What's new

Coticule Suggestions

I agree! It's a very steep price.I would contact Anne-Katrin [email protected] again. For the one I got it was $200 Canadian shipped and it comes with slurry stone and their custom made box to fit the stone exactly. Not bad at all in the bigger picture considering its one stone from bevel set to finish. My 1k and 4K Shapton gs were more than that and I'm still only at 4K.

Well Gents I have emailed ardennes again and am patiently waiting and during my wait I have conversed with a few sellers and one seller has on that is 15 cm long X 3.5 cm wide, the length seems ok but that seems awful narrow and then another seller has Bouts for sale and they are sizes 8-9 and I have no clue on how that converts to inches

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Bout 8's are approximately 58-70 sq cm's. Bout 9's are approximately 70-84 sq cm's. Shapes are all over the place but here's a pic of a bout 7 just to give you an idea. I get along with this one just fine.

Attachments

• $IMG_9606.jpg
    $IMG_9606.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 71
Bout 8's are approximately 58-70 sq cm's. Bout 9's are approximately 70-84 sq cm's. Shapes are all over the place but here's a pic of a bout 7 just to give you an idea. I get along with this one just fine.

Oh.. i wish the ones I were looking at were shaped like that but they are more of a diamond shape

That's a nice stone is it marked for vein?

David

That's a nice stone is it marked for vein?
Yes it's a La Dressante. I bought it from TSS years ago. I'm not sure if @Jarrod remembers this one or not but it's extremely fast on slurry but on water it slows down and finishes very well. It doesn't show up well in that photo but it has a lot of blushing pink in it.

I also got a La Dressante from TSS (#8 bout). With water only it's smooth as glass. Puts a very nice finish on an edge.

Just received confirmation from Ardennes that my LV shipped today. I will post a pic or two once it arrives. I hope they contact you soon. From what they told me they may or may not get some more LV when mining resumes.

Yes it's a La Dressante. I bought it from TSS years ago. I'm not sure if @Jarrod remembers this one or not but it's extremely fast on slurry but on water it slows down and finishes very well. It doesn't show up well in that photo but it has a lot of blushing pink in it.

Here is mine similar shape not marked for vein but I have had a lot of success with it so far. Posting for the guys looking at this thread for ideas I know Will has a stone on the way :)

proxy.php

The most foolprove coticule finishers are:

-La Minette (newly mined very rare!) No Autoslurry, and quite fast.
-Les Petas (Slow but dead easy to finish on)
-Les Latneuse hybrid side.....

In my opinion the longer the stone the harder the finish. Get a small one......

Greets Sebastian.

My LV arrived a few days ago from Ardennes. It did take a bit of time however they did make a nice box for it. I put a few razors to the stone and got mixed results, guess it's the learning curve. Then I got reading and found this
and this How to Hone on Coticules - YouTube from DrMatt. I put this into practice and my second attempt at honing on a cotti its hht3+. By no means am I at a Gary Hayward level but I'm pretty impressed.

Here is the new stone

image.jpeg

Well just a small update, I managed to secure a small LV stone to work with from Gary H., don't have it yet but when it gets here I will post up a few pics and i am sure i will have questions

David

Glad you were able to get your hands on an LV. Looking forward to seeing it.

Well was a bit surprised as i received my LV Coticule from Gary H. sooner than expected, it's a tad smaller that my two JNATS and other stones but it's a very nice compact size, if some recall I started with coticules several years back and had alot of frustration and tossed in the towel but after working with JNATS and honing a tad on the side I wanted to revisit these stones to at least give folks a choice if I can learn how to finish on one, well after looking and looking Gary not only found me one within my budget but also tested it as I wanted something pretty fast to cut and polish and here we have it the stone measures 1 7/8" W x 4 7/8" L and came with pretty large slurry stone

So today I took a razor that was 100% shave ready, actually it just came off the stones last week and has not been used, rather than take it back to the 4K i just used the slurry stone and worked up what I consider a fair amount of slurry, about the same I use for JNATS and then proceeded to do some sets of circles and then regular strokes, as I said the size is a bit small for me so it took a few minutes to get a rhythm down but it worked out pretty well.

i finished on my maiden voyage with this stone the same way I finish on JNATS and this stones cuts pretty fast, after two sets of circles the slurry was pretty dark and after about 5-6 mins was really dark, I use a spray bottle with JNATS and did the same here but used less water and worked it down to straight water then did about 25-30 laps under running water and stropped on the Kanayama and did my HHT, the HHT was not as keen as my JNATS that run in the 3-4 range but i was pretty happy to get some solid 3's so rather than polish more i am going to just do a test shave and see how it goes.

IMG_6089.jpg
IMG_6091.jpg
IMG_6094.jpg

Well Gents as I continue my quest to learn this stone i did some testing, I took one of my easier less expensive shavers and reset the bevel on a 4K then used my 8K for mid work and Narutaki Asagi on a light DN slurry to finish then stropped then i did my HHT which resulted in a 3/4 which is what I usually get and provides me with a comfortable shave but this time i took it back to the hone and did 60 water only laps on the LV, thr first 40 were a medium light pressure and the last 20 were very light. The first 20 seemed rough but then it felt like i was honing on glass ? after 40 the water had a slight grey tint to it and i mean slight after the 40 laps I rinsed clean and did my last 20 laps then stropped again and pretty much got the same HHT so my question is how many laps would it take to remove the JNAT edge and put a conticule edge on it ? I have looked at the edge under a loupe but not sure what I am loooking for to compare the two different edges.

What ive done is hone half the blade on the test stone. Then compare. You should see a distinct difference between the 2 imo.

Top Bottom