What's new

Vibrating Handles

I used to use the Stahly back in the days when it was available, so when I came back to DE shaving, I resurrected it and loved it. The Stahly differs from all the battery powered cartridge razors in that they only vibrate. Look closely at the Stahly head. It's designed so that the blade portion is fixed between leaf springs at either end and that allows the blade to slide very slightly from side to side. Does it work? Absolutely, but the winding spring mechanism has its issues. The Stahly is also a very mild razor so I've moved on. I find that the RazoRock Wunderbar Slant is a great substitute as it's a more aggressive razor so it shaves closer, but has a very mild cutting action so it's less irritating than every other DE razor i own.

With regards to the Gillette cartridge razors that vibrate, I did some experimenting with them back in the day, and my conclusions were these:

1) I could detect absolutely no difference in the quality of the shave from one side of my face to the other (one side shaved with vibration on, the other with vibration off)

2) I still preferred the vibrating razor over the standard, non-vibrating razor. I eventually figured out that the reason was that the battery made the handle heavier, which gave the razor better balance. For years I used the "vibrating" razor but never turned it on!

3) I can understand the rationale that a blade, if it would vibrate from side-to-side exclusively, would slice whiskers better and thus be smoother. I do not believe that the Gillette mechanism provides for that.

My considered opinion is that the reason Gillette put the vibration in the handle has more to do with "fooling your senses" than it does with actually providing a smoother shave. The vibration sensation is sent through your afferent nerves to your brain. You can only send so much signal through those nerves at any one time. Sensations of pulling, dragging, or pain are dampened when the nerves are busy sending vibratory signals. This is likely why the shave is perceived as being "smoother."

As Dennis Miller always used to say, "This is only my opinion; I could be wrong."

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
To the original poster:
I have done you one better: I shaved this morning with my son's electric razor held securely to the top of my head with a bungee cord. I was also standing on our canister vacuum cleaner.
ABSOLUTELY THE BEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE!
And remember, all of the above is true, or I would lose both my Registered Nurse AND Cosmetology licenses. Because I took an oath. I think. At least for one of those....

I have never used the stahly winded-up. Might give it a go with a different head (one of the springs on the original bp is damaged), just to see how it goes.

To the original poster:
I have done you one better: I shaved this morning with my son's electric razor held securely to the top of my head with a bungee cord. I was also standing on our canister vacuum cleaner.
ABSOLUTELY THE BEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE!
And remember, all of the above is true, or I would lose both my Registered Nurse AND Cosmetology licenses. Because I took an oath. I think. At least for one of those....
I think you might have something ;)

IMGA00441.jpg

This is a Stahly Vibrating Razor head I put on a vibrating toothbrush handle. It's 8 inches long. Haven't shaved with it yet. Wish me luck.

The reason the Stahly vibrating razor and similar upscale vibrating razors are no longer made is they are expensive and labor intensive to manufacture.

View attachment 821158
This is a Stahly Vibrating Razor head I put on a vibrating toothbrush handle. It's 8 inches long. Haven't shaved with it yet. Wish me luck.
The toothbrush handle didn't work out very well. It vibrated so much I couldn't get any feedback from the razor to tell how well it was shaving. I believe you would have to match how the Stahly handle vibrates in order to get the head to perform right. Still the Stahly head is a good little shaver.

After having two Stahly vibrating motors freeze up and become useless, I put the Stahly heads on a Fat Tech handle and on a Merkur 15C handle. I now have two outstanding Frankenrazors that shave good and look good. The Stahly head is a close and comfortable shaving experience, even without the vibrating feature.

I have to admit that I'm skeptical of the whole vibrating razor idea. In my thought experiment I imagine a vibrating straight razor; what could possibly go wrong?

There were several electric vibrating safety razors in the 20s/30s, the Tark is the one I see most often on ebay but there was also the Vibo-Razor and one by Siemens. Everything old is new again....

I think the theory and concept of the vibrating razor is ok, but in my experience the results and benefits were inconclusive. I can't honestly say that the Stahly shaved better in the vibrating mode than it did with the switch turned off. The internal engineering of the motor is impressive. It reminds me of a watch or an automatic transmission. For whatever reason, though, the old models tend to lock up when wound tight and not work. The more impressive feature of the Stahly is the head. Stick it on a favorite conventional handle, and one has an outstanding and comfortable Frankenrazor.

Top Bottom