What's new

What are your brushes?

I have two, both cheap pure badger brushes.

I just started doing shave soaps right a bit over a month ago (I have had shave soaps for years, but I would just hand lather them, not real "hand lathering" but rub between my hands, get a little lather on my hands, put it on my face and get to it with a cartridge or wet/dry electric). When I bought my first brush it was a brush/stand combo from Miusco. My only guidance was from Amazon reviews, and it had decent reviews. Shipping was taking too long though and I got impatient once my mug arrived and I ordered a Perfecto brush (which came a few days before the Miusco) figuring I'd just rotate them to let them fully dry and increase longevity.

I hate the Miusco. It is scratchy, and it still sheds quite a bit every shave. I do use it every 3 shaves or so though to let my Perfecto dry fully and give it a break, and to see if the Miusco will eventually break in (I will probably get rid of it once I get other brushes).

From searching this and other forums I know that the Perfecto doesn't seem to get much love, but for an inexpensive brush, I'm pretty happy with mine. It lathers well, it is comfortable on my face, and it stopped shedding after my 2nd or 3rd use. Though, I recognize that it is possible that I may be happy with it only because I haven't tried anything better yet.

So, I have had my eye on brushes for a couple weeks. I have ordered a RazoRock Plisson synthetic Big Bruce brush. I'm also looking for a boar, and thinking about one of the Omega or Semogue brushes for now.

I know that some of you have drawers full of brushes, but I don't really want a list of everything you own if you are a collector. I'm more interested to hear what are everyone's favorites. The two or three go to brushes that you use the most. Especially "budget" brushes (preferably $25-30, but certainly no more than $60). What are your go to brushes and why?

I'd say the Simpson brand is my favorite. While they usually exceed your desired limit, I feel you can't go wrong.

I tend to use my boars more often.

I was strictly a badger guy for 3 years. For the heck of it, I tried a couple of boar brushes last month.

Since that time, I have only used boar brushes with the exception of one shave. I have really enjoyed the change.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I was strictly a badger guy for 3 years. For the heck of it, I tried a couple of boar brushes last month.

Since that time, I have only used boar brushes with the exception of one shave. I have really enjoyed the change.

:001_rolle I too started with Badgers. I don't know there is just something really nice about a broken in boar...soft, good backbone, and very user friendly.:001_smile

I have 3 brushes:

EJ best badger, Semogue 1800, and a l'occitane plisson synthetic. I use the boar brush the most.
My next brush may be a Zenith boar with a large knot.

:001_rolle I too started with Badgers. I don't know there is just something really nice about a broken in boar...soft, good backbone, and very user friendly.:001_smile

After seeing your response, I was in full agreement with your sentiments. So much so that I just bought another Omega.

My favorite flip flops back and forth between Stirling's 24 and 26mm badgers. They can't be beat for the price.

I have only one synthetic, the Maggard 22mm. It's nice enough but doesn't see much use lately.

Working on a Semogue 620. It'll be a while before we come to an agreement but I like the feel of the handle in my hand.

@realdog4 I think you'll really enjoy your new brushes! :a14: I know you found the Perfecto a step up, but in my opinion, that brush sucks. I wish I could steer everyone on Amazon from the Perfecto to some of the brushes you've just purchased.

For me, I love my Semogue Owners Club. Have you seen the Semogue brush chart? I refer to it all the time.

From there, I love the Omega Pro 48 and Pro 49. I also was blown away by the RR Silvertip synthetic as far as lathering goes, though I don't like how it kind if flings water around. The RR Chubby Badger is a good deal in badger brushes.

I usually recommend the Omega Pro 49 to people buying their first boar because it's so cheap and performs as well as any boar out there (far better than most for me). The Pro 48 is bigger and takes some getting used to, but it's awesome.

I have eight brushes. But these days I mostly use the Semogue SOC around $50 (cherry wood handle) and the Omega 10049 around $10 (red plastic handle) both of which are large boar brushes. I find that smaller brushes can't hold on to the amount of lather I produce so some of it ends up falling off.

Some people say they are too large for face lathering but I tend to use the tips and a painting motion rather than splaying the brush against my face so I have no problem in that regard.

The Semogue feels softer against the face than the Omega but I like them both.

I have had many brushes over the years.

My current rotation includes 5 Simpsons (Duke 2, Classic 2, Chubby 1, 56 and 57) all in best badger. In addition, I have a Muhle HJM in pure badger and an old no name blond boar that I have used for more than 20 years.

This is my latest re-knot. It's an Omega Beehive matte handle that I really liked with a new APShaveCo Tuxedo 24mm knot installed. Has a great feel to it, but takes just a little more to load than my Whipped Dog and TGN synthetics. Once its loaded and transfered over to the lathering bowl it just explodes and really take to a great thick lather. I am much happier with since using it than when I originally opened the package.
20170213_154202-1 (640x568).jpg 20170213_154412-1 (400x640).jpg

I finally got my RazoRock Big Bruce and I have to say I like it so much better than my Miusco, Perfecto or even the Semogue. At the risk of sounding like a cliche, the lather exploded off that brush. I wasn't sure if I'd like a synthetic, but boy do I like the RR synthetic.

If I had to choose one, the Omega Pro 49 Boar.

I also like my Semogues: the OC Silvertip Badger and the 2000 Boar.

IMG_0162.JPG

Zenith brushes. The one on the left is a Silvertip Badger with a nice weighted aluminum handle. The one on the right is A Best Badger with a white resin handle. Both are superb face latherers with good backbone and oh so luxurious feel. Most underrated brushes in the business, Period. Best value per dollar bar none. The Silvertip was $68 and the Best Badger was $46. A little over your stated price point, but both easily worth double that imho. My favorite badgers to date and no regrets..
IMG_0114.JPG

Semogue 1305 Boar brush. My favorite of my boar brushes. Excellent backbone, decent scritchiness, good lather and will slay any hard Soap known to man. Took about 12-18 shaves to break-in, and the tips to start to split, but she's a keeper. Under $20, only 2-3 hairs lost best bang for your dollar. Enough said.....
Regards, Gus

Last I posted about what I was thinking about doing next with brushes I was thinking about a higher grade badger than the entry level pure badger brushes I have now. Well, I'm not so sure. After about a week and a half with my Semogue, I am finding it much softer than either my Miusco or Perfecto. And I always hear about boar being somewhat scratchy. I like it so much, I'm thinking about maybe another boar (maybe an Omega). I'm definitely sorry I bought my Perfecto (though I'm not sure it is a bad brush), at that price point I just think boar is the way to go ($10-20 for a nice Omega or Semogue brush). The RR synthetic is of course a whole other level of soft. I still may go for a higher grade badger, but I'm not 100% sure. Is it worth the money to step up to a best badger or cheaper silvertip (like the Parkers) when current boars and synthetics are such soft and terrific brushes for so much less money?

I just love the Muhle STF 25mm knot and it's mate the Edwin Jagger STF 25mm knot. None of the other brushes that I have are quite like these. They have just the right amount of backbone and they splay nicely over my face. Just feels so good. My favorite brushes for sure.

Brushes 25mm knot.JPG

Top Bottom