What's new

Thuringian questions...

How does the shave from a progression finished on a Thuringian compare to a Coticule finish and to a Jnat finish?

Is the Thuringian just as smooth but sharper as compared to a Coticule?

How does a Thuringian finish compare to a Cnat finish?

I use a edges finished on a LV cotti and edges finished on a Artaunon with yellow/green thuri slurry and edges with just the Artaunon. I have also used Jnat edges. No one is better than the other, they all have a different feel while shaving and you have to try them to figure out tpwhat suits you best. Personally I love the cotti and thuri edges, they are both keen yet smooth. I find most Jnat edges very keen bit not as smooth, although much smoother than a synthetic finished edge. Everything wet shaving is a case of YMMV. Send a few razors out to get professionally honed and request a cotti, thuri and Jnat edge, this way you can compare the edges for yourself.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
To me, the thuris get the edge a little sharper than the coticules. That's the case with my stones. Still smooth but sharper.

No Jnats here so can't compare.

These things are very difficult to quantify based on the multiple variables involved. You can get many different edges from different types of coti, jnat or even thuri to a degree. Plus the honing skill makes a huge difference too and other variables. In general though the Thuri will be the most consistent and will generally bump up a coti edge a bit keener while still giving a very smooth shave. It will also depend on what the lead up progression was to these finishing stones. Now a coti and the Jnat are more beginning middle and finish while a Thuri is just a finisher. I would not look at the Jnats the same way there are ones that can create edges that feel like a super coti or super thuri edge and there are ones that are super hard and will create lazer guided edges it all depends on the stone and the person involved. Plus many Jnats may be for middle work leading up to the final finish. Some like the softer stones edges and some like the super insane hard stone edges. It is really preference with some degree what your beard and skin type is too will make a difference on what you like. Also in the end all of the edges finishing feel depends on the creation of a good bevel in the beginning. Without a good set bevel the final edge will never be that good.

Simple answer for me going from a coti to thuri = sharper just as smooth.

Thuris are the king of consistency and ease of use. Every edge off every Thuri with every razor will shave well and there is no learning curve. They're like paste, but good. As long as your razor isn't FUBAR and you beveled right, a Thuri will get you a great edge. Coticule and jnats have examples that can do the same, but they are the exception not the rule.

That`s it!

Thuris are the king of consistency and ease of use. Every edge off every Thuri with every razor will shave well and there is no learning curve. They're like paste, but good. As long as your razor isn't FUBAR and you beveled right, a Thuri will get you a great edge. Coticule and jnats have examples that can do the same, but they are the exception not the rule.

I like the pure coti edge more, but i got a very sensitive skin especially in winter. Thuri `s are nearly foolprove compared to coticule stones...

And because of the cheap fleamarket finds (in Germany) it is still possible to go from Bevel Set to a heavy slurry thuri...

Greets Sebastian.

I have tried the Thuri after coticule no improvement for me in fact I prefer the coticule. Escher tried several no improvement in fact I felt the edge was crisp. So I always went back to the coticule.
Tried ch12 k not any difference. Tried j nats afternthe coticule only to produce not as smoothnan edge for me.

Recently i tried a Welsh slate rated 12 k to 15 k just 50 strokes on water.

All I can say is I was very impressed with the Welsh slate. The improvement was a. Notch more keenness whilst still retaining a smooth very comfortable edge. Cost me £25 and it's a great finisher i,d say the seller estimated grit is bang on.

I,be used this slate on ten razors and every time the edge was keener in the way it just whipped beard away, and felt smooth. Skin was in great shape after shave.

I have once try one small black welsh slate - it realy gave me impresive edge - If you know what you are doing , and insist on plain water , it gave marvelous edge . Somehow close to thuringian but sharper , not so serated .
I dont know abbout the new stock Welsh slates

My thuringian doesn't sharpen much of anything. Doesn't excel in the sharpening department at all. It will however used judiciously augment an edge into something special. My rock may not be the best example for its sharpening qualities. I wish I could try more samples to make a comparison but that's all I got to go by.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My thuringian doesn't sharpen much of anything. Doesn't excel in the sharpening department at all. It will however used judiciously augment an edge into something special. My rock may not be the best example for its sharpening qualities. I wish I could try more samples to make a comparison but that's all I got to go by.

Have you tried using it with slurry? I have three different thuris and they are all great finishers but they become totally different stones with a slurry.

What are you going to it off of, also?
I've gone to a Thuri off 1.2k DMT with little work. I go to Thuri's off 8k about as easily as any finisher.

Also, Rusen, that's the first I've ever seen a Thuri edge described as "serrated". If your edge is serrated past a 1k, the razor is either junk (pakistan razors tend to go serrated at 600-2k grit I suppose because the steel fails) or something is wrong with your technique or hones.

I will agree that I've gotten better results using the Yellow Lakes (on razors) with water vs oil. I thought very little of them for razors when I used them as oilstones; but on water I've found a razor or two they work a treat on. Certainly not Thuri's, but going for $20-40 for 8x2x1", they're a worthwhile addition to a den in my book, if only for the history/label/collectible nature/occasional use. They're not a bad choice for a cheap finisher if you NEED the size. I'd take one over a CNAT or a random barbers synthetic, for instance. I'd still take a small thuri or coti over one though; but like I said, if you NEED the size; go for it. Keeping in mind my reference is the vintage ones. I don't use the modern Welsh Slates.

Don't mean to hijack this thread as my question is somewhat related to the OP's. I have been touching up my razors with a coticule for the last 3 years and have never tried a thuringian, this thread has pique my curiosity about this stone. Will this give me a better edge for touch up or will I get more out of this stone than the coti?

Have you tried using it with slurry? I have three different thuris and they are all great finishers but they become totally different stones with a slurry.
yeah i tried lots of things with it heavy slurry, light slurry ,clean running water, glycerin, soap what ever. Its a decent finisher it adds some smoothness and comfort to an already sharp edge. I would be hard pressed to take a no shaving edge and bring it back and well it would be an insane amount of work. the stone is small has very little travel. Its just not suited for certain types of honing. It shines in its finishing role and that's about it. I doubt all Thuris are the same but I haven't tried enough to form any sort of opinion about their potential.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
yeah i tried lots of things with it heavy slurry, light slurry ,clean running water, glycerin, soap what ever. Its a decent finisher it adds some smoothness and comfort to an already sharp edge. I would be hard pressed to take a no shaving edge and bring it back and well it would be an insane amount of work. the stone is small has very little travel. Its just not suited for certain types of honing. It shines in its finishing role and that's about it. I doubt all Thuris are the same but I haven't tried enough to form any sort of opinion about their potential.
Gotcha. Yes, the small ones kind of limit your ability to remove lots of steel.

That doesn't sound like a Thuri to me. Got a picture? Thuris are like rouge de salms (and apparently old rocks now). Everyone without one thinks every slate(bbw/coti) they find is one. I've gotten a dozen great blue slates from lots of stones... None thuris, but if I sold any of them on eBay... Odds are they would show up in the show off your Thuri thread a few days later.

Also, avoid soap and glycerol on thuris. Water only.

Want pictures check the show off your thuris thread I plastered 3 on there. And if it isn't a thuris what is it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom