What's new

Which do you prefer, an aggressive or a mild razor?

Adjustables..... The best of both Worlds. Then again, a straight wedge, sheer lunacy but oh what satisfaction and glory. Why? Because we're MEN. Period.

I like both. I'm not trying to get the best shave possible, just trying to test drive all the vintage razors I can. I tend to stay more towards the aggressive side, keeps me on my toes. But, I do like to have a nice mild easy Tech or Super Speed shave now and then too. As long as it's not too mild I don't like razors with negative blade exposure. Grand Shave King, I'm looking at you. :rolleyes:

I really use both aggressive and mild but I tend to reach for the aggressive ones more. I still enjoy my Merkur 41c sometimes which most guys agree could be the mildest razor of all.

I use mostly mild, those being my Merkur 34c, Jack Black by Muhle, Merur travel, Supply Co SE, and WCS midnight 110b, but I do have one Aggressive razor that I do like to use on occasion.

My aggressive is a Symmetry purple tip Open comb. When I first used it I think I used a Feather blade. That was an abject FAIL, although I'm sure that is because me technique was lacking.

I tried it after a recent ski trip where I had at least 5 days growth. I used an Astra SS blade.
That was one of the easiest, smoothest, closest shaves I have ever had. It makes me think that the blade is the most important hardward piece in the wet shaving puzzle. Kind of like ski boots being the most important part of your ski gear.

It's been almost a month since the last symmetry shave so I should probably use it again this week. I love the length, the weight, and the nurling. It may be my most balanced razor, except for the more aggressive head.
htgam symmetry open comb.jpg

Last edited:
This is an interesting concept to me. I prefer as mild a razor as I can use that will get the job done. I have a Mercur Futur and an Jagger D89 and while I initially thought I needed a more aggressive razor do to my beard type, I find that if I shave somewhat fast, as demonstrated on most videos the Jagger does almost as good a job.

I'm not convinced that blade gap does as much as I assumed regarding beard type, it may be very important in beard length but I don't honestly know.

I set the Futur at one blip lower than where I tend to get weepers and that method seems to work pretty good.
The more I shave the more I believe it's the three T's that matter. Technique, Technique and Technique.

I like something in the middle (perhaps a touch closer to being aggressive), which is the Fatip Testina Gentile. The shave feels great, I get very little blade feel and blades often feel rough before I feel overt tugging. I can get a good number of comfortable shaves on the blades I use in this razor as opposed to my more aggressive razors, and it still takes the hair off efficiently. This razor strikes a great balance.

I do like me aggressive razors (to a point, the Ikon Tech is too much for me) but those are the tools I use for longer stubble. The Gentile is a great daily razor.

Last edited:
My goto razor is a 48-50 Aristocrat these days. I typically get 20 daily face and head shaves from my top blades. If I want more, I move the blade my NEW SC or Fatboy on setting 9, I don't use fresh blades in them anymore.

Before that, I used my NEW SC for about 6 months straight daily, the LC before that.

This is an interesting concept to me. I prefer as mild a razor as I can use that will get the job done. I have a Mercur Futur and an Jagger D89 and while I initially thought I needed a more aggressive razor do to my beard type, I find that if I shave somewhat fast, as demonstrated on most videos the Jagger does almost as good a job.

I'm not convinced that blade gap does as much as I assumed regarding beard type, it may be very important in beard length but I don't honestly know.

I set the Futur at one blip lower than where I tend to get weepers and that method seems to work pretty good.
The more I shave the more I believe it's the three T's that matter. Technique, Technique and Technique.

Blade gap does not change the aggressiveness of the razor. It may allow you more different angles to choose from.
I agree with you 100% that the key thing is technique. Once you get your technique down, you should be able to shave with almost any razor.

I always get confused between "aggressive" razors and efficient razors. To me, an efficient razor removes stubble with all the effectiveness of an aggressive razor but without the irritation and nicks. I avoid aggressive razors for that reason and gravitate to efficient razors.

I used to like the aggressive razors but now reach for a mild one most of the time. Rocket HD, techs and the feather popular are my most used razors.

V mild in the week (early mornings half awake) so Feather AS-D2!! and mild on the weekend - the most aggressive I have is a Merkur Progress!! I shave every day so don't need a weaponised razor!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mild (DE89) with a medium blade (Astra SP, Vokshod, Personna platinum) for me.. That way i know I'll get a great shave and I'm unlikely to cut myself if I'm not concentrating.. about once a month on a weekend, if I have a few days stubble and when I have time to enjoy the shave I'll pull out my R41 and use that (mostly with Personna platinums so far, I haven't been game to put a feather in it yet).

Top Bottom