What's new

New to the straight, found an old blade...

I'm new to straight razor shaving. While waiting for my PRC Sprite and strop to arrive, I came across this golden oldie and bought the old girl.

Don't know how old it is, but I'm guessing it's close to 100 years.

It's my intention to clean up the bevel with my 6,000 grit water stone (final step for my chisels and plane blades), followed by some time on 1 and .3 micron lapping film, then the strop.

I'm guessing the scales are Bakelite? Any thoughts on giving these a shine?

Anyone know other info regarding "Clauss" blades?

This forum is a terrific resource!

Honing a razor is not like honing a knife. Some research on the angles and methods might be a good idea.

Bakelite is a brownish plastic. It oxidizes easily. Lightly hand buff it and use paste wax.

Ebonite is vulcanized rubber. It is black and very, very brittle. It can come back to a very high gloss. There are several articles on B&B that will help you identify the scale material and provide info on bringing it back to life.

Have fun!

There is a number of videos and tools regarding honing a straight razor, and as BobL wrote, it is far different than sharpening a knife. I am in the same place you are, just a few weeks older in the process. I would suggest to for your razor shave ready and the strop. Hang in there, it is worth it

Nice find! That is a great looking razor. As stated though, honing a razor is a learning curve in itself. In all honesty, since it is your first I would recommend having it honed by someone like Doc226, Steve56, or one of our other great honing gurus. That way you can concentrate more on learning to use it and not having to guess if a bad shave is from bad technique or bad edge.

Top Bottom