What's new

Newbie ink questions

I've recently purchased my first fountain pen (Nemosine Singularity), and I have a couple of dumb questions.

Firstly, how long does ink typically last? I thought that I was being conservative with a 30mL bottle of ink, and two 2mL samples of ink, but it looks like I have more ink than I could ever use. If I were filling ballpoint or rollerball cartridges, then I would have hundreds of refills worth of ink, so I am assuming that fountain pens go through ink much faster than ordinary pens. Perhaps ink is also lost when cleaning pens?

Secondly, one of the samples is of J Herbin's Emerald of Chivor, which contains gold particles that can settle inside of pens. As I understand, I need to agitate the ink a bit, to mix the particles, before I write. Can I shake a fountain pen, or will it leak everywhere?

Thirdly, should I avoid using a 2mL ink sample, eyedropper style? I'm not sure how full it will fill my pen, but if the ink level is low, I would assume the pen would skip a lot, because of the air in the reservoir. I can use my pen with a converter, but I think it looks much nicer as an eyedropper pen, because I choose the model with the transparent plastic.

Welcome to this corner of B&B.

1) Depends on the ink, the pen, and how much you write. I've got 20 ounces of vintage Sheaffer's Skrip, but still pick up an occasional sample of a different color for variety.

2) It shouldn't leak unless you are really swinging it around. A little gentle agitation should get it back in suspension.

3) Silicone grease on the threads for peace of mind if you want and it should work. It may be a little more inclined to burp from the heat of your hand but again it depends on how long you are writing with it.

My kids both have Singularities and like them but be aware that the cap may have a tendency to crack. Great customer service if you have an issue just contact them and they will treat you well.

Ink lasts until it doesn't. If you've got fines or mediums, a bottle is going to last much longer than if you're using broads, italics, or flex nibs. If you're using a pen for the occasional note, your ink consumption is going to be lower than if you're writing essays or what have you. I've run through a full fill in less than a day using a Desiderata with a Zebra G because of the amount of ink it can lay down. Very much a ymmv thing. There's also the occasional case of mold growth that can put a quick end to a bottle, which I've been fortunate not to have fallen victim to thus far.

I just got rid of the last few ml (5 or so) of a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black earlier this week. I bought the bottle (62.5 ml) in December 2012. When I bought it it was my only ink. I have since acquired 5 80 ml bottles of Diamine, 4 90 ml bottles of Noodler's, 4 30 ml bottles of Blackstone, and 3-4 50 ml bottles of other inks. Plus I have a bunch of samples. I know people with HUNDREDS of bottles of ink. From $10 a bottle to over $20 per bottle and up.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Congrats, on purchasing your first fountain pen!

Regarding, being worried about too much air if you make it an eyedropper, it shouldn't be a problem. The ink feeds through the nib due to capillary action. Plus, the nib is pointing down for most instances of use.

Congratulations and welcome to your first journey down the rabbit hole.

Don't worry about ink consumption. I already own more ink than I could use in a lifetime, and I know I'll buy more when something strikes my fancy. As already noted, ink consumption is just like gasoline consumption. Some pens get better mileage than others, and the farther you drive (how much you write), and engine (nib) size all factor into it.

Thanks for the responses, gentleman. I appreciate it.

One last question: When I get tired of the Diamine Oxblood ink that I filled my pen with, can I just dump the reservoir back into the ink bottle? I'm not sure if the silicone grease on the threads will contaminate the ink, or if any residue from inside the pen will make the ink go bad, in the long run.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
....can I just dump the reservoir back into the ink bottle?

Not really a good idea unless it's a tiny sample bottle, you don't want to potentially contaminate a whole bottle with something and cause mold in there. Most inks have a biocide to prevent this but there have been reported cases.

the only ink ive made a dent in is my noodlers black, though i keep a pen loaded up at all times with it. at the rate i use it, it will last at least 15 years. so dont worry about consumption. worry about storage, i keep my noodlers in the original box, tucked in a wood box, so its save from UV damage and accidental drops.

And I now have another 180 ml of ink on its way to me. A 80 ml bottle of Diamine Merlot, a 50 ml bottle of Lamy Pacific and a 50 ml bottle of Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot.

I now have five of the smaller 15 ml bottles of pilot ink. I find that these are probably the best size bottle since I will most likely be a smaller user as well. I also have a bunch of samples to use. Only been in the game a couple of weeks. Some how I have managed to not buy anymore pens yet even though I want to badly hah.

I now have two fountain pens, as I received a Monteverde Invincia as a gift.

I'm noticing that it has a much scratchier feel to it, despite having the same size nib. Although the Monteverde is a much nicer pen, I prefer the Nemosine, because it writes so smoothly. I did notice that the writing was a little smoother with J. Herbin ink than Noodler's ink, but neither ink was as smooth as the Diamine ink in my Nemosine pen. Judging by the film that clings to the ink containers, Noodler's has the highest viscosity, J. Herbin has the lowest viscosity, and Diamine is somewhere in between. I guess this means that the nib on the Monteverde is to blame?

Regarding ink consumption, so far I've used up about 3/8" of the ink in the reservoir of the Nemosine pen. (Eyedropper fill.) That's definitely faster than I was expecting, so maybe I can get through these inks in my lifetime. Lol. There is something oddly satisfying to me about using up ink and pencil lead. I guess it makes me feel like I've been productive in writing things out.

Trying different inks is the fun of writing with a fountain pen. If interested I can send you a sample of Montblanc ink. Just PM me your address if interested.

The Monteverde may have misaligned tines, which can be corrected. You might invest in a loupe (rec. for a Belomo 10x or 12x) to get a good look at the problem for that & the hoard of other pens I'm sure will follow. ;)

Top Bottom