What's new

2017 release announcements

That's a regulation 9' table. I've always wanted a 10' snooker table (which might support 50-60 brush releases), but the space we have wouldn't properly accommodate one. Pool tables are very finicky about that.

You might say, then you need to get a bigger house. But the fact is we're lining ourselves out to downsize.

Actually, the point is... organizing the shipping on a pool table is most elegant!:001_cool:

proxy.php

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
We've settled on Sunday, February 19 at 2:00 PM Central for our next release. This one will include about 35 brushes, all with faux tortoise handles. Stay tuned for more details. We should have preview photos up in our Flickr gallery by mid-day Saturday. We'll post a link when they're ready.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I was asked somewhere else whether the apparent concept of this release would be repeated with other materials. It's a good question. I should probably post my response here also.

We really aren't pursuing a concept so much as just turning loose a small batch of brushes.

Tortoise is a bit of a pain because of the partial transparency. We dial-in knot placement with spacers turned to optimal diameter to fit a handle size and precisely cut in half mm increments. A problem we ran into with tortoise handles was that the small-diameter Somerset and Butterscotch rod we had acquired specifically for use in making spacers showed through. So although we continued making tortoise handles, we stopped gluing knots in them until we could get some small diameter tortoise rod for spacers. It's more expensive, so we only use it for tortoise handles.

Every now and then I cut a bunch of spacers in different sizes from the Butterscotch and Somerset rod to have on hand for non-tortoise handles. But I don't cut tortoise spacers until I know exactly what we need to set selected knots in particular tortoise handles. Otherwise we'd run short faster, and the only way for us to get non-standard sizes of rod is to order it in 50 kilo minimum quantities.

We received a large order of tortoise rod late last summer, but we just recently caught ourselves up to cutting spacers and setting knots in the tortoise handles that had accumulated. That's mostly because it works best for us to set knots in tortoise handles separately (i.e., not in line with other handles). We thought it might be fun to have a release with only tortoise since we haven't offered any (at least not that I recall) since early year. And I'm pretty sure that was only a few.

I'm really fired up for this release. Ken is it still safe to say that the L knots are theoretically the softest/ least scrubby?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I'm really fired up for this release. Ken is it still safe to say that the L knots are theoretically the softest/ least scrubby?
I'm not sure what is safe to say when it comes to subjective experience in use of shaving brushes. The release on Sunday will include brushes with knots from two recent orders. I just posted knot notes for some Ls that were delivered in late January. They feel very soft when dry -- indistinguishable by me from earlier Ls -- but they exhibit significantly more presence, by which I mean I can sense individual hairs. I don't find them to be scritchy, but they certainly don't feel like a soft sponge to me. If that's something you care about, you might want to stand out and wait for others to post their observations. I'm interested to hear others' impressions myself.

There will always be another brush.

There will always be MORE brushes....

I hope.

Joking apart, tortoise thing seems to be a pain, but it definitely makes a very nice handle. My first 'proper' top notch brush was a Kent (!) in tortoise shell. It was in my shaves for over 12 years... until the knot didn't deliver anymore. But the handle still looks great.

And all this to ask myself if I should (well, it's clear I should) grab one of these!

IMG_4826.JPG
We've settled on Sunday, February 19 at 2:00 PM Central for our next release. This one will include about 35 brushes, all with faux tortoise handles. Stay tuned for more details. We should have preview photos up in our Flickr gallery by mid-day Saturday. We'll post a link when they're ready.

I am locked, loaded and totally focused..like Wayne Campbell says:
"It will be mine; oh yes, it will be mine."

Got my third Paladin today, a Chief. Still holding out for a Lotus.

I was able to pick up a 26mm Falstaff fan after trying the last 2 or 3 releases unsuccessfully. I'm so excited to see it in person. Really stoked about the fan knot too.

Top Bottom