What's new

My first SR shave today...

Let me start by saying I have not been this excited about shaving since I started using a DE several years ago.

I received my "Dovo Best Quality 5/8" Straight Razor" Friday and used it for the first time today. It was part of a set with soap, brush, and strop but I will talk about the rest in their appropriate boards

I went through my normal routine. The razor was honed before shipping and most of the advice I found was that since it was honed (and presumably stropped) already there was no need to strop it so I did not. I did however test it on my arm and the hairs just popped off.

I only did the sides of my face and finished the rest with my regular DE safety razor.

My hand was literally shaking at first when I put the blade to my face. Some what out of fear and out of excitement.

I used my dominant (right) hand for both sides and quickly found that it blocked my view in the mirror when I did the right side of my face.

I ended up with a little irritation as I was trying to get the correct angle but other than that it went great.

Looking forward to many more...........

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
My hand was literally shaking at first when I put the blade to my face. Some what out of fear and out of excitement.

A great feeling! I remember my first straight shave exactly as your statement proclaims.
Seems we are gaining quite a few gentlemen to the darkside.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Trust me: it's much easier to shave someone else's face. Finding a willing subject.... Well that's an entirely different story!

My first was a story to tell... almost quit. I stuck with it and today was the third... Loving it. Welcome to the crazy rabbit hole

Welcome to the fold !! It only gets better from here...just remember that with every victory comes a loss so you will nick yourself eventually...lol.

Its amazing how a daily chore can turn into a daily pleasure when all the right pieces come together.

Sounds very similar to mine last week as well. Had yesterday off of work which was the third day so that was my first real day where I did the entire face and neck area with my new SR and didn't clean up with a DE. I don't think I am going to do weekdays just because I don't want to feel rushed or any added pressure, and the weekends I am going to look forward to my SR shaves and improving technique. Something about that cold steel blade to your neck and face that makes you feel alive for sure! Keep it up and since we kind of started together I will follow and see if I can learn anything new from you on this journey!

Keep at it and you will get to the point where your aftershave is just cold. Have fun...

Yes: a good point. When shaving with a newly-honed - or indeed any - razor, I have what I call the "alum block and aftershave test" This soon tells one how successful a honing job has been.

C.

Top Bottom