razors with celluloid scales. Since this one hadn't gone bad in the last 130 years I figured I'd dare taking the risk.

Thank you
Very Nice Arne!
Thank you Dave. I must admit that I'm very happy to finally having found one in good enough condition. I'll never be the owner of a collection like Antoine's, but I'm not too far from having a rather nice collection of Swedish straight razor history.

Top Bottom