What's new

I don't like this soap now what?

What a waste, why not just PIF them to someone who might enjoy them?
Because life's too short to mail used soap around, not to mention that the idea of used soap is kinda gross in itself.

Soap is readily available and cheap as chips; there's no shortage. Only reason it's more expensive than Arko or Williams is because shavers (myself included) are willing to pay grossly inflated prices for fancy scents, fancy packaging, and often international shipping/importation.

I may not be best person to ask because scent is (usually) the least important aspect in my choices. I tend to pick soaps with top performance and generally mild scents. My current favorites are: Haslinger, MWF, and MdC.

I may not be best person to ask because scent is (usually) the least important aspect in my choices. I tend to pick soaps with top performance and generally mild scents. My current favorites are: Haslinger, MWF, and MdC.

Yes but if Haslinger smelled like a wet dog who got in a fight with a skunk would you use it?

I doubt it!

Fortunately, Haslinger scents are mild and (to me) pleasant! Scent is a consideration, just far from #1 for me!

I just finished a tub of the Jack Frost soap. The pine and menthol is quite nice but the orange note I could do without. Overall not a bad scent once you get a few shaves into it. Performance was outstanding. I'd give it a week or so and I think it'll grow on you. I certainly didn't feel like I suffered through the tub I used. I bought another for a penny as well, so I'll be using it again at some point.

I doubt it!

Fortunately, Haslinger scents are mild and (to me) pleasant! Scent is a consideration, just far from #1 for me!

Lol had to play a little advocate. I love Haslinger and I agree they are mild and fantastic!
"escuma"
Like you mentioned earlier I put most weight on performance but the scent has to at least be pleasant.

Last edited:
L&L Puzzle - I just can't get over the scent, it's horrid. My first miss from L&L Grooming. With that being said I tried to shave it once and I still didn't like the scent, but since it is a Limited Edition soap, I decided to just keep in around in the den.

I have thrashed some under-performed soap in my den like MWF, D.R. Harris and Cella. Cella is more of the scent for me, it makes me nauseous.

I don't have that problem with soap
BUT
I've had exactly that problem with a lot of creams....
Old Spice Fresh Lime, Musk & Original creams from India - bland, insipid smell that is nothing whatsoever like the excellent aftershaves
Estoril Sport Line from Portugal - similar bland, boring and insipid scent as the Old Spice creams
Lider Classic from Poland - nasty, chemically, artificial lime scent, fluorescent "puke" green colour
Goldex from Portugal - similar artificial lime scent as Lider, but with an anaemic version of the "puke" green colour

Performance wise all the creams did quite well, but I found the insipid scented ones to be boring, and the lime scented ones to be stomach churning

I solved the problem by using them as a base for superlathers when I cold water shave in summer - a good splurge of any of the creams mixed with Proraso Green soap made a very refreshing menthol scented superlather
A small amount of Goldex or Lider added to a generous splurge of any of the Old Spice creams resulted in a lime scent that Procter & Gamble/Rubicon should have come up with when they made Old Spice Fresh Lime cream

If it works with creams - mixing your soap "rejects" with a good cream should work too

I can't imagine fighting with a puck of soap for a week to get a good lather. If it doesn't work on the second shave, it's not worth the effort to me, and will be pitched.

The only soap that has really let me down is Geo. F. Trumper's lime. Wouldn't lather worth a durn.

I just gutted it out and used it.

I haven't found one that I loathe yet, but the soaps I have used that I didn't love, I just used them anyway. I still got at least a decent shave from them.

There have only been a few soaps that I had that I did not like at all (scent, performance, or otherwise). Col. Conk was one of them. I relegated them to the shower for my glycerin face wash before I exited. Often a bad performing soap will make an excellent pre-shave...most certainly will make an excellent face wash. For those soaps that are more CROAP like, a small dollop on your fingers and a wet washcloth and you have an excellent face wash. As far as the scent goes, I find very few soap scents that last much beyond a shave...so unless it is rancid Ghee, soaked in Boubon Street Urine...the scent probably won't bother me too much.

As far as tossing a soap? I just can't do it. That is a waste in my opinion. One might be surprised that even a bad performing or awful smelling soap is wanted by others. If paying for shipping is an issue...you might be surprised that there are others that will pitch in for it. And as far as the hygiene issue goes...unless you are washing your armpits or your nether regions, or if you have a communicable disease (and I would hope that if you have scabies or ring worms that you would toss it then)...nothing that a skimming of the top layer can't handle. Plus, most of soaps never come in direct contact with another's skin. And even if it did...it's soap! I mean...It's soap! Believe me, I have done way worse in the gross department that use another man's shave soap. The military will do that to you.

If I come across a soap that I don't like for shaving but is otherwise OK, I toss it in the shower and use it up there. If it's really bad, I'll toss it straight into the trash.

So what you're saying @dangerousdon is, just wash the soap with soap and water and the soap will be good to go again ...because its soap. Clever.

I think the only soap scent that gave me the heebeegeebeez was L&L cuir et espices. I lathered my sample with a new badger brush (in hind sight not the best idea) and the combined funk was BAD. The website describes the scent as "John Wayne's kitchen" what they left off is the part were he walks into that kitchen after mucking stalls wearing only his leather chaps and his boots. I tried to use that sample again but couldn't bring myself to do it. The image of John Wayne standing there in nothing but stinky boots and chaos was too much ...so I sent the sample to Dave.
(And the funky badger took weeks to stop stinking)

So what you're saying @dangerousdon is, just wash the soap with soap and water and the soap will be good to go again ...because its soap. Clever.

I think the only soap scent that gave me the heebeegeebeez was L&L cuir et espices. I lathered my sample with a new badger brush (in hind sight not the best idea) and the combined funk was BAD. The website describes the scent as "John Wayne's kitchen" what they left off is the part were he walks into that kitchen after mucking stalls wearing only his leather chaps and his boots. I tried to use that sample again but couldn't bring myself to do it. The image of John Wayne standing there in nothing but stinky boots and chaos was too much ...so I sent the sample to Dave.
(And the funky badger took weeks to stop stinking)

I guess my point is that soap is soap...essentially we use it to clean things. Yes we shave with it...but all soap is generally made the same way. I think we overthink the hygiene thing sometimes.

I like "The Duke" like the best of them...but that sounds foul. Plus it's a sample...so no biggie!

Okay the exchange below literally made me laugh out loud while reading this morning with my cup o' joe!

For those soaps that are more CROAP like, a small dollop on your fingers and a wet washcloth and you have an excellent face wash.

Surprisingly I never thought to do this... very good idea, thanks for this!

Not here either!

As far as tossing a soap? I just can't do it. That is a waste in my opinion. One might be surprised that even a bad performing or awful smelling soap is wanted by others. If paying for shipping is an issue...you might be surprised that there are others that will pitch in for it. And as far as the hygiene issue goes...unless you are washing your armpits or your nether regions, or if you have a communicable disease (and I would hope that if you have scabies or ring worms that you would toss it then)...nothing that a skimming of the top layer can't handle. Plus, most of soaps never come in direct contact with another's skin. And even if it did...it's soap! I mean...It's soap! Believe me, I have done way worse in the gross department that use another man's shave soap. The military will do that to you. "Shower Duty"

I take a very similar approach to you. I will buy used soaps, but I always scrape off the top layer.

This is where I laughed!

HA HA

I guess my point is that soap is soap...essentially we use it to clean things. Yes we shave with it...but all soap is generally made the same way. I think we overthink the hygiene thing sometimes.

And here too!

Nice Try

Top Bottom