What's new

Ralf Aust - Jerry Stark - Boker or Hart ? Thoughts for a new straight

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Never paid much attention to them before but those Aust razors look pretty doggone nice. I'm a Hart/PRC fan myself but Stark and Aust are starting to catch my eye in a good way.

You will simply not do better than Ralf Aust for a production razor. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Brian Brown is putting out some really fine razors of late. He's changing his look a bit and the results are superb. This was posted yesterday. Beautiful....
FullSizeRender.jpg

Have 2 Aust's and had 2 Stark's just sold one. Aust's would be my first choice and you may want to find a nice Genco. It can hold it's own with any razor and is much less.

I own 5 Ralf Aust. All 5 came beautifully manufactured. Perfectly centered in their scales. Overall quality of production is nothing short of perfect. They all arrived honed to perfection.
They are wonderful shavers. It was very easy to order on his website, and in stock razors are delivered in a flash. They are among my favorite razor in my collection, and I own many. They sure are the best bang for your bucks. Perfect razors at a very reasonable price. I have a preference for square points, but the French point is gorgeous.
These razors look wonderful, are flawless, shave great and are in the mainstream range in terms of price.

There were some discussions about the quality of Harts slipping that you might want to research.
Hart Steel has apparently been absorbed by Classing Shaving and the razors may no longer be on par with the old Hart Steel razors.

Boker could be interesting, they have been around since 1869, but remind me somewhat of DOVO, which would not be good sign.
I had been tempted a few times, but in the end went for a Wacker.

They largest share of my collection are vintage Friodurs and more recent Austs.
I found that Ralf Aust offers exceptional value for money and, a rarity nowadays, his razors come shave-ready.

He offers carbon and stainless steel razors in 5/8 and 6/8 sizes; 6/8 Bismarck style and 7/8 blades in carbon only.
His standard points are square, round, and Spanish, but he has done several French points for me as well.
Within the range of blades mentioned above, he is willing tailor the razor to your ideas and has a wider range of materials for scales than shown on his website.
Currently, he is working on a 6/8 size 7-day set for me where the scales are all made from different woods.

He seems to produce the razors all himself, which I like, and I have found him always a pleasure to deal with. With the exception of maybe one or two, I bought all my razors directly from him, which - as I live outside of the EU - allows him to deduct 19% German VAT from his listed prices. (In Europe, listed prices generally include already the prevailing VAT rate).

So, not surprisingly, my vote is Aust.

B.

Top Bottom